RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

FIrst Impression of the nVidia Shield

pcdoc

Well I received my shield on Saturday and immediately hooked it up.

Pros:

1. Setup was painless.

2. The performance was amazing.  By far the quickest I have seen from any media playback device.

3. Playback quality was great.  I did not see any issues and it played every bit as good as my HTPC.

4. DTS-Ma audio pass through perfectly to the reciever.

Cons:

1. TrueHD sound tracks still not supported which means 30% of my existing movies do not pass through the receiver and end up playing as PCM not the native sound track.

2. Audio controls are a bit quirky in Plex.  There seems to be an overlap in functionality and they do not necessarily behave as you would expect.

Once again we have another one of these devices that claims pass through that does not work correctly.  Yes it is the closest I have seen yet but it is not quite there yet.  Not sure if I am going to keep this.

• Like 1

awraynor

Pros:

1. Setup was painless.

2. The performance was amazing.  By far the quickest I have seen from any media playback device.

3. Playback quality was great.  I did not see any issues and it played every bit as good as my HTPC.

Cons:

1. TrueHD sound tracks still not supported which means 30% of my existing movies do not pass through the receiver and end up playing as PCM not the native sound track.

2. Audio controls are a bit quirky in Plex.  There seems to be an overlap in functionality and they do not necessarily behave as you would expect.

Once again we have another one of these devices that claims pass through that does not work correctly.  Yes it is the closest I have seen yet but it is not quite there yet.  Not sure if I am going to keep this.

Great to hear what you thought of the device. Also great to see these power sipping boxes increasing their abilities so we can

get rid of full-fledged PC's. 

Can't wait for Play Station Vue to become available on more platforms. I cut cable and that's how we get TV so for now I'm using

Fire TV's throughout the house. It's good enough, the FireTV stick however suffers as you would expect. 

itGeeks

Pros:

1. Setup was painless.

Cons:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Regarding TrueHD playback, Are your movies in a MKV? Found some interesting info. TrueHD support was added in the 2.0 update for Shield however only the native video app could take advantage of it and other players should soon according to the notes, Have a look at the 2.0 update notes below.

https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes/1

Now it seems Plex has added support for TrueHD if the movie is in an MKV and they are working on supporting others, Take a look at post #4 below from a Plex employee

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/885686/truehd-dts-ma-an-update-from-ian-bird-of-plex-as-to-current-work-in-progress/

Also have a look at post #124 below, It was posted yesterday by a Plex employee. It seems full TrueHD support is very close from Plex.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/885686/shield-android-tv/truehd-dts-ma-an-update-from-ian-bird-of-plex-as-to-current-work-in-progress/9/

Edited by itGeeks

pcdoc

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Regarding TrueHD playback, Are your movies in a MKV? Found some interesting info. TrueHD support was added in the 2.0 update for Shield however only the native video app could take advantage of it and other players should soon according to the notes, Have a look at the 2.0 update notes below.

https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes/1

Now it seems Plex has added support for TrueHD if the movie is in an MKV and they are working on supporting others, Take a look at post #4 below from a Plex employee

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/885686/truehd-dts-ma-an-update-from-ian-bird-of-plex-as-to-current-work-in-progress/

Also have a look at post #124 below, It was posted yesterday by a Plex employee. It seems full TrueHD support is very close from Plex.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/885686/shield-android-tv/truehd-dts-ma-an-update-from-ian-bird-of-plex-as-to-current-work-in-progress/9/

I saw this when I did some research.  I also just got a tweet this morning from Plex stating they where working on it but would not offer an ETA.  I imaging it is a couple of month away still (as there updates are about 2 month apart) so I am still torn as to whether or not I will keeping it.  Other than that major flaw, it is a great unit.  I did mess up and buy the version that only comes with a game controller, but fortunately it works great with my Harmony Remote and Hub.

itGeeks

I saw this when I did some research.  I also just got a tweet this morning from Plex stating they where working on it but would not offer an ETA.  I imaging it is a couple of month away still (as there updates are about 2 month apart) so I am still torn as to whether or not I will keeping it.  Other than that major flaw, it is a great unit.  I did mess up and buy the version that only comes with a game controller, but fortunately it works great with my Harmony Remote and Hub.

Are your movies in MKV? If not would you be able to use MakeMKV and rip 1 or 2 that have TrueHD audio and retest? My understanding is that should work and if it does then I am golden with my movie collection.

pcdoc

Are your movies in MKV? If not would you be able to use MakeMKV and rip 1 or 2 that have TrueHD audio and retest? My understanding is that should work and if it does then I am golden with my movie collection.

Yes they are MKV.  I confirmed with Plex it is not supported yet.  They are working on it but would not give an ETC.  All my movies are MKV ripped with only the HD sound tracks (DTS-MA or TrueHD).

itGeeks

Yes they are MKV.  I confirmed with Plex it is not supported yet.  They are working on it but would not give an ETC.  All my movies are MKV ripped with only the HD sound tracks (DTS-MA or TrueHD).

Thanks for the update. It sure does seem some of theses products get so close to perfect then lack a key feature. Hope Plex supports it soon.

RobbieH

There is some incorrect information here. TruHD and DTS Master are fully supported, including bitstreaming. I own three of these, so I should know. :)  Plex currently does not support TruHD, but does support DTS-MA. This is a PLEX limitation, not a Shield limitation. Certain builds of Kodi, and all current builds of SPMC DO support all formats, including bitstreaming. SPMC is the fully supported fork of Kodi for Android TV, and is recommended over Kodi. The SPMC developer was the developer of Kodi for Android TV, and has split off to do his own project. Emby may support the lossless formats, but I abandoned Emby a while back and haven't tried it, I can't get over the clunky interface.

pcdoc

You are absolutely correct with your comments on support and it is a plex issue. I did not state that accurately enough as I treated the device and native software as one. It does not change the fact that if you buy the shield with the expectation of using plex, as plex has grown significantly in user base, that you will not get support for TrueHD. Good point and thanks bring it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobbieH

I believe TrueHD will work if you use LPCM instead of Bitstream. I don't know about you, but most of my rips I use the DTS-MA anyway, and maybe even all of them. I can't remember if I had any where I had to use the TrueHD stream or not.

I just mainly wanted folks that are considering the Shield to not think that it has a problem with TrueHD.

For me, SPMC with PlexKodiConnect to tie it to my Plex server works better than using Plex. I can't stand the fact that Plex does not have skip-forward and skip-backward buttons. FF and RW are relics from video tape, and have no business in Plex IMO. So I get the benefits of the Plex server, plus the better SPMC interface.

Edited by RobbieH