RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mattd390

Need a platform for a new super router?

Drashna Jaelre

Shew, that's what I ordered.  Good ole GSKILL.

GSKILL memory has treated me very well. :) 

Sadly, they don't do ECC (unbuffered or registered). 

itGeeks

I honestly have no idea.  It's been too long.

However, It's most likely GSKILL non-ECC RAM (as that's most likely what I had laying around)

Thanks. How many GB did you install?

Drashna Jaelre

Thanks. How many GB did you install?

4GBs. 

Was going to install 8GB, but it didn't like the two sticks.  Works great with 4GBs, and is usually half used (I have pretty much EVERYTHING enabled on Sophos, and average about 1TB of traffic per week) 

itGeeks

4GBs. 

Was going to install 8GB, but it didn't like the two sticks.  Works great with 4GBs, and is usually half used (I have pretty much EVERYTHING enabled on Sophos, and average about 1TB of traffic per week) 

Hmm that's interesting, Maybe something with the brand or type of memory you installed? According to the specs for the motherboard it does say duel-channel so I wonder what was wrong?? I am going to build this system I am pretty shure and go back to using Untangle, I will try some Samsung memory x2 4GB sticks and see how it goes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XN3BZC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=BYD6B2G23Q6M&coliid=I6T3WKT01GG46

As you know Asrock does have a compatability list if all else fails http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=J1900D2Y#Memory

Edited by itGeeks

Drashna Jaelre

Actually, I think one of the sticks was bad, or the contacts were.   Not sure, I'd have to find it... 

And yup, I usually check the QVL when buying parts, because I'm super paranoid about that, especially for mission critical systems. 

itGeeks

Actually, I think one of the sticks was bad, or the contacts were.   Not sure, I'd have to find it... 

And yup, I usually check the QVL when buying parts, because I'm super paranoid about that, especially for mission critical systems. 

Sounds like it could be bad. Samsung memory is not listed on there QVL but lets face it these company cant test everything, Samsung is my go to for memory just like SSD's so I am going to give it a shot and see what happens unless you see anything with it that may not work?

Edited by itGeeks

mattd390

I ordered 2x4GBs of GSKILL. I'll reply back if it works or not for me.

itGeeks

I ordered 2x4GBs of GSKILL. I'll reply back if it works or not for me.

Thanks, Could you provide a link to the memory you ordered?