RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mattd390

Need a platform for a new super router?

schoondoggy

IPMI, but I just write it off as an operational expense :P

You could justify the higher CapEx by showing power savings on the OpEx, depending on how open minded your CFO is.

itGeeks

Like Drashna said, no monitor, keyboard or mouse was needed.   I used ipmiview to find the IP address.  My IP address came from my DHCP server.  

FWIW, after I installed Untangle though, I was unable to get the IPMI to let me remote into the Untangle box.  I could reboot it and all of that stuff, but I couldn't control it like I could before.  I haven't had a chance to dig into the problem much (4 month old baby).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info, Please keep me updated when you find the cause of IPMI not working after installing Untangle.

ShadowPeo

You could justify the higher CapEx by showing power savings on the OpEx, depending on how open minded your CFO is.

I am the CFO, and the CIO, and the CEO :D

Need this not only for use in the business, but also for product testing and evaluation as we want to provide the best solution possible to our clients :P

mattd390

Thanks for the info, Please keep me updated when you find the cause of IPMI not working after installing Untangle.

Will do!

Drashna Jaelre

Drashna what was the make and model of the drive that failed?

Y did you choose the Evo over the Pro for the new drive? Just wondering, I always use the Pro because to my understanding it has better memory and should be used in applications that has many writes.

Cost, mostly. 

That, and the Pro version wasn't in stock at that time, and I didn't want to grab an older model SSD. 

itGeeks

Thanks for the update,

1. How is the Evo performing for you?

2. Do you feel you made the right choice in choosing the Evo over the Pro?

3. Do you feel your lacking anything with using the Evo over Pro?

4. If the Pro was in stock would you have purchased the Pro over Evo and if yes y?

5. Should I also purchase the Evo over the Pro for use in the firewall/UTM?

6. What was the make/model of the drive that failed on you?

7. How old was the drive that failed on you?

Its funny because many benchmarks I looked at it seems the Evo outperforms the Pro and that seems a bit strange to me considering the Pro cost so much more, I know the Pro uses better chips but y does the Evo seem to perform so much better in many test?

Drashna Jaelre

Thanks for the update,

1. How is the Evo performing for you?

2. Do you feel you made the right choice in choosing the Evo over the Pro?

3. Do you feel your lacking anything with using the Evo over Pro?

4. If the Pro was in stock would you have purchased the Pro over Evo and if yes y?

5. Should I also purchase the Evo over the Pro for use in the firewall/UTM?

6. What was the make/model of the drive that failed on you?

7. How old was the drive that failed on you?

Its funny because many benchmarks I looked at it seems the Evo outperforms the Pro and that seems a bit strange to me considering the Pro cost so much more, I know the Pro uses better chips but y does the Evo seem to perform so much better in many test?

1. Just fine. I was using a WD Scorpio? (the laptop drive) before.  No real noticeable difference though.
  2. I probably could have just bought a HDD.  But SSDs are cheap. :)
  3. Nope. 
  4. Maybe.  Depends on the specs and price.
  5. A HDD would be just fine. As I said above, there isn't a noticeable performance difference.  However, if power consumption and heat generation are a concern, then yes, go SSD, as these will be lower in general. 

The only place that this might make a difference is the web filter's cache. But I suspect that you'd need a lot more users to really make an impact on that. 

BJWTech

I would rather get a a chip with both AES-NI and QuickAssist. I would not invest in a system that that was missing those technologies at this point in time. Just my .02....

It is hard to beat this one; http://store.netgate.com/ADI/RCC-VE-2440.aspx

Brian