RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mattd390

Need a platform for a new super router?

mattd390

I got my open box ASRock J1900D2Y.  The box looked pretty good and I believe it came with all of the accessories.  The board booted up on the first try.  

774BC708-8837-4D31-BEB2-C04466113EB4.jpg

C21B6DD8-84F5-45F0-BEC5-B5919CB3115D.jpg

I took the old D525 based board out of my old 2U case and threw the new J1900D2Y in.

ffe9b7b9-2928-4f45-9c04-0712a3ba7ebb.jpg

C845B165-CAA5-49FF-9C39-E2C731733E10.jpg

Untangle was installed in a few minutes via an ISO mounted as virtual media through IPMI.  A truly headless install.  

Well, I'm using Sophos UTM still.   

And no. I even did a reinstall over IPMI when my system drive failed in it (oh noes!).  Reinstalled to an SSD, and sometime after that, the IPMI module failed.

Oops, that's right.  Sorry, i forgot you ran Sophos not Untangle.  

oj88

Am I the only one still using an N40L as a router? I have Untangle NGFW Complete running in it. It's essentially an ESXi box where I test routers/firewalls. I've just recently moved from pfSense to Untangle and I have both VMs there, though only the latter is active at the moment. Virtualizing has an advantage of being able to switch between firewalls to be able to do live tests.

I did have to put in an Intel quad-port gigabit NIC and the RAM upgraded to 10GB.

• Like 1

gibster

A couple of internal pictures of the QOTOM-Q190G4. It appears the ram and M.2 SSD are Samsung manufactured. You can see another port for the wireless card in the corner between the ram and to the ssd that's also available for the box.

Haven't got around to setting up Untangle yet, still having some issues with my new NBN FTTN connection here in Australia. My ISP (Telstra) won't provide SIP information for my home phone number, and won't unlock configuration settings so I can add my San Diego number to the modem. They have custom firmware on the Technicolor TG799vac VDSL modem which locks SIP configuration. So I'm having to decide how I'm going to resolve that situation. Will probably just ignore the home phone number since 50% of the calls are junk calls anyway. Get a new Fritz!Box 7490 to handle everything else. Then setup Untangle to run between the Modem and my Switch and filter everything on the wired network. I'm going to have to think about all this for a while. 

I've got a Cisco ATA should be here tomorrow, so will experiment and see if I can work anything out. But from all I've read it doesn't look like I can add an external ATA to a modem and still use the ATA built into the modem at the same time.

IMG_4220-medium.JPG

IMG_4219-medium.JPG

IMG_4218-medium.JPG

• Like 1

ShadowPeo

But then again, those Xeon-Ds have 2x10GbE ports, and multiple 1GbE ports.  Great router boxes. 

If you need 10GBE for your internet connection, I want to know what you're doing that needs that much bandwidth, adult film industry perhaps... In all seriousness I take it that it is for routing between VLAN's

Mostly.  I need to get an electrician in and run a 20-30A circuit to the server room. 

As a thought why not two independent 15's UPS on each, that way if one blows it does not take out the whole lot.

This solution might be a little more palatable to some:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=SY-E2009B

Interesting, wondering if I can get rack "wings" for it (have to be "wings", as they are to big to be "ears" either that or I call it Dumbo)

Haven't got around to setting up Untangle yet, still having some issues with my new NBN FTTN connection here in Australia. My ISP (Telstra) won't provide SIP information for my home phone number, and won't unlock configuration settings so I can add my San Diego number to the modem

Your surprised by Hell$rta's response.... seriously. I hate you I have to survive with a really poor ADSL connection :( I can get 2800kbs on a good day :(

Edited by ShadowPeo
  • Like 1

gibster

Your surprised by Hell$rta's response.... seriously. I hate you I have to survive with a really poor ADSL connection :( I can get 2800kbs on a good day :(

I filed an online complaint with the Communications Ombudsman and will make another call to Telstra Friday letting them know I have and see if I can get any resolution to the situation. It's basically they are giving me a choice, my old home phone number or my San Diego number but not both.

