RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

drive balancing add-in

ikon

I listened to both the latest BYOB & HSS shows today so I can't remember which one mentioned that there is an real add-in for balancing the data load in the drive pool. Also, I don't think they mentioned the actual name of the add-in. Can anyone give me that info?

thx

hmmm, well, I ran Drive Balancer overnight and it seemed to get itself into a loop with drive 1 at 2% and drive 2 at 72%; just wouldn't go past that. So, I ctrl-C'd out of it, deleted the fake file directories and went back to the way it was. No harm done it seems, but no balancing either. C'est la vie.

If there is an add-in I am not aware of it and truthfully, I would not mess with it. There is a psychological thing that takes place when you see you drives are not balanced, but the time has hassle it take to resolve does not yield much benefit. I have 12 drives in my server and it would take forever to balance them and the only real benefit would be that I would have a better looking bar graph. MS should have built this in but since they did not, I just leave it alone.

If there is an add-in I am not aware of it and truthfully, I would not mess with it. There is a psychological thing that takes place when you see you drives are not balanced, but the time has hassle it take to resolve does not yield much benefit. I have 12 drives in my server and it would take forever to balance them and the only real benefit would be that I would have a better looking bar graph. MS should have built this in but since they did not, I just leave it alone.

When it didn't work for me, I pretty much came to the same conclusion.