RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Deepthought

Windows 10 anniversary update and the connector

zeus163

This is interesting. I just figured after the "upgrade" that the service would be borked again and sure enough it was. I re-applied the reg-setting so that I wouldn't join a domain, re-installed Windows10.0-KB2790621-x64, then went to Windows Server Essentials under "app programs". The connector software re-ran and found my server. Of course, it already recognized I had a device with that name, but I didn't mind. My two systems that I upgraded have all backed up successfully since the upgrade. Plus, I have the tray icon. Sometimes it is so interesting on how it works for one, but not another...Maybe re-installing the Windows10.0-KB2790621-x64 solved my problems?

Robert Pearman

So this is how it is supposed to go..

Install July Update Rollup, KB3172614

Uninstall and Reinstall the connector.

Then the connector will survive a windows 10 upgrade.

In addition there is a known issue where the Essentials Trap app will disappear, if your upgrade followed this path:

Install July Update Rollup

Do not Reinstall Connector on Client

Update Windows 10 (1607 build)

Connector is missing, reinstall from Server

The TrayApp actually still works perfectly on a new User Profile, but something is mangled in the migration for existing profiles. I haven't yet found what it is.

Edited by Robert Pearman

TheOfficeMaven
Hi All,

Apparently the "Notification Area Icons" cache becomes (somewhat???) corrupted when installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607), and this in turn is causing EssentialsTrayApp.exe to error out when it attempts to reset the Essentials notification area icon (as is indicated by the errors that are shown in the EssentialsTrayApp.<SID>.log file).

In order to correct the issue, you simply need to reset the Notification Area Icons cache for each user who is missing the Essentials notification area icon on their Windows 10 client computer. I have tested this on three separate Windows 10 client computers (Pro and Home), and it has corrected the problem on all of them.

To reset the Notification Area Icon cache, simply download the "Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache.bat" file from the following web page (props go out to Shawn Brink and the Windows Ten Fourms for their excellent tutorial!):

After the client computer has restarted, you will find the Essentials notification area icon has returned to the notification area of your Windows 10 client computer.

I hope this helps everyone out that is currently experiencing the problem on their Windows 10 client computers.

-- MIKE (The Office Maven)
  • Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Hi All,

Apparently the "Notification Area Icons" cache becomes (somewhat???) corrupted when installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607), and this in turn is causing EssentialsTrayApp.exe to error out when it attempts to reset the Essentials notification area icon (as is indicated by the errors that are shown in the EssentialsTrayApp.<SID>.log file).

In order to correct the issue, you simply need to reset the Notification Area Icons cache for each user who is missing the Essentials notification area icon on their Windows 10 client computer. I have tested this on three separate Windows 10 client computers (Pro and Home), and it has corrected the problem on all of them.

To reset the Notification Area Icon cache, simply download the "Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache.bat" file from the following web page (props go out to Shawn Brink and the Windows Ten Fourms for their excellent tutorial!):

After the client computer has restarted, you will find the Essentials notification area icon has returned to the notification area of your Windows 10 client computer.
I hope this helps everyone out that is currently experiencing the problem on their Windows 10 client computers.

Very nice! 

Can confirm that this works.  The Essentials tray icon is working properly now. 

Though, I did it manually. (killed explorer, removed the entries, rebooted).

TheOfficeMaven

Thanks for the conformation Drashna. I'm very glad to hear that it worked for you as well.

Yes indeed, you can do the steps manually (for piece of mind, etc.), but I figurred that allowing the batch file to do all of the heavy lifting would be much easier for most "novice" users, and so that's why I simply pointed eveyone over to it instead of giving instructions on how to do it all manually. Also, just like any developer, I'm a bit lazy and so I didn't see the point in having to reinvent the wheel so to speak. It's bad enough that I had to spend my free time cleaning up after Microsoft's messes.  :D

Take care.

Deepthought

I can confirm that the batch file worked for my  two clients.

Thanks for this.

Matt

TheOfficeMaven

Hi All,

While you're at it you might want to fix the "Alert Evaluations" task in the Task Scheduler as it is also messed up by the new client connector that gets installed by KB3172614.

To do so, open the Task Scheduler, and go to:

Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Server Essentials

Double-click on the "Alert Evaluations" task and click on the "Actions" tab in the Properties window that appears.

Double-click on the "Start a program" action and change the "Program/script" value to:

C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\RunTask.exe

And change the "Add arguments (optional)" value to:

/asm:"C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\AlertFramework.dll" /class:Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.NetworkHealth.AlertFramework.HealthScheduledTask /method:EvaluateAlertsByTriggerTaskAction /task:"Alert Evaluations"

NOTE: Adjujst the location of your client computer's "C:\Program Files" folder as required (for locals other than English, etc.).

Click OK, answer Yes to the confirmation message that appears, and then click OK again to close the Properties window.

After that, you can manually run the task to make sure that it now works properly (note that you may need to hit Refresh in order to see the updated run result).

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Ah... yeah, the fix is changing the code from a windows feature to normal software...

Meaning it's moved out of the C:\Windows directory, and into "C:\Program Files" 

Messy.... and I don't understand why they didn't do that in the first place....  "Lack of prior, proper planning" I suppose. 

But thanks for the info, again!

Deepthought

Well I got two of my clients up and connected on the anniversary update, thanks to the info above. The third did not go well, it is a fully patched Windows 10 without the anniversary update, but connected to the server. Unlike the others, where I just ran the anniversary update and fixed it later, I followed Susan's instructions, from the link above, and removed the old connector from the windows updates, and rebooted the machine. I then attempted to connect back to the server, and the connector wizard hangs just beyond the user name and password prompt " Windows server essentials connector configuration wizard has stopped working"

Any suggestions on how to clean this up and this this computer connected back to the server?

Matt