RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server install questions regarding RAID and partitions

Jadonr

I have some questions about installing Windows Server on my Gen8 MicroServer. Bear with me as this has been quite a learning experience.

I have an 128GB SSD drive that I connected to the SATA port. I also have 4 x 2TB drives connected to the b120i SAS that have not yet been configured as an array since it was recommended that I first install the OS before I do that. When I booted from the USB drive to install Windows Server 2012 R2, it didn't show any drives. So I went into the HP RAID config utility and created a RAID 0 from the single SSD drive (hopefully this is correct?).

I tried again and after loading the RAID driver, it displayed 5 partitions. Each of them showed the message "Windows can't be installed on drive 1 partition X". I removed one that was labeled MSR to see if it would allocate the additional space to the partition I intended for the OS. While it did, even after formatting/deleting, it still wouldn't allow me to continue.

I'm also curious why it created all these partitions and what they are for. Do I really need the WINRETOOLS and Image partitions?

WP_20160802_21_10_58_Rich_zpsl02uny7m.jp

Also, if I use Intelligent Provisioning to install the OS, will it do the same and setup these 5 partitions? Seems like it could be a waste of space.

The HP SSA does not create partition structure. Was the SSD new or was it used in a system prior to being installed in the server?

I would delete all of the partitions from the SSD and let Windows server start fresh.

That was also my first impression.  Those look like OEM restore partitions.  Delete all those and start over.

It was a previously used drive, so that makes sense. I installed from SSA and it does not have all the additional partitions. Thanks guys!