RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
g725s

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 on this final day for the free upgrade?

g725s

I've been holding out.  My 2 home PC are on Windows 8.1 and I have a HP Microserver running WHS 2011.

I've not been up on all the latest with PCs in general as I've been busy away from the computer.  And I really know nothing about Windows 10, and especially if there are any issues with it and WHS 2011

But I still use my WHS 2011 server with these PCs running 8.1.

Just wondering if I should use this last day to upgrade to Windows 10.

Anyone want to chime in on what issues if any I might face?

Al_Borges

The only "sticking point"  in the upgrade in my opinion is whether you want or use Windows Media Center  and/or WHS connector.   

My HTPC is still on windows 8.1 and will stay on it because of WMC

I no longer use WHS, but others on this forum have had some degree of sucess in getting W10 clients sync to WHS2011

I think its especially true if you are running  8.1  -   This is an "orphan" OS with not much to go for it over W10

I've had no problems with the 7 boxes or so I've updated to W10 over the last year.  

• Like 1

g725s

The only "sticking point"  in the upgrade in my opinion is whether you want or use Windows Media Center  and/or WHS connector.   

My HTPC is still on windows 8.1 and will stay on it because of WMC

I no longer use WHS, but others on this forum have had some degree of sucess in getting W10 clients sync to WHS2011

I think its especially true if you are running  8.1  -   This is an "orphan" OS with not much to go for it over W10

I've had no problems with the 7 boxes or so I've updated to W10 over the last year.  

I'm not using WMC.  What do you mean by WHS Connector?

awraynor

The connector software installed by WHS 2011 on the client when installed. I'm on Windows 10 and often when it upgrades the connector

no longer works, I'm on the Fast Ring, not that that should matter I assume.

I've got my data on a separate drive from the OS and I back it all up to CrashPlan. Photos and video to numerous other places.

I've found the backup and restore feature to be unreliable any more and use my 2011 box for the MyMovies functionality which I still like.

So if Win8 and WHS 2011 are working for you I would stick with it.

g725s

So your talking about the Launchpad and Dashboard.  Do those work on Windows 10?

g725s

Well, just decided to pull the trigger and give it a try.  One PC i basically did a upgrade not keeping any programs or files.  And then the other I did an upgrade keeping all the files and programs.

Both work fine.  I'm not seeing any problems yet.  Both Launchpad and Dashboard work as they did.