RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma cancellation-return-refund stories

cskenney

I'm done with them. I cancelled my order. I would be a fool to believe anything they promised at this point.

I'm done with them. I cancelled my order. I would be a fool to believe anything they promised at this point.

I here you. I already have mine and its well past the 14 day return policy so I figure what the heck is another month to see what happens. Though I tell you this if after the next 30 days there is no night and day difference 14 days or not I am returning them and with all the documentation I have they would be a fool to fight it because I am ready.

I cancelled both of my orders yesterday.

They asked for my feedback as to why I am cancelling working on that email now.

O boy, Thunder is in the air. It sure is going to be lonely here soon :( That's an email I would like to see posted here, Maybe others could use it as a template including me after I get feed up and had enough. Good luck, Please let us know if they reply. O and be on the lookout for the wonderful email "your Luma has shipped" it would not be the first time.

I cancelled both of my orders yesterday.

They asked for my feedback as to why I am cancelling working on that email now.

Oh please, please, please make it a good one. I've already canceled one 3-pack and it wouldn't take much to cancel the last one.

I think you all will be underwhelmed, I am not a screaming and hollering kind of guy. Here is what I sent:

My initial interest in Luma was to simplify my home network. I work in the IT industry and I do not want to be a network admin at home. Plus with the 10-year-old daughter I wanted more parental controls. My Wi-Fi coverage was good, but I wanted to make it better. My goal was to use Luma for my home network and have a separate network for my lab. This would’ve cost me a bit extra to get two IP addresses from my ISP, but then I could have the two networks be totally separate with separate firewalls. While waiting for Luma I had the opportunity to add an extra access point clearing up my coverage issue while still having seamless roaming. I also had time to experiment with Circle from Disney, which seem to do well at parental controls. Additionally, I have had time to experiment with Untangle as a firewall. Its latest version is quite user-friendly and was easy for me to set up two totally separate networks from one IP address from my ISP.

On a different note, I am a tech enthusiast and experiment with products often. I have been very disappointed in the way Luma has failed to fulfill on presales orders. In watching the issues others are having with Luma products today, I can’t help but wonder if better beta testing would have resolved more of your issues. Current issues with unique devices like TiVo, Ethernet backhaul and other DHCP issues I think could’ve been resolved had you tested with more technical users with diverse environments, like myself. There has been a great deal of discussion on Luma and those doing current testing on a forum that I am quite active in: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/107-luma/

I may consider Luma in the future, but currently my Wi-Fi coverage and parental monitoring issues are squared away. 

• Like 2

Here is my correspondence with Luma for cancelling my order.  I tend to be a little more direct.

Me:

Who do I need to contact to cancel my pre-order?  The delays and lack of features that were promised are too much and I have chose to use another product.

Please let me me know this correspondence has been received and that you are processing my refund for my pre-order.

Luma Support:
I do apologize for the delays and lack of features that has caused you to want to cancel your order. Rest assured we are working hard to add features as we continue to send out our remaining pre-orders. If I could guarantee your ordering arriving between 08/05 - 08/11. would you keep your order with us? What features were you looking for? perhaps I can give you some dates as to when they'll be available for you.

Me:
I'm sorry but Luma has eroded my trust to the point I don't believe any of your promises.  A guarantee that my product will arrive between 8/5 and 8/11? You already committed to that earlier this month. Was that not a guarantee at that point?  Your Twitter account is saying preorders are shipping 1 week ahead of their original ship date (so why would you guarantee dates I was already given?). 

You (Luma) have done serious damage to your credibility. You first started shipping based on some unknown priority and ignored the early adopter orders. The Internet is full of examples of people who ordered late that miraculously received their orders when orders placed in Nov/Dec had not. Then you send out an explanation that you are shipping as fast as you can and anyone with an urgent need can request their shipment via an email. What? You mean I was again pushed back because of some arbitrary priority system? I shouldn't need to beg to get something I already paid for with the expectation that the company would exercise reasonable judgement and ship first come first served.

