RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Deepthought

Windows 10 anniversary update and the connector

Deepthought

Folks,

Thought I would stick my toe in the deep end and update one of my machines to the win10 anniversary update. The machine was successfully connected to the server, running the "classic" windows 10 before the update. After the update the connector was no longer present in the system tray. No big deal, I figured, I would hit the server connect page and rerun the connector software. The connector launches ssucessfully, but when doing the server discovery, it finds the server by its MAC address (which was unusual, my experience is that the server connects by name), then asks for the log in credentials. It appears to authenticate, but after five minutes of spinning wheel, I get an error saying that the connector "stopped responding". The server is current with updates. I have rebooted both the client and the server, with the same net result.

Ideas? Work arounds?

Thanks

Matt

oj88

Happened to me at least a couple of times before and now after running the Win10 anniversary update on my work laptop.

All I had to do was go to Services and start/restart services that begins with "Windows Server..."

Everything BUT "Windows Server Initialization Service" should show a status of Running.

KcokQ0n.png

RobWu

You're not the only one having issues with this one see some previous posts.

I experienced the same thing after upgrading to Win10, and am afraid that with all the reinstalling a upgrade of Win10 does, this is more or less the future of the connector client.
Upgrade Win10, reinstall and reset the connector :-\

For me I got back to Win7, too many issues after the upgrade. But ymmv... ;-)

rob

Poppapete

Same here.  Had to reconnect client by running the connector.  Only checked after reading this thread to find no backup last night due to disconnect after anniversary update.

Deepthought

On the system that the connect wizard failed, the services were present, but disabled, enabled them and set them to automatic.  

Reran the connector wizard, and it competed successfully....  and the server shows it connected, but there is no tray icon showing the connection state in the system tray.

Matt 

Drashna Jaelre

Tray Icon is broken, ATM. 

If you check your log, you'll probably see a bunch of these:

[08/05/2016 09:35:39  b08] Failed to create tray icon. Error Code: -2147467259
[08/05/2016 09:35:39  b08] TrayManager::Initialize ResetTrayIcon failed.
[08/05/2016 09:35:39  b08] Failed to initialize tray icon.

this is in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs", under the "EssentialsTrayApp". 

Meaning that Microsoft needs to fix this. 

Deepthought

Drashna,

Thanks, yes, my log show the same events. I guess we will have to wait for Microsoft on that.

KB3172614, however was installed on the server. I had to enable the server services after the connector reinstall to get the computer to connect.

Matt

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, I've experienced the failed update, as well. Rather the connector software was NOT retained properly.