RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mattd390

Need a platform for a new super router?

itGeeks

It was a simple jump for me. I would have all of the on board processing power needed to run a virtual UTM/LoadBalancer, etc plus more VM's if needed.

Though Untangle was running great in a Hyper-V VM I been thinking it would be best to have a low power appliance dedicated to the router/UTM task?

itGeeks

GSKILL memory has treated me very well. :)

Sadly, they don't do ECC (unbuffered or registered). 

Does GSKILL manufacture there own memory like Samsung?

itGeeks

That would totally be my bad. :)

But then again, those Xeon-Ds have 2x10GbE ports, and multiple 1GbE ports.  Great router boxes. 

schoon you know how we are, We start the thread driving a 4 cylinder Vega and before you know it we are driving a Lamborghini :D

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 2

Drashna Jaelre

Does GSKILL manufacture there own memory like Samsung?

Pretty sure that they don't. 

Weirdly, I don't have a stick laying round, so I can't verify. 

schoon you know how we are, We start the thread driving a 4 cylinder Vega and before you know it we are driving a Lamborghini :D

lol, every time. :P

Do I need dual Xeon X5660's for Emby? No.  Is it awesome seeing 24 threads, and barely stress the CPU when 3-4 people are streaming/transcoding? Hell yeah.

jmwills

Do I need dual Xeon X5660's for Emby? No.  Is it awesome seeing 24 threads, and barely stress the CPU when 3-4 people are streaming/transcoding? Hell yeah.

Need?  What's this need you speak of?  lol

• Like 2

jmwills

I have thought about it, but most USB 3.0 Ethernet adapters cheap chipsets, like Asix.

Yea, I don't know that I want to trust something as critical as load balancing on traffic management to something cheap.  Is the E-200 overkill, yea, but I could run a couple of more VM's in there.

Big Worm

Though Untangle was running great in a Hyper-V VM I been thinking it would be best to have a low power appliance dedicated to the router/UTM task?

I am a believer in this.  It keeps things simple and keeps cost way down.

itGeeks

Pretty sure that they don't. 

Weirdly, I don't have a stick laying round, so I can't verify. 

LMAO, That's to funny. A little geek fun never hurt anyone. LOL

itGeeks

I am a believer in this.  It keeps things simple and keeps cost way down.

Glad you agree, Though it will not keep cost down as I still need to run a powerful VM server for other task. My point is/was that I don't think it's a healthy choice to run your router/UTM on a VM Microsoft or otherwise and would be best to have it running on a low powered Celeron j1900 appliance stand alone. There are way to many updates to Windows install that the system needs to reboot and more chance of problems that could bring the entire network down to trust a major device like a router/UTM  to. I feel safer having Untangle installed on dedicated hardware so if anything happens with Microsoft updates it does not bring down my entire network and internet connection.

Edited by itGeeks