RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win 10 Pro vs Enterprise - Bait and Switch

Drashna Jaelre

They've got you by the b***s as was basically said on What The Tech recently. Where else you going to go?

Skip the Win 10/Server 2016 cycle. 

Start looking into alternative solutions to Windows. 

And I suspect that a LOT of companies will do exactly that. 

Agreed ... always worth exposing NASDAQ:MSFT's creeping attempts to return us to the feudal computing era of NASDAQ:IBM and instituting countermeasures.

Thankfully Windows 8 METRO app tax and the combined OFFICE 365/ONEDRIVE subscription fell at the first fence in the consumer space (no apps or subscriptions here).

Another thing that's gone is NIC Teaming.  Was available in 8 and some builds of 10 but not in Anniversary and probably not even in Enterprise.

Do you mean SMB multichannel?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/josebda/2012/06/28/the-basics-of-smb-multichannel-a-feature-of-windows-server-2012-and-smb-3-0/

Another thing that's gone is NIC Teaming.  Was available in 8 and some builds of 10 but not in Anniversary and probably not even in Enterprise.

NIC Teaming is gone from any version of Windows 10.  This is something else though.  This feature must have had problems for them so they removed it all together. 

Skip the Win 10/Server 2016 cycle. 

Start looking into alternative solutions to Windows. 

And I suspect that a LOT of companies will do exactly that. 

I can see the skip the cycles, but it is only going to get worse.  

And what would alternatives be that companies would really be comfortable switching to? 

Neither am I, and that's part of the problem. 

And have you seen the new licensing scheme for Server 2016?  It's not longer Processor/socket based, but by the # of cores......

Server has always gotten more and more expensive.  SQL Server 2016 also changed to the same license model.  

If you have not read the Windows 10 license terms:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

The software is licensed, not sold. 

Yes, I know.  In fact, it's something I generally like to point out as well. 

However, there are still reasonable expectations to receive certain features in a specific version. Especially when that version is still available under volume licensing.

The question really is, how long until the Pro SKU is nothing more than a Home SKU?

Please expand ...

... the need for teaming was covered via SMB multichannel which automatically distributes network compute load across cores and network transfers across available ports/paths.

Are you saying SMB Multichannel has been removed from client versions?

Edited by JackoUK

Yes, I know. In fact, it's something I generally like to point out as well.

However, there are still reasonable expectations to receive certain features in a specific version. Especially when that version is still available under volume licensing.

The question really is, how long until the Pro SKU is nothing more than a Home SKU?

They don't want you to use it on/as a server either. Under restrictions, You may not:

use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users.

Please expand ...

... the need for teaming was covered via SMB multichannel which automatically distributes network compute load across cores and network transfers across available ports/paths.

Are you saying SMB Multichannel has been removed from client versions?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/66166918-5b67-4754-89e5-a2572b1888a2/nic-teaming-failed-build-10568-windows-10

Show of hands.  How many people actually purchased a full retail version of Windows 10 Enterprise?  Let me rephrase that, a license to use the software?

Show of hands.  How many people actually purchased a full retail version of Windows 10 Enterprise?  Let me rephrase that, a license to use the software?

AFAIK you can not purchase Windows 10 Enterprise through retail, corporate license only. I have not needed to purchase any Windows 10 license yet. I had plenty of Windows 8 Pro keys to upgrade.