RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ariedl

Home Network Advice

ariedl

Hi all--

Let me start by saying I am an extreme novice when it comes to networking. Most of this stuff makes my brain hurt. I've been lurking on the site for a month or so, though, reading many threads, looking for an answer to some issues I've been dealing with this summer. As I don't think I'm going to be able to figure it out on my own, I finally decided to create an account and ask for everyone else's expertise...

Here's my situation: My wife and I moved into our home several years ago and used Uverse for internet until a month ago. We were paying for one of their "extreme" speeds, which still only had us in the 15 Mbps range. Our network initially had to serve about 2000 SF, and with the router placed in the living room at one end of the house, there were connection issues in the bedrooms on the other end. We've been working to finish the basement, and in the last 6 months we were finally able to start using it as living space. This more than doubled the SF of the house, and amplified the connection issues on the network.

To be honest, the speed we were getting from Uverse was acceptable (to us), as it's what we were used to. The connection issues in certain rooms and some other issues with devices dropping off the network were starting to drive me crazy, and then my wife decided we needed TV again (we cut the cord 3 years ago). So... we switched to Comcast a little over a month ago. I believe we signed up for 75 Mbps, and the tech stated we were actually getting 80+ at installation. Which we were, if you were within 5 feet of the router. I just checked Speedtest and got 10.43/4.25 on my phone, and 19.85/10.27 on the desktop in my office, which is about as far away from the router as you can get (in the basement, opposite end of the house). While these speeds would be fine, sometimes phones in the office or the bedroom next to it can't see the network, and even the desktop will occasionally lose it's connection.

Here are the devices we (4 of us) typically have connected:

- 2 desktop computers

- 2 laptop computers

- 2 tablets

- 4 phones

- 2 Xboxes

- Apple TV

- home thermostat

I may be forgetting some, but you get the idea. 

In the past I have tried a network extender, but wasn't happy with how it worked. While I had read reviews and comparisons, I somehow missed that it created a new SSID, so if you were in an area where the main home SSID would not reach, you could switch to the new network. This was definitely NOT what I wanted. My wife found it confusing, my kids didn't understand the difference, and their devices tended to hang on to networks in ways that just drove us all crazy. So when I started hearing about eero, Luma, and other mesh solutions, I was very excited. While I am leaning towards eero at this point, I honestly don't know enough to decide which might be best for my specific home/network needs. I really just want to have a single SSID that we can automagically connect to throughout the house, without ever having to think about it. I am not looking for filtering or extra security, just a stronger, more consistent signal.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, and if there are any important facts that I left out, please let me know, and I will try to provide them.

Thanks!

Alec

awraynor

I'm in the same situation as you. Health Care pays the bills, but technology is my hobby. My networking expertise stops at spelling networking. 

My AC router is in the playroom on the top floor at one end of the house, our TV that is cable free is on the bottom floor at the other end of the house.

I ordered Luma and you've probably read the threads on that. AV, filtering, etc. would be nice, but like you I mostly want a solid wi-fi signal. My Eero

3-pack should be here tomorrow. Thanks to qtopplings for providing me a discount code. Dave has already discussed Circle by Disney for further 

management. I would be fine if these companies would provide a solid wi-fi signal and then charge "in-app purchases" for additional features. I'm

sure it's hard to stay afloat with one time equipment purchases while still providing lifetime support.

I've seen some killer deals on Luma on E-Bay, but I will personally not purchase from them. Eero had some of the same growing pains, but they're

more solid nowadays. AmpliFi HD is very interesting to me, from a known networking company and is cheaper than the rest, but still evolving.

Keep up with the posts and remember, these companies have return policies if their products don't work for you.

BTW welcome to the forums. Maybe you can come to the meetup? My goodness, hard to believe it's just 6 weeks away.

itGeeks

Hi all--

Let me start by saying I am an extreme novice when it comes to networking. Most of this stuff makes my brain hurt. I've been lurking on the site for a month or so, though, reading many threads, looking for an answer to some issues I've been dealing with this summer. As I don't think I'm going to be able to figure it out on my own, I finally decided to create an account and ask for everyone else's expertise...

