RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma Firewall.

itGeeks

So it turns out that not only is the firewall not a 'Stealth' (best) firewall it turns out it does not do 'statefull packet inspection' aka SPI either. The more I dig into this product the closer I get to RMA.

That doesn't sound good at all.  I think those are some basic requirements.  Especially when you take into consideration the cost of the Luma.

Exactly...

They sent me return shipping label today.

I actually hate to do it, but that's too much money to hope they deliver. 

They sent me return shipping label today.

I actually hate to do it, but that's too much money to hope they deliver. 

I agree with you, Its to much of a risk at this point. They offered me an ext. on the return policy if I agreed to be part of the beta but I am thinking to follow most everyone else here and RMA it. I think at this point I just want to build a dedicated low power Celeron J1900 server to run Untangle and build out from there using either my OM MR-1750 for wireless or try the new ubiq AmpliFi and for my daughter I would also need to add Circle by Disney. This will not be as elegant as it could of been had Luma proved what it claimed but at this point I just don't think we are going to get a perfect all in one solution from any of these company's. By separating all the components we will get the best in performance, security, WiFi at the cost of having to manage all three system separately. What email did you use to get your RMA? How long did it take for them to send you the label?

I originally e-mailed them at earlysupporter@getluma.com.

After that is came from the normal support e-mail. At first I asked for a label, then they agreed to still sell to me at the after referral rate of $189 in my case. Thought about selling it on E-Bay for a profit. After all just decided to send it back and be done with it. After final request it took around 24 hrs for the label.

If they'll keep you in beta, yet still take a return if you desire I see little harm in keeping it. Unless it drives up your blood pressure. In my case I too felt it would never be the final product I kept so might as well send it back now. I'm still not sure Eero is given me a lot more than I already had with my Asus wireless AC router and I already own it. 

Also like you I'm starting to wonder if it isn't just best to get real equipment instead of the dumbed down equipment for the average user (like me :).  Given you have expertise and already have Open Mesh why don't you just go that route. More power, you're familiar with it and it's not a forever beta product.

I have been looking at these products.  I am torn between getting a single router with better coverage or getting two of these mesh type AP's.  I have good coverage with what I have except for the last 25-30 feet at the far end.  I want to either get a router like what Dave mentioned in #299 or #300 or pfsense.  I tried Sophos a couple years ago but didn't like it.  Their terminology was not very self explanatory.  Even after reading the documentation.  It was very understandable.   I am hoping pfsense is better.  At least from the examples I have seen.  They have logical names for inbound/outbound, source ip/destination ip, etc etc.  I don't know anything about untangle.  I just want something I don't need a PHD in.  I don't mind doing some port number investigating to get everything working correctly.  I know what I need to open and closed.  I just want something that calls things what they should be called.

I have been looking at these products.  I am torn between getting a single router with better coverage or getting two of these mesh type AP's.  I have good coverage with what I have except for the last 25-30 feet at the far end.  I want to either get a router like what Dave mentioned in #299 or #300 or pfsense.  I tried Sophos a couple years ago but didn't like it.  Their terminology was not very self explanatory.  Even after reading the documentation.  It was very understandable.   I am hoping pfsense is better.  At least from the examples I have seen.  They have logical names for inbound/outbound, source ip/destination ip, etc etc.  I don't know anything about untangle.  I just want something I don't need a PHD in.  I don't mind doing some port number investigating to get everything working correctly.  I know what I need to open and closed.  I just want something that calls things what they should be called.

Take a hard look at Untangle, Its going to be easier to setup and manage then pfSence in my humble opinion. They now offer a home license for 5.00 a month or 50.00 a year for all you can eat, This is a bargen price to pay for this type of protection. They have a 14 day trial, Download it and take it for a spine. There is also a live demo site where you can have a look. Untangle is very much catering to the home market now as you can tell from the low pricing unlike Sophos/pfSense and support is only a phone call away. Untangle has been doing some really great work with v12 and v12.1, I can't wait to get mine setup again.

Live Demo http://demo.untangle.com/auth/login?url=/setup/welcome.do&realm=Administrator

Untangle at Home https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall/untangle-at-home/

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

Take a hard look at Untangle, Its going to be easier to setup and manage then pfSence in my humble opinion. They now offer a home license for 5.00 a month or 50.00 a year for all you can eat, This is a bargen price to pay for this type of protection. They have a 14 day trial, Download it and take it for a spine. There is also a live demo site where you can have a look. Untangle is very much catering to the home market now as you can tell from the low pricing unlike Sophos/pfSense and support is only a phone call away. Untangle has been doing some really great work with v12 and v12.1, I can't wait to get mine setup again.

Live Demo http://demo.untangle.com/auth/login?url=/setup/welcome.do&realm=Administrator

Untangle at Home https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall/untangle-at-home/

Thanks, that sounds pretty good.  I will definitely check it out the live demo.  I have used the following over the years.  Smoothwall, Astaro (pre sophos), Sophos (home version), some hardware appliances I can't remember the names of.  I either had the problem of expensive per ip licensing or documentation/configuration issues.  Spending time setting up a deny all outbound.  Then poking the required holes in is (sometimes) time well spent.  Until you have programs that don't document all the ports they use.  You end up running netstat and wireshark to find out.

I have a 2011 box and a QNAP TS-451+ running full-time. I'm so ignorant, but oblige me. Would it be reasonable to run Untangle on a VM either on bare-metal(?) or on top of another OS?