RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

Ubiquiti AmpliFi Mesh Review

oj88

Not sure if this was asked already... With AmpliFi, can you 'chain' mesh points?

The documentation uses the following deployment method:

<Mesh point 1>----<Base Router>----<Mesh point 2>

But will this scenario work?

<Base Router>----<Mesh Point 1>----<Mesh Point 2>

The assumption here is that Mesh Point 2 is too far from the Base and/or its signal is obstructed, but is still within RF range of Mesh Point 1.

awraynor

The ping time is 32ms tonight. Page loads seem to do pretty well at the moment. Other times you can literally see the page

content load as you wait. Wired and wireless devices seem to suffer equally.

Kind of funny that I'm using a Linux distro at the moment and browsing usually is better on it than Win10.

I found humor in the comments from Eero support.

Thanks for writing in! In regards to your question, we don't actually support MoCA so those extenders would not work. I would suggest ethernet over any form of extender, as my honest personal opinion, as my own saying is literally "Extenders are fleeting, wire is forever." . They have so many less fault points than an extender and they never seem to work right for me. 

Test
(From VA, USA) Loss Min
Latency
Avg
Latency
Max
Latency
Pass
Fail
basic ping
10s of 40 byte packets, 2 per second 0% 22.2ms 38.1ms 123ms icon4.gif
warn

RobbieH

The ping time is 32ms tonight. Page loads seem to do pretty well at the moment. Other times you can literally see the page

Kind of funny that I'm using a Linux distro at the moment and browsing usually is better on it than Win10.

I don't understand - is this Eero or AmpliFi?

awraynor

This is Eero.

Not sure if this was asked already... With AmpliFi, can you 'chain' mesh points?

--------

--------

The assumption here is that Mesh Point 2 is too far from the Base and/or its signal is obstructed, but is still within RF range of Mesh Point 1.

Chat told me last night the router doesn't have to be in the middle, although literature would suggest otherwise.

schoondoggy

Thanks for writing in! In regards to your question, we don't actually support MoCA so those extenders would not work. I would suggest ethernet over any form of extender, as my honest personal opinion, as my own saying is literally "Extenders are fleeting, wire is forever." . They have so many less fault points than an extender and they never seem to work right for me. 

Test

(From VA, USA) Loss Min

Latency Avg

Latency Max

Latency Pass

Fail basic ping

warn

When latency issues are different between computers, usually this is not your network. It is either in the PC or at the ISP. I think there are some troubleshooting guides to help resolve. 

itGeeks

Test

(From VA, USA) Loss Min

Latency Avg

Latency Max

Latency Pass

Fail basic ping

warn

32ms Ouch, That's high. Most cases should be no more the 4-7ms. Do me a favor open an elevated command prompt in Windows and ping the IP address of your router and then and post the results min, max, average. Then ping the IP address of Eero and post the results as well. After you do that ping google.com and post the results. This will demonstrate if your router/Eero are at fault or the DNS servers your using. Please do the ping test using a wired connection if you can. Pinging your internal router/Eero should be no more then 1-2ms.

Edited by itGeeks

schoondoggy

32ms Ouch, That's high. Most cases should be no more the 4-7ms. Do me a favor open an elevated command prompt in Windows and ping the IP address of your router and then and post the results min, max, average. Then ping the IP address of Eero and post the results as well. After you do that ping google.com and post the results. This will demonstrate if your router/Eero are at fault or the DNS servers your using. Please do the ping test using a wired connection if you can. Pinging your internal router/Eero should be no more then 1-2ms.

I assume the 32ms is an internet number from SpeedTest. Good tips on determining if the latency local or ISP.

itGeeks

I don't understand - is this Eero or AmpliFi?

Eero but I know y your confused, For some reason this conversation is in the AmpliFi forum.

itGeeks

<Mesh point 1>----<Base Router>----<Mesh point 2>

<Base Router>----<Mesh Point 1>----<Mesh Point 2>

Yes, Turns out the Mesh Points do talk to each other according to Ubiq. See chat below-

Chat started on 18 Aug 2016, 01:02 PM (GMT+0)
(01:02:46) *** Ray joined the chat *** (01:02:47) Ray: Hello, I am taking a hard look at AmpliFi to purchase but I have some qwestions. Can the mesh endpoints talk to each other and only to the main base-station/router? I ask because I cant centrally locate the base-station in my house. (01:02:54) *** Ron T joined the chat *** (01:02:58) Ron T: Hi ray (01:03:05) Ray: Hi Ron (01:03:27) Ron T: Yes, the Mesh points talks with each other (01:05:06) Ray: Really? I was told the main base-station needed to be centrally located becouse the mesh endpoints need good signal back to the base-station? (01:05:40) Ron T: No, the Mesh point can talk each other (01:06:07) Ron T: And you can place 100-120 feet from each other (01:08:38) Ray: WOW that is great news. Now for performance, Will the mesh endpoints pick the best route back to the base-station automaticly? Meaning if the mesh endpoints have good signal with the base-station will it just use 1 hop instead of using 2 or more hops back to the base-station? (01:09:07) Ron T: Yes, that's correct (01:10:23) Ray: Thanks. About how much performance will we loose for each hop back to the base-station? (01:11:00) Ron T: From the Mesh point there will be 40% degradation (01:12:09) Ray: is that for each hop or in total? Anotherwords even if its only one hop back to the base-station? (01:12:18) Ron T: It is total (01:14:53) Ray: WOW that's still allot to loose. Any reason they decided not to allow 'Ethernet Backhaul' as an option for those of use that have Ethernet run to each location where we would install a mesh-point? (01:16:15) Ron T: Yes you are right (01:16:39) Ron T: We will forward your feedback (01:16:54) Ron T: Thanks for your valuable feedback (01:17:49) Ray: Thanks. When will the web interface be active to manage AmpliFi? (01:18:14) Ron T: We are expecting in the end of Sept. (01:18:36) Ron T: As our developer team are working on it (01:19:14) Ron T: Do you have any other questions for me? (01:20:05) Ray: No thanks. You been great! Have a great day! (01:20:14) Ron T: You are welcome (01:20:16) *** Chat Rating request has been sent. *** (01:20:26) Ron T: Thanks for chatting with us (01:20:28) *** Ray has rated the chat Good *** (01:20:36) Ron T: Have a great time (01:27:20) *** Ron T left the chat *** (02:07:24) *** Ray left the chat ***

itGeeks

Thanks for sharing. Entertaining, but not particularly informative. It's probably just me, but not yet convinced Eero is delivering anything

beyond my old router in my circumstance.

In my setup it's hard to place the router in the middle of my house. My biggest issue was and still appears to be latency. I just e-mailed Eero

about using MoCA vs. ethernet for backhaul. Hopefully to also reduce latency? Apparently Eero does not support MoCA. 

Next chatted with Amplifi and they do support MoCA.  However, that would once again put the router at one end of the other in my setup.

Chat said it didn't matter although their literature emphasizes central placement. Too bad the mesh points don't have ethernet connections. 

Chat repeated the HD is shipping mid-September so waiting for more real world reviews.

Do you know if an Open-Mesh or Ubiquiti AC Pro AP would suffer from the same latency issues?

I think Eero support is confused what your asking, I see you asked about using MoCA vs Ethernet backhaul and that's not correct. You would be using a MoCA adapter to provide Ethernet to the Eero so you can use Ethernet Backhaul. Devices with an Ethernet port are dumb in that they don't know how the Ethernet connection is HOT they only know the Eithernet wire is HOT and working. This should work for you. 

Edited by itGeeks