Here's my situation: My wife and I moved into our home several years ago and used Uverse for internet until a month ago. We were paying for one of their "extreme" speeds, which still only had us in the 15 Mbps range. Our network initially had to serve about 2000 SF, and with the router placed in the living room at one end of the house, there were connection issues in the bedrooms on the other end. We've been working to finish the basement, and in the last 6 months we were finally able to start using it as living space. This more than doubled the SF of the house, and amplified the connection issues on the network.

To be honest, the speed we were getting from Uverse was acceptable (to us), as it's what we were used to. The connection issues in certain rooms and some other issues with devices dropping off the network were starting to drive me crazy, and then my wife decided we needed TV again (we cut the cord 3 years ago). So... we switched to Comcast a little over a month ago. I believe we signed up for 75 Mbps, and the tech stated we were actually getting 80+ at installation. Which we were, if you were within 5 feet of the router. I just checked Speedtest and got 10.43/4.25 on my phone, and 19.85/10.27 on the desktop in my office, which is about as far away from the router as you can get (in the basement, opposite end of the house). While these speeds would be fine, sometimes phones in the office or the bedroom next to it can't see the network, and even the desktop will occasionally lose it's connection.

Here are the devices we (4 of us) typically have connected:

- 2 desktop computers

- 2 laptop computers

- 2 tablets

- 4 phones

- 2 Xboxes

- Apple TV

- home thermostat

I may be forgetting some, but you get the idea. 

In the past I have tried a network extender, but wasn't happy with how it worked. While I had read reviews and comparisons, I somehow missed that it created a new SSID, so if you were in an area where the main home SSID would not reach, you could switch to the new network. This was definitely NOT what I wanted. My wife found it confusing, my kids didn't understand the difference, and their devices tended to hang on to networks in ways that just drove us all crazy. So when I started hearing about eero, Luma, and other mesh solutions, I was very excited. While I am leaning towards eero at this point, I honestly don't know enough to decide which might be best for my specific home/network needs. I really just want to have a single SSID that we can automagically connect to throughout the house, without ever having to think about it. I am not looking for filtering or extra security, just a stronger, more consistent signal.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, and if there are any important facts that I left out, please let me know, and I will try to provide them.

Thanks!

Alec

Welcome to the forums!

As an early supporter of Luma and now testing it for the last several weeks I would tell you to hold off on Luma to see what happens. It still has some bugs and lacks many of the features that we all thought we where getting. Eerro is out in the whiled and though reviews seem to say Luma is a better performing product Eero is well on there way to success and the consensuses are that people are very happy with the product. I would say keep a close eye on AMPLIFI, According to reviews this is the top performer and unlike Eero and Luma it does not come from a startup company, Ubiquity has strong roots in the enterprise and they have ported over some of there best technology into this product. They offer 3 diffrent SKU's and I would say if your not looking to extend wireless AC to every room in the house the 199.00 package should serve you well. If your looking to get wireless AC to every corner of the house then you need to purchase the most expensive HD product 349.00 they say the units will start shipping in 2-3 weeks. I am also going to order the 199.00 product for testing.

Edited by itGeeks

ariedl

Thanks for the response! I had seen the Amplify name in some threads but did not read up much on it. I'm going to do that now, and I may be back with questions.

Thanks again!

ariedl

I ordered Luma and you've probably read the threads on that. AV, filtering, etc. would be nice, but like you I mostly want a solid wi-fi signal. My Eero

3-pack should be here tomorrow. Thanks to qtopplings for providing me a discount code. Dave has already discussed Circle by Disney for further 

management. I would be fine if these companies would provide a solid wi-fi signal and then charge "in-app purchases" for additional features. I'm

sure it's hard to stay afloat with one time equipment purchases while still providing lifetime support.

