RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PoolHD, DriveBender, and Windows 10

jsox

In 2013 I bought a licensed copy of PoolHD using the HSS discount offered at the time. I installed the product on a Windows 7 PC and discovered that you did not actually need a license to pool 2 drives. That PC was an experiment test bed and such and got used for a number of things over the years. I never did need to actually use the PoolHD license because I never expanded the pool to more than 2 drives.

Forward several years. I upgraded the PC to Windows 10 last year without the pool (bare metal install). Put it on the fast ring, fun fun fun, took it off the fast ring. The PC runs fine on Windows 10. Ok. So very recently I had a need to pool a 2TB and a 1.5TB drive. Alas, the version of PoolHD I had does not appear to work with Windows 10. I went looking for an update and discovered that PoolHD was bought by DriveBender and in one of the forum posts itsaid you could trade in your PoolHD license key for a DriveBender license key.

Okay, a DriveBender license is only $5 donation so perhaps the trade-in wasn't really necessary, but I thought I'd pass along the experience.

FWIW, I use Stablebit DrivePool on my WHS 2011 server and on a Windows 10 PC and it works flawlessly as far as I can tell.

PoolHD - Oh look. Another piece of software I purchased, never used and completely have forgotten about.

DrivePool only for me.

Yeah, PoolHD was bought out be Division M (Drive Bender).  However, I believe that ti should still work.

As for Windows 10 support, no idea. 

However, as for Drive Bender .... While $5 (or trade in) may seem like a reasonable price, you NEED to keep in mind that it may not come with support, nor does it come with a promise of continued updates or support.  Meaning that if something breaks, you may be SOL.   You may get support and Anthony may continue to release updates/fixes.  But that's a gamble. 

Pool hd was never certified for Windows 10. Drivebender works on Windows 10. Currently testing on server 2016 and there seem to be some issues with the dashboard plugin.

Pool hd was never certified for Windows 10. Drivebender works on Windows 10. Currently testing on server 2016 and there seem to be some issues with the dashboard plugin.

Depends on what you mean by "Certified".  

Most drivers do work on Windows 10 just fine. Especially user mode drives (like Drive Bender and PoolHD). 

Depends on what you mean by "Certified".  

Most drivers do work on Windows 10 just fine. Especially user mode drives (like Drive Bender and PoolHD). 

What I meant is that Anthony never claimed Pool HD would work on Windows 10. In fact, in the Drivebender forums, he has explicitly stated the Pool HD is NOT compatible with Windows 10. 

I actually never understood the Pool HD purchase by Division-M. The product has less functionality than Drivebender, there is just no benefit to using Pool HD over Drivebender.

Ah, okay.  

As for the purchase, I couldn't really say.  If I had to guess, it was probably to buy the code, to integrate sections into Drive Bender.