RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

mounting extra drives below the HDD cage ?

epicwanlink

hi all

just a quick question, im running out of room with the 4 drives in the drive bay so im going to buy 2 brackets to turn the 5.25 bays into 3.5 bays and then run a raid card  to connect all 6 drives but what i wanting to do is ad an Adaptec RAID 5805 and attempt to mount 2 more drives to the bottom of the case does anyone know of anything that will fit there to hold the 2 drives well ?

I found that laying the disk vertically on its side means it wedges under the existing drive tray without any other support.  Might not be secure enough if you are moving it around to lan parties but it is a fairly tight fit. Not sure on safety of wedging a drive there but that is about the only solution I have found that doesn't involve a dremel.  I run 2 x Silverstone 5.25 - 3.5" adapters, as they also have  2.5" drive screw holes as well, so I can fit 6 drives in the 2x 5.25" slots: 2 x 3.5 and up to 4x 2.5".  I use one 2.5" for the os ssd and another for a small downloading drive for newsgroups and torrents that gests thrashed.  This leaves the other 3.5" for regular storage/backup.

I am going to try to set up my m1015 card soon as well which should give me 10 drives, but no HW raid 5.