RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Trig0r

Adding the Hyper-V Role to a server

Trig0r

Can someone clear this up for me please,

Yes, it is true, and I'm not talking about the standalone Hyper-V. When you install the Hyper-V role the host OS becomes a VM itself. It still looks like it's a standard Windows host, but the OS becomes a VM and resides in a Parent Partition. See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V#Architecture

Therefore, attaching your storage drives to the host machine is the same as attaching them to a guest VM - it all goes through the Hyper-V hypervisor.

So, according to this guy my 2012 install is now a VM, because when I added the role, it virtualised the host install...

Doesn't sound right to me.

jmwills

It's on Wikipedia, it has to be true.  OMG.  It's called a host for a reason.

Trig0r

Yeah, thats what I thought, guy just says people are wrong and sticks his fingers in his ears..

artiom

When Hyper-V is activated - the host OS becomes kind of "privileged VM with direct access to hardware" as far as I understand it. Well, it is not quite a VM, but the hypervisor is loaded at OS boot and runs all the time - it cannot be switched on or off without OS reboot.

This is why other hypervisors cannot be run when Hyper-V is active, even if no VMs are running at the moment - for example, in order to run VirtualBox or VMWare, the host Windows OS has to be booted with the parameter "hypervisorlaynchtype" set to "off". It is pretty annoying as Hyper-V is required to run mobile emulators for Visual Studio - but this causes either inconvenience that you have to reboot to switch to other hypervisor or have to stick with hyper-v only (vendor lock-in).

Drashna Jaelre
Jason

Recently experienced a peculiar issue with Hyper-V that I can't figure out. Host is a WS12R2 box. Guest is Win 10 OS. WS12R2 Server Backup recently reporting the Win10 VM as Offline. The guest says integration services installed are most current. Seems Microsoft now pushes them via Windows Update vs the vmguest.iso file. Something is wrong with the VSS protocol version between the host and guest don't match.

Can't figure out how to uninstall, reinstall or repair the install of Integration Services within the Win 10 VM. No documented MS instruction. This only affects Win 10 as a guest OS. Both Host and Guest have all most recent updates installed.

Anyone else encounter this yet?

Drashna Jaelre

Recently experienced a peculiar issue with Hyper-V that I can't figure out. Host is a WS12R2 box. Guest is Win 10 OS. WS12R2 Server Backup recently reporting the Win10 VM as Offline. The guest says integration services installed are most current. Seems Microsoft now pushes them via Windows Update vs the vmguest.iso file. Something is wrong with the VSS protocol version between the host and guest don't match.

Can't figure out how to uninstall, reinstall or repair the install of Integration Services within the Win 10 VM. No documented MS instruction. This only affects Win 10 as a guest OS. Both Host and Guest have all most recent updates installed.

Anyone else encounter this yet?

Open the settings for the VM, check the "integration devices" (2nd listed in the "management" section on the left sidebar) and make sure thta everything is checked. 

If they are, then reconfigure the server backup.

Jason

Drashna Jaelre

Wow, odd. 

The 4 Windows 10 VMs I have are unaffected apparently...

Jason

Wow, odd. 

The 4 Windows 10 VMs I have are unaffected apparently...

Are all of your Win 10 VMs fresh OS installs?  Or were any of them prior versions of Windows upgraded to Win 10?  Just curious.

Also, while each of your Win 10 VMs are running, if you go into Windows Server Backup and pretend to edit your Backup Schedule and Add New items, under Hyper-V, do they all show as (Online) instead of (Offline)?