RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jomobco

To bridge or to dig

jomobco

I need to connect my 2 outbuildings for a number of reasons.  The shop is 40' away line of site, the barn is 60'.  They form a triangle in layout.  Both out buildings are metal skinned, the house is stick built.  The shop and house have multiple windows facing each other.  The barn has a single window facing the house more than the shop.  Digging from the house to the shop is fairly easy.  Digging from the shop to the barn isn't as easy but it is easier than digging from the house to the barn due to water lines, sprinkler system, and barn power line which is buried from the house.  Shop power is overhead from the pole, the same as the house.  So my intended burial path for a cable run would be house to shop, shop to barn.   

I'm having issue with my WISP.  The tower I can hit from the house gets interference at odd times on the 3GHZ frequency.  It's not coming from my house but somewhere in between my dish and the tower 1.5 miles away.  It drops the connection and runs the latency up to 3000MS at random times for brief but signal killing moments.  

There is another tower but it can only be seen from the barn due to trees and buildings.   I currently could only do a power line adapter or a wireless bridge to connect this.  The power line adapter clearly won't work for this service.  I'm not sure if a bridge would.  

I'm about to add another WISP next week for redundancy as we are about to cut the cable cord and go completely steaming.  I'm not sure where they have their towers yet but their map showed I was in their coverage area.  This could mean 2 dishes on different buildings needing to be combined with my dual WAN router.  

There is no cable internet here, only DSL which I'm not going back to (1500KBPS crap).  Those are my only choices.  

I want reliability and consistency.  I don't mind spending the money for a solution that works but I'm not made of gold.  Am I missing some kind of fantastic bridge I could use instead of digging?  And how with a bridge would I tie all three buildings together?  Two bridges?

If I dig, what kind of pipe do I use?  What kind of cable do I use (cat vs fiber)?  How do I install lightening arrestors, etc.  Can I finish all the ends?  What about going through the walls into the buildings? 

I will likely be doing this myself.  

I've been reading up on this for a while now so I know enough to be dangerous.  Any and all ideas will be appreciated.  

itGeeks

I need to connect my 2 outbuildings for a number of reasons.  The shop is 40' away line of site, the barn is 60'.  They form a triangle in layout.  Both out buildings are metal skinned, the house is stick built.  The shop and house have multiple windows facing each other.  The barn has a single window facing the house more than the shop.  Digging from the house to the shop is fairly easy.  Digging from the shop to the barn isn't as easy but it is easier than digging from the house to the barn due to water lines, sprinkler system, and barn power line which is buried from the house.  Shop power is overhead from the pole, the same as the house.  So my intended burial path for a cable run would be house to shop, shop to barn.   

I'm having issue with my WISP.  The tower I can hit from the house gets interference at odd times on the 3GHZ frequency.  It's not coming from my house but somewhere in between my dish and the tower 1.5 miles away.  It drops the connection and runs the latency up to 3000MS at random times for brief but signal killing moments.  

There is another tower but it can only be seen from the barn due to trees and buildings.   I currently could only do a power line adapter or a wireless bridge to connect this.  The power line adapter clearly won't work for this service.  I'm not sure if a bridge would.  

I'm about to add another WISP next week for redundancy as we are about to cut the cable cord and go completely steaming.  I'm not sure where they have their towers yet but their map showed I was in their coverage area.  This could mean 2 dishes on different buildings needing to be combined with my dual WAN router.  

There is no cable internet here, only DSL which I'm not going back to (1500KBPS crap).  Those are my only choices.  

I want reliability and consistency.  I don't mind spending the money for a solution that works but I'm not made of gold.  Am I missing some kind of fantastic bridge I could use instead of digging?  And how with a bridge would I tie all three buildings together?  Two bridges?

If I dig, what kind of pipe do I use?  What kind of cable do I use (cat vs fiber)?  How do I install lightening arrestors, etc.  Can I finish all the ends?  What about going through the walls into the buildings? 

I've been reading on this a while now so I know enough to be dangerous.  Any and all ideas will be appreciated.  

Is there any COAX runing from the house to those 2 buildings?

jomobco

Is there any COAX runing from the house to those 2 buildings?

No.  

itGeeks

No.  

and you already said powerline won't work for you. Short of running Ethernet (best) have you looked at ubiquiti products? They will have what you need for point to point, I have never done this kind of setup but I know ubiquiti will be your friend here. Reach out to them and explain your situation and let us know what there solution is.

https://www.ubnt.com/

jmwills

Run the CAT5/6 to the buildings inside of PVC.

• Like 1

Al_Borges

You can purchase direct bury CAT 6 cable for 10-15 cents per foot -  no need to install in a pipe if you dont need to.  

When they installed Fiber Broadband to my house, they direct buried the cable from the switch box in the street directly to my house.  

in many ways the loose cable is better than pipe -  its flexible enough to move when the ground heaves during the winter - unlike PVC pipe

to bury it, they have dedicated machines ( cable/wire installers) or trenchers -  I know that you can rent them - they are used to run low voltage cable  for outdoor lighting and such. 

These devices bury the cable about 7" inches or so, which is okay for low voltage, wiring  ( check your local codes.)  here is what I am talking about

http://www.eztrench.com/wirecable-installers/

When they are done, you can barely see any marks in the ground. 

Of course, there is nothing preventing you from just digging a trench the old fashioned way.

So the total cost wouldnt be that far off from what a couple of wireless extenders would cost or a bit less. 

Sound like you live in the country but us City folk should call the utility marking service and have all the utilities lines in your yard marked out before you start digging

I also then took a image from google maps and marked up my low voltage lines so I know where they are at for future use.

• Like 2

jmwills

Good points on the flexing of the cable.  I just try and prevent any accidental cutting of the cable.

snapper

if you are going to dig, i would run fibre instead for future proof.

• Like 2

jomobco

You can purchase direct bury CAT 6 cable for 10-15 cents per foot -  no need to install in a pipe if you dont need to.  

Of course, there is nothing preventing you from just digging a trench the old fashioned way.

I didn't realize you could direct bury.  I was thinking dig for pipe, run wire in pipe, bring pipe and wire out of ground and figure out how to connect in a manner to seal and look good going into shop and barn exterior walls.  This just got a lot easier.  Get out the pick, dig a 4" trench, dump wire, refill.  Miss all sprinkler and barn power wiring at that depth.  

I've never connected the ends on cat cable.  I'm guessing it's not that hard with the right tools.  Simply test when finished correct?  

How far can I run cat 6 without issue?  

jmwills

100 meters (328 feet)

• Like 2