RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TechNet Plus Subscription - Your thoughts?

jcollison

I have be toying with the idea of subscribing to TechNet for the last year. They have a deal (Code TMSAM07) that gets you almost $100 off the $350 annual fee. Pros and Cons? Is it really worth the $250 a year?

I consider it a good deal, even without the discount. It allows you access to virtually every piece of S/W that Microsoft has ever made (remember DOS 6.0?). Most programs allow you ten activation keys, and no time restrictions on the installs. I do side work for small biz and private users, it's been invaluable to be able to prove in programs in networked environments before presenting them to clients.

And having W7 and Office 2007 on all six of my systems at home more than covers the costs....

Mike

Its only 350 for the first year, and 100 less for the renewals.

And the codes work on renewals as well, so my renewal this year was something like 160.

It is absolutely worth it if you have multiple computers and want legit copies.

Guest no-control

I agree its probably the best purchase I've made in the last 2 years....and I've bought a lot of crap!

The number of licenses and freedom to access programs I normally wouldn't be exposed to is great. Its the number 1 reason I'm getting into Virtualization. So I run a bunch of test servers to see what all these different programs have to offer.

I have been toying with buying this too, really seems like a great deal. 1 more WHS, 10! win7, and MUCH more...think I'm going to have to pull the trigger as well. The product that I'm really excited about is the Windows Storage Server 2008 which is not available for normal purchase, unless you get it OEM with an appliance. This thing is awesome and is one of the best iscsi storage server options out there, and is one of the few iscsi platforms that supports scsi 3 persistent reservation. That gives you fail over for Hyper-V virtual platforms which is free in Hyper-V R2.

The nice thing about the TechNet is having the Win7 Ultimate ;-) A few copies of that alone "could" justify the purchase.

We used to get it every year, when we did system integration, and had to test and use their products every day. Now we are mostly concentrating on Web Services, and run OSX, so we have not purchased it for the last couple of years. With WHS, and Media Center, maybe we need to reconsider.

I have had a subscription for the last 4 years....been worth every penny and more. I was able to setup and learn the new features of the last 2 versions of Exchange prior doing the rollout.

For home use it just doesn't seem worth it. You can buy a 3-pack of Win7 for $130, and a 3-pack of Office 2007 for $108. Those will last you at least a few years. Even if you have to buy 2 sets for 6 computers, that is $476 for as long as the software is needed. Even if you have to buy licenses every 2 years, that's still cheaper then Technet.
Now if you want to run Server stuff, then yeah it might be worth it. Although, for testing, you can still use the 180-day demo's, I believe.

AJ I think at this point the family pack of Win 7 is done. Also I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on the similar deal MS has for those in their Partners program. It's pretty much the same (if not exactly the same) software collection and number of activations. Any reason to consider one over the other? I think I should add though that MS' terms state that you can't use these in a production environment. Just to test.