RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Faking fan signals for Proliant ML350 G6 and ML330 G6

Lazercut

Hi guys, I just joined this forum in hope that I can get som assistance with this, if this isn't the right subforum I'm apologizing in advance. I have two servers, a HP Proliant ML350 G6 and a ML330 G6. I want to setup one of them as a NAS(preferably the smaller ML330). The problem is that I'll be living in the same room as it, so I have to make it so silent that I can sleep with it in the same room. This might be a futile effort, but I want to try. Corsair and Noctua have those near silent fans you know.

Issue is that, as most of you probably know, HP servers have a failsafe that won't allow them to boot without the correct amount of the original fans plugged in. So I need to find out how to bypass this somehow. Also if someone knows how to shut up the PSU fans I'll be most grateful. I think the ML330 uses a standard issue PSU, but the ML350 has proprietary redundant PSU. 

My plugs look like this

ML330

ML350

So anyone know what I'll have to do to fake the signal so they'll run normal 4-pin fans? 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I'm also new at this forum, and also interested in the answere. I have an ML350 G6 server. (The connection of the new fans is no problam, but I should fake the original ones.)

Thanks!

Edited by iqkacsa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I found a solution!

I did not find a possibility to just fake the mainboard that a fan is installed but I found a solution to use a silent 3 pin fan I bought for 10€

The HP plug has 5 pins/wires: (black, black, red, yellow, green)

Use a 3 pin fan and attach it like this:

black, black (wired together), red, white, 5 pins stays empty

Hope this is helpful for someone