RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Trig0r

Adding the Hyper-V Role to a server

jmwills

I have only one Win10 VM, so I'll check mine and see if I can help out on this.  My install was prior to the anniversary edition.

Jason

Thanks. My Win 10 VM instance is a Win 7 OS that has been upgraded to Win 10. So far it appears that could be a factor.

Drashna Jaelre

Are all of your Win 10 VMs fresh OS installs?  Or were any of them prior versions of Windows upgraded to Win 10?  Just curious.

Also, while each of your Win 10 VMs are running, if you go into Windows Server Backup and pretend to edit your Backup Schedule and Add New items, under Hyper-V, do they all show as (Online) instead of (Offline)?

3 are fresh installs, one is upgraded from Windows 8.

jmwills

My one Win10 client is at version 10596.545 and I am able to back it up using Server backup.

Jason

When you go into Windows Server Backup host and act as if you're adding a new item and expand the Hyper-V VM list, are each of you Win 10 VM instances listed as (Offline) or (Online)?

When I do this, my Win 10 VMs all show as (Offline). At first I though this was because they were upgraded instances. However last night I created a fresh Win 10 VM from scratch using latest build 1607 and the end result has consistent issue.

Edited by Jason

jmwills

Mine showed as offline and I had no available storage to even attempt a backup.  I can attach a portable drive tonight and give it a try.

Drashna Jaelre

Mine show as online, all of them.

jmwills

Could be a versioning change within Windows 10.  I might try and force the Anniversary update on this one and see what happens.

Jason

Mine show as online, all of them.

Interesting. Online is good. Else it leads to Windows Server Backup issues between host and guest VM.

Based on your info, this could prove to be a Hyper-V issue on the WS12R2 side rather than the guest as I had previously suspected. No Win 10 VMs show as online for me. Only Win 8.1 or earlier. And all Windows Updates have been applied on the WS12R2 box. It reports some sort of protocol version mismatch.

Could be a versioning change within Windows 10. I might try and force the Anniversary update on this one and see what happens.

Thanks. This is helpful info. My Win 10 VM is a clean install of the latest 1607 build. I believe that's the Anniversary edition. Yet I still see same issue.

First noticed this is Server Manager based on Hyper-V error notifications when WSB attempts to backup the Win 10 VM if it is running.

jmwills

If you hit the Win+R keys and type in WinVer you will see the version build