RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mattd390

Need a platform for a new super router?

Drashna Jaelre

To be honest, the J1900 Celeron is plenty for a bare metal router OS.  

I'm not a typical user, and have a lot of traffic.   As I've said, just about every feature is on in Sophos (Intrusion Detection, web filtering, IP filtering, etc) and it doesn't make a dent. 

The only issue I've had with it is the IPMI seems to have died, and the system disk failed on me (seriously set up those weekly backups! it saved my ass!)  So now it's running a 120GB Samsung 850 Evo in it.  Didn't make much of a difference in performance, though. 

Glad you agree, Though it will not keep cost down as I still need to run a powerful VM server for other task. My point is/was that I don't think it's a healthy choice to run your router/UTM on a VM Microsoft or otherwise and would be best to have it running on a low powered Celeron j1900 appliance stand alone. There are way to many updates to Windows install that the system needs to reboot and more chance of problems that could bring the entire network down to trust a major device like a router/UTM  to. I feel safer having Untangle installed on dedicated hardware so if anything happens with Microsoft updates it does not bring down my entire network and internet connection.

As for HyperV, I'm using Datacenter as the host for HyperV (Server 2012R2), and it gets updates once or twice a month, for the most part. 

It's up most of the time. 

However, beacuse my systems are prone to "weird issues" (I am seriously about to take a shotgun to my storage server), the more segregated that I can get the systems, the better.  Less likely that one thing will inadvertantly intefere with another. 

Need?  What's this need you speak of?  lol

:P 

Actually, I got the system for cheap, and the X5660's from a friend (data center dump)

It also runs Folding@home when it's idle.  

Though as for power consumption, I have solar. So I don't care.  

Mostly.  I need to get an electrician in and run a 20-30A circuit to the server room. 

itGeeks

To be honest, the J1900 Celeron is plenty for a bare metal router OS.  

I'm not a typical user, and have a lot of traffic.   As I've said, just about every feature is on in Sophos (Intrusion Detection, web filtering, IP filtering, etc) and it doesn't make a dent. 

The only issue I've had with it is the IPMI seems to have died, and the system disk failed on me (seriously set up those weekly backups! it saved my ass!)  So now it's running a 120GB Samsung 850 Evo in it.  Didn't make much of a difference in performance, though. 

As for HyperV, I'm using Datacenter as the host for HyperV (Server 2012R2), and it gets updates once or twice a month, for the most part. 

It's up most of the time. 

However, beacuse my systems are prone to "weird issues" (I am seriously about to take a shotgun to my storage server), the more segregated that I can get the systems, the better.  Less likely that one thing will inadvertantly intefere with another. 

:P

Actually, I got the system for cheap, and the X5660's from a friend (data center dump)

It also runs Folding@home when it's idle.  

Though as for power consumption, I have solar. So I don't care.  

Mostly.  I need to get an electrician in and run a 20-30A circuit to the server room. 

Thanks for the info...

itGeeks

I have thought about it, but most USB 3.0 Ethernet adapters cheap chipsets, like Asix.

Something does not sit well with me and the thought of using a USB to Ethernet adapter for something as critical as the router/UTM. Not only that I have heard you have to be very careful what chip set these have or else the router OS may not support it. No thanks I will stick to Intel on-board or PCIe for this type of application.

Edited by itGeeks

Big Worm

Glad you agree, Though it will not keep cost down as I still need to run a powerful VM server for other task. My point is/was that I don't think it's a healthy choice to run your router/UTM on a VM Microsoft or otherwise and would be best to have it running on a low powered Celeron j1900 appliance stand alone. There are way to many updates to Windows install that the system needs to reboot and more chance of problems that could bring the entire network down to trust a major device like a router/UTM  to. I feel safer having Untangle installed on dedicated hardware so if anything happens with Microsoft updates it does not bring down my entire network and internet connection.

By cost I meant that you don't have to buy some powerful machine to be able to be a vm server.  Yes if you still need a another server for that than cost will be higher.  

But we agree on the keep it simple principle.

Jason

I guess my server is over-powered strictly as a Sophie UTM home appliance.

Silverstone case

Intel G1610 Celeron 2.60 ghz

8 GB RAM

60 GB SSD

50/10 Mbps cable connection

Thought about creating a ESXi VM box of it and running Sophos UTM as a VM but never bothered.

itGeeks

This solution might be a little more palatable to some:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=SY-E2009B

Nice catch, Yup I would say add that to the list though its much more expensive then the J1900 solutions we been talking about. I just wonder how loud the fan is?

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

jmwills

Nice catch, Yup I would say add that to the list. I just wonder how loud the fan is?

It's a SOC, so that FAN can't be too loud, I wouldn't imagine.

gibster

New unit arrived from China today. That was really quick compared to items I've ordered from there in the past. Here are first pics. This no name box has 8GB ram, and a 128GB m2 SSD

IMG_4213-medium.JPG

IMG_4214-medium.JPG

IMG_4216-medium.JPG

• Like 1