RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jomobco

To bridge or to dig

jomobco

if you are going to dig, i would run fibre instead for future proof.

I have a few questions.  What's the difference in the OM1 to OM4 besides speed?  Anything in particular with fiber numbering I need to know?

I see primis cable does it where I can pick my cable, buy it per foot in length and they will do the ends.  The most expensive is $2'

Should I be worried with a 3 year old playing in the house and the fact that I've got a laser or 2 on?  

I worry about turning the corner coming into the buildings.  Do you have experience running this?  If so, how fragile is it.  

The good news is my current WISP found a glitch in their tower and thinks it might solve the intermittent latency and dropping issue.  Fingers crossed because then I can keep both WISP dishes on my house.  One less problem to solve.  

itGeeks

I didn't realize you could direct bury.  I was thinking dig for pipe, run wire in pipe, bring pipe and wire out of ground and figure out how to connect in a manner to seal and look good going into shop and barn exterior walls.  This just got a lot easier.  Get out the pick, dig a 4" trench, dump wire, refill.  Miss all sprinkler and barn power wiring at that depth.  

I've never connected the ends on cat cable.  I'm guessing it's not that hard with the right tools.  Simply test when finished correct?  

How far can I run cat 6 without issue?  ges

1st I want to say I was out of the office all afternoon so I could not chime in sooner but it looks like you where in good hands with the recommendations given. 2nd I don't know if I agree with direct bury but I guess if service providers are doing it I guess its OK. 3rd You need to use a cable that is outdoor rated, It will be more rugged then indoor CAT5/6, Some examples would be here https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cat6+outdoor+cable&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=72919651632&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7912514002441177495&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2z6443kzyl_b

If your going to run Ethernet I would say run CAT6 and not CAT5 to future proof and long runs is better in performance when using CAT6. Also I would not recommend only bury the cable 4" as Al_Borges said you want to bury the cable at least 7 inches down to avoid problems I would say I would like to see the cable buried 12-16 inches down to avoid problems but its up to you and or your city code for low voltage. As for how complicated it is to terminate the CAT cable its not hard with the rite tools and connectors and tester. First you want to use the standard 568B wiring found here  https://www.google.com/search?q=568b+wiring+color+code&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=769&tbm=isch&imgil=mv_-qJwDkn9rKM%253A%253BWqkgpqLGcuOrKM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.darren-criss.org%25252Fethernet-cable-wire-diagram%25252Fthe-jack-cat-5-cable-wiring-diagram-for-rj45-b51fc1750bf5a50e.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=mv_-qJwDkn9rKM%253A%252CWqkgpqLGcuOrKM%252C_&usg=__DyU5iWnl0Y-ADT3tz2V4CBGbibI%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiA7JeA_ZnOAhUC7iYKHbB_BuAQyjcIPQ&ei=0vqbV4C7PILcmwGw_5mADg#imgrc=mv_-qJwDkn9rKM%3A

I also highly recommend an RJ45 connector with a pass threw such as this one that I use and recommend http://www.platinumtools.com/products/connectors/ez-rj45-connectors/

You will also need a cable stripper such as this http://www.platinumtools.com/products/strippers/coax-strippers/all-in-one-stripping-tool-15018/

You will also need the the crimp tool to use with the connectors http://www.platinumtools.com/products/crimpers/ez-rj45-crimpers/ez-rjpro-hd-crimp-tool-100054c/

Get your self a cheap network cable tester from Lows or Home Depo.

For a how to make the termination you can check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7TjqnRl3QQ

Hope this helps...

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

cmccomas

I have a few questions.  What's the difference in the OM1 to OM4 besides speed?  Anything in particular with fiber numbering I need to know?

I see primis cable does it where I can pick my cable, buy it per foot in length and they will do the ends.  The most expensive is $2'

Should I be worried with a 3 year old playing in the house and the fact that I've got a laser or 2 on?  

I worry about turning the corner coming into the buildings.  Do you have experience running this?  If so, how fragile is it.  

The good news is my current WISP found a glitch in their tower and thinks it might solve the intermittent latency and dropping issue.  Fingers crossed because then I can keep both WISP dishes on my house.  One less problem to solve.  

OM1 is usually orange and the core is 62.5 micron

OM4 is usually blue and the core is 50 micron

The difference lies in the bandwidth and power coupling efficiency.  Long story short OM4 offers about 3 times more bandwidth.  Both are multi mode fiber using LED light sources at 850nm.  Your max distance will be about 300 meters.  Once you go over that you get into single mode and the costs go exponentially for fiber and optics.

If your running this at home OM1 should be fine, just remember to buy it pre-terminated,  LC and SC being the most common connectors... I would suggest LC as it's more common.

Multimode does not use lasers, it's an LED tuned to 850nm.  You can see it if you look down the fiber... I do it all the time and have had no problem.  It's relatively safe and should pose no problem if you don't stair at if for long.  Singlemode uses lasers with significant power levels depending on the span distance.  This will cause eye damage.  It's clad in yellow.... and is 1310nm but can also have multiple wavelengths multiplexed together in the 1500nm range.

