RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Booting a 2.5" OS Drive off the ODD port

grjbb

Hello,

Currently have my HP 1610T Gen8 for nearly a month and have been researching it and understanding what I need to do to get it setup accordingly. It's mostly going to be used for file sharing. But I want to experiment and learn so have went with Windows Server 2012 and want to know everything is setup correctly before I move my data across onto 4x4tb drives. One issue I am currently having is getting a 2.5" drive to boot up with first priority off the ODD port. I already have WS installed on the drive, but when I have drives in the controller it will not boot up. How has everyone else got this setup?

I have searched a came across a couple of ways, such as using a SD card with some trickery upon boot, or rerouting a sata cable from the controller to the drive then using the ODD port as a storage drive, a pci raid card etc.. I just want to know if their are any other solutions to the what I thought would be a simple procedure  :huh: .

Thanks for reading.

Edited by grjbb

If you use the B120i controller you can boot from the ODD port. You would set the SSD as a single drive RAID0. You could set the four 4TB drives as a RAID10 array, two RAID1 arrays or four single drive RAID0.

If you are planning on using DrivePool or StorageSpaces or you want to read your data drives in another computer, you may want to use AHCI and head down the micro SD bootloader route.

But in order to get the WS install on the drive (its mechanical if it makes any difference) I need to turn on AHCI to boot up via isb install then install onto the ODD drive, turn AHCI off, turn on the B120i, F5 upon start and set the drive to RAID0?

Many thanks for the reply.