Then I start hearing from people who received their Luma order. The system does not have port forwarding or visibility to the filtering that you claim is utilized. Others are reporting issues with Tivo's getting DHCP addresses and Luma calls the TiVo a unique device. The list is long in features promised and not delivered at this time.

I hear there are updates coming. Again, people in my online community are talking about the promises made by Luma customer service. It seems like a lot of empty promises right now. Dates don't seem to mean anything.

I realize you are a startup company. I realize this is your first product and you wanted to get it into the market ASAP because your competitor was already selling. You may have been ok with shipping the product to early adopters in the order that you received orders but when you screwed that up you pissed off your most loyal backers. It all escalated from there as promises were made that you didn't deliver on AND you didn't communicate that some features were pending. Does the average consumer know you don't have advertised features included yet? Probably not but I suppose I am not average either.

I have already purchased your competitors product when you pushed out my shipping date to August. I still gave you an opportunity but the more I hear (update dates seem arbitrary and creeping out) I just feel I don't need to spend my money on what is essentially a beta tested product. You still need to make good on the promises for the basic features you advertised. They probably will eventually happen but I am not waiting to find out.

Hardware evolves over time. At the rate you are moving your hardware is going to be outdated before you have all your features implemented. Maybe I will take a look at your offerings in the future.

Please cancel my order and issue my refund.

BTW - I CC'd founders@getluma.com on this reply.  This is supposed to be a direct email to the two founder of Luma.

Luma:
Thank you for your order. We are sorry to hear that you wish to cancel. We have received your cancellation request and will refund your purchase shortly.

Thank you for your interest in Luma. We hope you will consider our products in the future!

I think you all will be underwhelmed, I am not a screaming and hollering kind of guy. Here is what I sent:

My initial interest in Luma was to simplify my home network. I work in the IT industry and I do not want to be a network admin at home. Plus with the 10-year-old daughter I wanted more parental controls. My Wi-Fi coverage was good, but I wanted to make it better. My goal was to use Luma for my home network and have a separate network for my lab. This would’ve cost me a bit extra to get two IP addresses from my ISP, but then I could have the two networks be totally separate with separate firewalls. While waiting for Luma I had the opportunity to add an extra access point clearing up my coverage issue while still having seamless roaming. I also had time to experiment with Circle from Disney, which seem to do well at parental controls. Additionally, I have had time to experiment with Untangle as a firewall. Its latest version is quite user-friendly and was easy for me to set up two totally separate networks from one IP address from my ISP.

On a different note, I am a tech enthusiast and experiment with products often. I have been very disappointed in the way Luma has failed to fulfill on presales orders. In watching the issues others are having with Luma products today, I can’t help but wonder if better beta testing would have resolved more of your issues. Current issues with unique devices like TiVo, Ethernet backhaul and other DHCP issues I think could’ve been resolved had you tested with more technical users with diverse environments, like myself. There has been a great deal of discussion on Luma and those doing current testing on a forum that I am quite active in: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/107-luma/

I may consider Luma in the future, but currently my Wi-Fi coverage and parental monitoring issues are squared away. 

You where way to kind but then again even if you did beat Luma up what good would it have done? Nice job, Thanks for sharing the email with us :)

Here is the email I sent to founders@getluma.com

You asked for feedback, here goes;

I have just cancelled my two orders for three packs. So why did I cancel my orders? Candidly, I expected a lot more from Luma straight out of the chute. The founders of the company have a strong track record in enterprise security. I work in the enterprise IT world so I’m very familiar with the names of the founders of Luma. That said I’m disappointed in the way the presales delivery was handled, the beta testing was handled and now the follow-up on issues. Many tech enthusiasts like myself offered to be beta testers for Luma. Our non-typical home network environments certainly would’ve helped Luma iron out many of the issues you are currently facing prior to launch. Much of the hype about the feature set Luma was set to bring to market appears to be smoke and mirrors. Which is concerning for tech enthusiasts such as myself, but is even more concerning for users who are less technical and are actually the target customer from Luma products. The target Luma customer probably doesn’t know they’re not getting what they paid for. I know the tech enthusiast market is not your target market as we are a small segment, but we influence and advise a much larger segment of the market. We could have been a great advocate for Luma. I can only hope that you are able to deliver on all of these promises over time.

