RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RipNet

usacomp2k3

This is really interesting and beckons the question on how they can sell this. Sounds like MyMovies on steroids. Would be very interested in how this works.

Interesting to read about their similar product, RipNet Plus:

All the benefits of RipNet along with the renowned Home Server Add In – AVA Media. This version provides automated ripping of Audio CDs, DVD*s and Blu-Ray* discs. You also receive movie monitor, which gets cover art etc for your existing movie files.

The Music Disc Copier is a fully automated CD ripper, that allows you to automatically copy your music cd's directly to the Home Servers storage making it available to Media Centres, such as Microsoft Media Centre, Media Portal, Beyond TV, and many others, gaming devices such as Playstation 3 or Xbox 360, and music playback devices such as Logitech Squeezebox, Sonos Digital Music Systems and many others.

Your music can be copied either to lossless music formats such as Windows Media Audio Lossless or FLAC, and/or to highly compressed Windows Media Audio or MP3 files, or a combination, allowing you to store a primary format for in-house playback, and a secondary format for mobile devices.

Your Video disks can be copied to either VIDEO_TS formats for DVD's, ISO format for DVD or Blu-ray, or a Media Centre Extender compatible MPEG-2 format for DVD's, or you can copy both to a VIDEO_TS format as well as an MPEG-2 format for DVD's, allowing the full VIDEO_TS structure to be played on the main Media Centre, and the MPEG-2 file on your Media Centre Extender

The Movie Monitor will automatically identify movie folders in your Windows Home Server's video libraries, and add high quality meta-data to the titles, making the meta-data available to several numerous Media Centre software products, as well as storing a folder image for the movie folders when browsing the folders with Windows Explorer.

The data is be stored directly in the movie folder as an XML file, front and back cover image files, as well as a folder.jpg file, making the data openly available to any program that supports them, including My Movies, Media Centres DVD library, using the "DVD library Connector etc.

See what AVA Media can do in this short movie

There are three parts to the system, the AVA Media Home Server Add In, the RipNet Home Server Add In, and a Media Centre (Win7 Home Premium) Add In.

Order now £89.00 Shipping from 21st September

(Download and licence will be provided by email)

* Due to legality in several countries, AVA Media does not backup copy protected DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray titles. Users in countries that allow circumventing CSS and AACS copy protections when backing up their movies can install SlySoft AnyDVD or AnyDVD HD to remove these copy protections. An option is available for the installation of AnyDVD, should you, the user, choose to use it.

It sounds like the RipNet just adds in network ripping, and doesn't include the management system included here.

Edited by usacomp2k3

This is a repackaged version of My Movies 3 sold by Tranquil. It's a crippled version of the full package. You can pay the full price and get it all. My Movies 3 tries to get you with the points systems that can be earned or boughts. I think the only difference is that the Tranquil version does NOT need a login account like My Movies 3.

You can get the same but more basic funtion from Brent Freidman's DVD Manager WHS addin and DVD 43, both free.

And the saga continues:

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/09/24/ripnet-windows-home-server-add-in-now-free-of-charge/

This week we had the first review of the RipNet add-in for Windows Home Server and Media Center from Tranquil, and late last night Tranquil announced that they were giving away the WHS add-in free of charge.

I sent an email to Tranquil. I have to see how it compares to MyMovies3. Looks like I stirred up some policy change over at Tranquil :P

The MyMovies add required that you have an account and login, from an ealier virsion of the AVA Media addin, you did not need an account. Also to get HD backdrops on MyMovies, you needed points or money. AVA media also had better audio codecs.

I'll comment later after I test a bit more.

I dont get this add-in at all.

I rip cds from any of my media centres (W7) and they are all ripped to the music share on my WHS.

If I want to rip a DVD I just do it through my movies on the WHS.......so what is the point?

I am assuming it is just a customized version that they offer. If you already own MyMovies, I am sure you do not want this.