Sorry I missed your response when I checked in earlier. I hope you post the results once you get it set up, as it sounds like we might be on a similar technical level (we're in the kiddie pool while the rest of the members are swimming in the deep end!). I just looked through the documentation on Amplifi, and while it's nice to have choices, I really wish all of these products were already available and a bit more mature. Oh, and cheaper would be nice, too!

Thanks and good luck setting up your Eero system tomorrow!

awraynor

The first device hit a bit of a speed bump on set up. 

It came nicely packaged. A sticker saying start here with the 1st device. The ethernet cable and charging cable below that device. Charging cable below 2 and 3. 

I ran the setup and even though it said the 1st device was successfully setup it then showed no network connection.  I rebooted and then only 2 of my multiple devices showed up.

I then disconnected everything. At my modem I have a Win10, WHS2011 and Mac desktop, QNAP NAS, Synology NAS and OOMA. Guess it choked on all of that.

I then rebooted and connected just one device at a time. Things went better that time. Was showing a Dell device even though I have no devices on my network. I do need to go into the

individual devices and rename them to help within the Eero app for I.D.

My office is on the top floor at one end of the house, the living room on the bottom floor at the other end. Browsing (page loads) seem better there now. My FireTV does well, still waiting for the

wife to comment on it.

The app is quite easy to use, albeit quite light on extra features. It tells me I will receive an update tonight so I will look again tomorrow.

The devices are fairly small, fit into decor nicely, but agree expensive. I had a discount code so $300 was more palatable. Before paying $500 full-price for Eero I would look at Amplifi a little harder. 

I've also seen somewhat discounted prices on E-Bay for Luma. If you're not in a hurry give it a few weeks for more input from the forums on Amplifi and Luma.

Don't forget about Circle by Disney for network filtering. I"m looking at reviews on it right now. 

ariedl

The first device hit a bit of a speed bump on set up. 

Just wanted to check how things have been going in the 2 weeks since initial setup? Thanks!

awraynor

Eero itself has been fine. Trying to troubleshoot some latency problems now supposedly due to my ISP.

rgreenpc

Other than a single issue with a bad firmware push I am all good now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ariedl

For anyone who looked at this thread when I first started it, I eventually bought the 2nd generation eero and 2 beacons to add to my home network. The installation process was fairly painless, except for one step. Eero's instructions suggested putting the Comcast router in bridge mode, but for some reason I was unable to login to my router. After an hour or so trying to figure out what was going on, I gave up and just went ahead with the eero installation. The new network showed up alongside my existing 2.4 and 5 ghz networks, and the network strength was much higher in most of the areas where I had been having issues (according to a mobile app called "Network Multimeter"). Actual performance, however, was spotty. Sometimes the new network was blazingly fast in those problem areas, other times it was worse than before. Our home is a little more than 4000sf, so I may simply need to add some more beacons into the mix, but I'm not sure how to tell if that's the problem.

The installation was about 2 months ago, and we've just put up with our devices randomly connecting to one of the 3 networks, with performance generally being OK, but at times frustratingly inconsistent. Yesterday morning, however, there was an issue where none of the networks could connect to the internet. They all showed as being "up," but were timing out or giving error messages when I attempted to load sites. As I said in the original post, I know VERY little about networking, but something clicked and I checked the DNS settings on the networks. Rather than pointing to Comcast's servers, or OpenDNS, which I have used at times over the years, they were pointing to something called "utopia.net." After some research, I can't tell if my router has been hijacked, or if Comcast is making some money by pointing some traffic to other DNS servers (that was one person's hypothesis). I also don't know if this has anything to do with my inability to login to my router.

So now I'm not sure how I should proceed: are my issues related at all to eero, or more likely to my router and my original network settings? If it's the latter, do I just do a factory reset on my router and put it in bridge mode? The existing networks are more consistent than the eero, but the signal strength is bad in certain areas where the eero is better.

If anybody has advice, please let me know!

Thanks--

Alec