On another note, I’ve been a strong backer of kick starters and presales technology opportunities. I enjoy trying new things and giving companies my feedback to help them build a better product. Luma’s inability to ship presales orders in a FIFO fashion will probably preclude me from doing kick starters and presales opportunities in the future. Simply put people that order presales technology tend to be tech enthusiasts who want to help you build a better product. When you turn around and make product available through retail channels prior to fulfilling all of your presales orders you tell us we are not important to you.

I encourage you to follow the conversation in a forum that I am active in:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/107-luma/

Kevin Schoonover

Schoondoggy in the HSS forum

Here is my correspondence with Luma for cancelling my order.  I tend to be a little more direct.

Me:

Who do I need to contact to cancel my pre-order?  The delays and lack of features that were promised are too much and I have chose to use another product.

Please let me me know this correspondence has been received and that you are processing my refund for my pre-order.

Luma Support:
I do apologize for the delays and lack of features that has caused you to want to cancel your order. Rest assured we are working hard to add features as we continue to send out our remaining pre-orders. If I could guarantee your ordering arriving between 08/05 - 08/11. would you keep your order with us? What features were you looking for? perhaps I can give you some dates as to when they'll be available for you.

Me:
I'm sorry but Luma has eroded my trust to the point I don't believe any of your promises.  A guarantee that my product will arrive between 8/5 and 8/11? You already committed to that earlier this month. Was that not a guarantee at that point?  Your Twitter account is saying preorders are shipping 1 week ahead of their original ship date (so why would you guarantee dates I was already given?). 

You (Luma) have done serious damage to your credibility. You first started shipping based on some unknown priority and ignored the early adopter orders. The Internet is full of examples of people who ordered late that miraculously received their orders when orders placed in Nov/Dec had not. Then you send out an explanation that you are shipping as fast as you can and anyone with an urgent need can request their shipment via an email. What? You mean I was again pushed back because of some arbitrary priority system? I shouldn't need to beg to get something I already paid for with the expectation that the company would exercise reasonable judgement and ship first come first served.

Then I start hearing from people who received their Luma order. The system does not have port forwarding or visibility to the filtering that you claim is utilized. Others are reporting issues with Tivo's getting DHCP addresses and Luma calls the TiVo a unique device. The list is long in features promised and not delivered at this time.

I hear there are updates coming. Again, people in my online community are talking about the promises made by Luma customer service. It seems like a lot of empty promises right now. Dates don't seem to mean anything.

I realize you are a startup company. I realize this is your first product and you wanted to get it into the market ASAP because your competitor was already selling. You may have been ok with shipping the product to early adopters in the order that you received orders but when you screwed that up you pissed off your most loyal backers. It all escalated from there as promises were made that you didn't deliver on AND you didn't communicate that some features were pending. Does the average consumer know you don't have advertised features included yet? Probably not but I suppose I am not average either.

I have already purchased your competitors product when you pushed out my shipping date to August. I still gave you an opportunity but the more I hear (update dates seem arbitrary and creeping out) I just feel I don't need to spend my money on what is essentially a beta tested product. You still need to make good on the promises for the basic features you advertised. They probably will eventually happen but I am not waiting to find out.

Hardware evolves over time. At the rate you are moving your hardware is going to be outdated before you have all your features implemented. Maybe I will take a look at your offerings in the future.

Please cancel my order and issue my refund.

BTW - I CC'd founders@getluma.com on this reply.  This is supposed to be a direct email to the two founder of Luma.

Luma:
Thank you for your order. We are sorry to hear that you wish to cancel. We have received your cancellation request and will refund your purchase shortly.

Thank you for your interest in Luma. We hope you will consider our products in the future!

You go Chris, I could not have said it better myself. Good call emailing the founders as well. That was the icing on the cake, What else could the rep say? Please keep us updated on the return process and credit. This was once a company of promise not long ago but is drifting quickly into the sunset.