RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sharing photos with family.

ziplock9000

I am looking for a solution that will allow various members of my family to upload family photo's via the web interface. Each family member's folder will have write access only to the owner, with other family members with read access.

So far this is achieveable with WHS1 and WHS2 (vail).

On top of this I want a website hosted on the home server that will be a viewable gallery of ALL of my family members.

I've tried wiist's gallery creation, but you have to copy all pictures into the web folder.

Is there any solutions that will allow the website to directly get the images from the shares instead?

Thanks in advance.

As indicated here, I am currently deploying Gallery Server Pro onto my WHS.

I have installed the system, brought it up and populated some test galleries.

Am completely happy with the offering and current cleaning up photo library metadata in preparation for seeding.

It does what it says simply and elegantly - sharing of photos from your own site on your own host :)

Kevin C.

As indicated here, I am currently deploying Gallery Server Pro onto my WHS.

I have installed the system, brought it up and populated some test galleries.

Am completely happy with the offering and current cleaning up photo library metadata in preparation for seeding.

It does what it says simply and elegantly - sharing of photos from your own site on your own host :)

Kevin C.

But does this work (sourced) from multiple shares or does everything have to be in a database?

I don't want to move or copy photo's into another folder when they are managed perfecly through WHS shares.

Thanks.

Edited by ziplock9000

The photos are not in the database whatsoever - they exist only within the filesystem as standard folders/files.

This was a prerequisite for me since:

1. My photos exist this way naturally (I use WLPG for editing)
  2. I do not want my photos or their metadata "entangled" in a DB
  3. I also run SageTV on my WHS which can also browse the photo library "on the big screen"

So, my photos are my masters and all the metadata is maintained within the photo - never separated from them.

When you synchronize the filesystem (i.e., the photos) some metadata is extracted/stored into the DB (SQL or SQLite) for later searching.

Additional stuff such as users, roles and permissions are also in the DB.

There is no need for multiple shares - user administration and photo album management is done within the application all through a single, unified WWW site. Users can register, create and populate photo albums - the visibility of these albums are all configurable.

There is a limitation right now that all site content is within a single master directory structure so multiple shares cannot enter the equation. A new version is being prepared for release that eliminates this restriction so perhaps this can make use of multiple shares.

Read the manual (quite extensive) and/or give it a try and see what's going on...

The photos are not in the database whatsoever - they exist only within the filesystem as standard folders/files.

This was a prerequisite for me since:

1. My photos exist this way naturally (I use WLPG for editing)
  2. I do not want my photos or their metadata "entangled" in a DB
  3. I also run SageTV on my WHS which can also browse the photo library "on the big screen"

So, my photos are my masters and all the metadata is maintained within the photo - never separated from them.

When you synchronize the filesystem (i.e., the photos) some metadata is extracted/stored into the DB (SQL or SQLite) for later searching.

Additional stuff such as users, roles and permissions are also in the DB.

There is no need for multiple shares - user administration and photo album management is done within the application all through a single, unified WWW site. Users can register, create and populate photo albums - the visibility of these albums are all configurable.

There is a limitation right now that all site content is within a single master directory structure so multiple shares cannot enter the equation. A new version is being prepared for release that eliminates this restriction so perhaps this can make use of multiple shares.

Read the manual (quite extensive) and/or give it a try and see what's going on...

Reading the manual, I'm not seeing the way to hook into an existing file structure without duplicating the pictures. Is that possible?

If you already have your photo library in a given place then you can either (1) make it the GSP root or (2) yes, duplicate the content.

I personally want the content duplicated since I maintain my photo masters in one location (with duplication for protection) where I edit/cleanup (via WLPG) and where I tweak metadata using the great tool here (e.g., mass rename from EXIF timestamp) and moving WLPG caption metadata field to one required by GSP.

Once albums are ready for publishing, I copy to GSP infrastructure (on a separate non-duplicated share) and synchronize to populate.

GSP's only job is to publish and by tweaking the meatdata photos are displayed in chronological order and automatic caption.

I then use GSP to add a bit of info like album storyline but, for the most part, that's all GSP does - publish.

If and when something better comes along, I can rework my masters as need be.

As indicated before, the upcoming release shows some indication that arbitrary content in diverse locations can now form the content of the gallery - see notes here.

Disk space is cheap and the masters / GSP-ready versions serve different purposes - to each their own.

Oops - I believe I misspoke about having to duplicate.

After installing GSP, you can go into the administration (page 149) and reconfigure the media objects directory (supports UNC).

So if all of you photos are already in one spot (i.e., all contained within a single directory and/or subdirectories) you can hook this way.

The next version seems to indicate the ability to point to multiple media object directories.

Oops - I believe I misspoke about having to duplicate.

After installing GSP, you can go into the administration (page 149) and reconfigure the media objects directory (supports UNC).

So if all of you photos are already in one spot (i.e., all contained within a single directory and/or subdirectories) you can hook this way.

The next version seems to indicate the ability to point to multiple media object directories.

Thank you for the great updates. I've got my family trying out this solution today!