RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

Ubiquiti AmpliFi Mesh Review

awraynor

I had read that review already. Most reviews have mentioned good performance which is not surprising

because of the Ubiquiti heritage.

The mesh points would work great as I have two wall mounted outlets up high that would be perfect for them.

The downside is the router works best when placed in the middle which isn't exactly optimal for my house.

whsbuss

I had read that review already. Most reviews have mentioned good performance which is not surprising

because of the Ubiquiti heritage.

The mesh points would work great as I have two wall mounted outlets up high that would be perfect for them.

The downside is the router works best when placed in the middle which isn't exactly optimal for my house.

They want a centrally located router so you can place the remotes on each side to get full mesh coverage. I would think the remotes have to one hop link to the router and not cascade.

awraynor

Didn't realize that only the HD unit has 802.11ac for the remotes. The other two units only support 802.11n - that's good to know. 

The cheapest of them all with good performance. Some have commented it doesn't do true mesh. Interesting however.

awraynor

Thanks for sharing. Entertaining, but not particularly informative. It's probably just me, but not yet convinced Eero is delivering anything

beyond my old router in my circumstance.

In my setup it's hard to place the router in the middle of my house. My biggest issue was and still appears to be latency. I just e-mailed Eero

about using MoCA vs. ethernet for backhaul. Hopefully to also reduce latency? Apparently Eero does not support MoCA. 

Next chatted with Amplifi and they do support MoCA.  However, that would once again put the router at one end of the other in my setup.

Chat said it didn't matter although their literature emphasizes central placement. Too bad the mesh points don't have ethernet connections. 

Chat repeated the HD is shipping mid-September so waiting for more real world reviews.

Do you know if an Open-Mesh or Ubiquiti AC Pro AP would suffer from the same latency issues?

schoondoggy

Thanks for sharing. Entertaining, but not particularly informative. It's probably just me, but not yet convinced Eero is delivering anything

beyond my old router in my circumstance.

In my setup it's hard to place the router in the middle of my house. My biggest issue was and still appears to be latency.

When you run Speedtest what does it show for latency? Slow page loading could many things. Does it do it on all browsers on all devices?