You'll get your upgrade one of these days. I read today that starting next year we could upgrade to FTTP if we wanted to pay for the fibre between the node and the premises. I'll make sure I buy a house right next to a node in the future,

ShadowPeo

I filed an online complaint with the Communications Ombudsman and will make another call to Telstra Friday letting them know I have and see if I can get any resolution to the situation. It's basically they are giving me a choice, my old home phone number or my San Diego number but not both.

You'll get your upgrade one of these days. I read today that starting next year we could upgrade to FTTP if we wanted to pay for the fibre between the node and the premises. I'll make sure I buy a house right next to a node in the future,

Ombudsman normally manages to straighten that shit out. As soon as you give them a claims number shit gets sorted real fast.

Hrm considering where we are I might have to find out more about that pay for your own fibre deal, I have the succinct feeling that they will make us pay for the HCF anyway.

• Like 1

gibster

Ombudsman normally manages to straighten that shit out. As soon as you give them a claims number shit gets sorted real fast.

Hrm considering where we are I might have to find out more about that pay for your own fibre deal, I have the succinct feeling that they will make us pay for the HCF anyway.

I called Telstra today, they had rang me yesterday afternoon about the complaint. The person that called was busy, and wanted to call me back this afternoon, I explained I work from 10am to 10pm driving a bus and can't be answering phone calls. Of course they only accept calls at their "Complaint Resolution Center" from 9:15am to 5:30pm. I'll give them another call tomorrow morning and let them know I'll be calling Friday on my day off when we both have time to "Resolve the problem".

Cheers

itGeeks

I got my open box ASRock J1900D2Y.  The box looked pretty good and I believe it came with all of the accessories.  The board booted up on the first try.  

774BC708-8837-4D31-BEB2-C04466113EB4.jpg

C21B6DD8-84F5-45F0-BEC5-B5919CB3115D.jpg

I took the old D525 based board out of my old 2U case and threw the new J1900D2Y in.

ffe9b7b9-2928-4f45-9c04-0712a3ba7ebb.jpg

C845B165-CAA5-49FF-9C39-E2C731733E10.jpg

Untangle was installed in a few minutes via an ISO mounted as virtual media through IPMI.  A truly headless install.  

Oops, that's right.  Sorry, i forgot you ran Sophos not Untangle.  

Thanks for the picks. Did you every have to hookup a monitor and keyboard to the system to install Untangle? I am trying to see if IPMI was active out of the box or you needed to activate it. Did IPMI pull an address from your DHCP server or is it a dedicated IP Address outside your LAN address?

I am asking these questions because I am itching to build a new Untangle box but all my monitors/keyboards are in storage and I am not looking for a major project rite now mostly because I don't have the room in my new temporary place of residence so I would want a complete headless install of Untangle.

Edited by itGeeks

Drashna Jaelre

Thanks for the picks. Did you every have to hookup a monitor and keyboard to the system to install Untangle? I am trying to see if IPMI was active out of the box or you needed to activate it. Did IPMI pull an address from your DHCP server or is it a dedicated IP Address outside your LAN address?

I am asking these questions because I am itching to build a new Untangle box but all my monitors/keyboards are in storage and I am not looking for a major project rite now mostly because I don't have the room in my new temporary place of residence so I would want a complete headless install of Untangle.

For me, no, I didn't have to hook up a monitor, it worked right out of box.  Though, it helps to do so to know what IP address it gets, or at least grab the MAC address and set a reservation. 

Personally, I set a static IP address in the normal, usable range, and change the default password. 

mattd390

Like Drashna said, no monitor, keyboard or mouse was needed.   I used ipmiview to find the IP address.  My IP address came from my DHCP server.  

FWIW, after I installed Untangle though, I was unable to get the IPMI to let me remote into the Untangle box.  I could reboot it and all of that stuff, but I couldn't control it like I could before.  I haven't had a chance to dig into the problem much (4 month old baby).

Hope this helps!