RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mattd390

Need a platform for a new super router?

itGeeks

Thanks to both of you for the quick response. I just have to decide if I want to limit myself to only 2 Ethernet port and get this board or go with a 4 port and get the one listed below.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=SY-E2009B

Thoughts on the system above?

Drashna just wondering y you chose the Samaung Evo over Pro?

Jason

That's a slick little machine. I wish my Sophia UTM box had IPMI. It's a G1610 Intel Celeron with 8 GB RAM and 4x 1 GB NICs. Only using 2 of them.

schoondoggy

Big fan of remote access, IPMI, iLo, DRAC, on servers, but why would you want it on a firewall, Sophos, Untangle, PFsense? Just curious.

Drashna Jaelre

Big fan of remote access, IPMI, iLo, DRAC, on servers, but why would you want it on a firewall, Sophos, Untangle, PFsense? Just curious.

For me? Reinstallation. As the drive on my sophos box died a few months ago, having the IPMI stuff made it dirt simple to reinstall. Especially as my server rack is in a rather "hard to reach" location.  Being able to manage it this way remotely makes it much simplier. 

I mean, until the IPMI stopped working altogether. 

itGeeks

Agree with Drashna, For a headless system of any type IPMI is the only way to go.

Drashna what was the make and model of the drive that failed?

Y did you choose the Evo over the Pro for the new drive? Just wondering, I always use the Pro because to my understanding it has better memory and should be used in applications that has many writes.

Jason

My next WIndows Server and UTM builds will have IPMI for sure. Fortunately both have been so stable they just run unattended and don't require intervention other than RDP. But when they do, I have to drag out an ancient monitor.

Drashna Jaelre

Agree with Drashna, For a headless system of any type IPMI is the only way to go.

Y did you choose the Evo over the Pro for the new drive? Just wondering, I always use the Pro because to my understanding it has better memory and should be used in applications that has many writes.

The ASRock RACK J1900D2Y board.  

I'm plugging the power directly into the board, IIRC, not into a separate power supply. 

And it may be a simple fix, but I haven't bothered to mess with it, because it is a production machine and it *is* the router.

I do want to replace it with a 1U system, namely just to mount it.

itGeeks

schoondoggy

I guess my underlining point is cost. A small form factor server with IPMI like the one listed above is $320 + memory + drive. A J1900 server board $170 + case + PS + memory + drive + maybe more ports. If you are trying to hit a certain form factor you will need to head down one of those routes. When I try Sophos-Untangle-PFsense I tend to get a used slimline PC from Dell, Lenovo, HP or Acer. Currently, I am playing with Untangle on a e8600 cpu with 4GB of memory and a 200GB drive from Craigslist for $50 and a quad port Intel Gigabit NIC from eBay for $30. Even if I throw in a small SSD it will still be under $150. Granted, newer systems will use a lot less power. IPMI is great for headless install, but how many times do you do that in a year, once? On application servers I use remote access, IPMI, iLo, DRAC, to troubleshoot and generally restart a server. That's not going to work on a firewall.

No IPMI $150 or IPMI $400+.

ShadowPeo

IPMI, but I just write it off as an operational expense :P