Fiber is actually quite strong it has a Kevlar jacket usually so you can yank on it like crazy.  It's weakness is bends and you have to watch the bend radius carefully.  A sharp 90 angle will damage it, you will also get signal loss as you bend the fiber so keep that in mind too. 

Edited by cmccomas
  • Like 1

cskenney

You can go direct burial or pull thru a conduit.  Both ways work as long as you have the correct cable.  If you even plan to need additional cable pulled to these buildings then plastic conduit would probably make more sense.  it will definitely be more expensive.  If you ever have a problem with your wiring you are going to wish you had pulled it through a conduit.  

• Like 1

schoondoggy

If you bury conduit, go bigger than you need and pull extra nylon string to pull future runs.

You can get 25 meter LC-LC fiber cables for under $20.

If it were me I would pull a Cat6a and a fiber to each building in a conduit, but I would first compare pricing to what Al has referenced above.

• Like 1

itGeeks

You can go direct burial or pull thru a conduit.  Both ways work as long as you have the correct cable.  If you even plan to need additional cable pulled to these buildings then plastic conduit would probably make more sense.  it will definitely be more expensive.  If you ever have a problem with your wiring you are going to wish you had pulled it through a conduit.  

I would also add after doing some resirch on this topic today the consensuses say to use 

SCHEDULE 40 FLEXIBLE CONDUIT AND ACCESSORIES http://www.cantexinc.com/Products/Schedule_40/Flexible_Conduit_and_Accessories/

I would also run a pull string with the line for future runs https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-56108-Poly-500-Feet/dp/B0026TA6WK

jomobco

Upon reading from everyones suggestions here I like the idea of the fiber.  The biggest reason is the fact that if I don't do direct burial and use schedule 40 PVC there is no metal and thus no conductivity.  I will be bridging three buildings together and my reading lead me to believe I should ground any metal cable between buildings which makes total sense.  Now hearing from Cmcdomas about the simplicity AND no laser to harm the little one I'm leaning even farther.  Plus it's far more forward looking than even cat 6 for future upgrades.  

I've got my second WISP provider going in Tuesday.  I'm still unfortunately having some cut-out issues with my current WISP.  I want to nail them down on frequencies and then dig further into a wireless bridge.  Ubuiquity and others provide simple and not to expensive solutions up to 450Mbps.  Real world varies according to the reviews.  

Thanks for everyone's input!  I will post back on this later in the week.  

Al_Borges

On the topic of burying cable

checked with a buddy of mine who is an installer / servicer for a Rural Telephone and Internet Co-Op here in northern Indiana.

He and everyone he knows of , direct buries  about 7" deep  for all low voltage applications -  both new installs and repairs  -  this includes telephone, coax and Cat6

He will easily go 250' without any special equipment at the telephone pole.  

When they have to fix a broken line -  they basically run a new line in most cases -   cheaper than trying to locate and splice new cable.    

going deeper requires trenching and 18-24" deep is  "code" for natural gas or buried propane lines around here. 

Water and sewer lines need to be deeper than the frost line -  about 42" min in this part of the country 

• Like 1

ShadowPeo

if you are going to dig, i would run fibre instead for future proof.

100% agreement here

Once you go over that you get into single mode and the costs go exponentially for fiber and optics.

If your running this at home OM1 should be fine, just remember to buy it pre-terminated,  LC and SC being the most common connectors... I would suggest LC as it's more common.

Interesting you say that, to me single mode is cheaper to install, more expensive on the active equipment and the splicing, yes but the fibre itself is cheaper.

If you bury conduit, go bigger than you need and pull extra nylon string to pull future runs.

You can get 25 meter LC-LC fiber cables for under $20.

If it were me I would pull a Cat6a and a fiber to each building in a conduit, but I would first compare pricing to what Al has referenced above.

110% agreement here. Yes you can direct bury the cable, but if it breaks you need to dig it up and/or do it again. With conduiting, you simply pull the new cable through

Upon reading from everyones suggestions here I like the idea of the fiber.  The biggest reason is the fact that if I don't do direct burial and use schedule 40 PVC there is no metal and thus no conductivity.  I will be bridging three buildings together and my reading lead me to believe I should ground any metal cable between buildings which makes total sense.  Now hearing from Cmcdomas about the simplicity AND no laser to harm the little one I'm leaning even farther.  Plus it's far more forward looking than even cat 6 for future upgrades.  

I've got my second WISP provider going in Tuesday.  I'm still unfortunately having some cut-out issues with my current WISP.  I want to nail them down on frequencies and then dig further into a wireless bridge.  Ubuiquity and others provide simple and not to expensive solutions up to 450Mbps.  Real world varies according to the reviews.  

Thanks for everyone's input!  I will post back on this later in the week.  

Laser should not be an issue for anyone if they are not crazy enough to look down the pipe, and the active equipment should be put in a "secure" area anyway. Having said that I would use OS1/2 or OM3/4 depending on needs (I use OM3 at home).

You are correct it is a good idea to ground metal cabling even if its underground. I will normally use lighting arrestors too for good measure.

Edited by ShadowPeo
  • Like 1