RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

Ubiquiti AmpliFi Mesh Review

awraynor

Not a particularly thorough review, but a positive one nonetheless. It's only the first few minutes of the video.

The form factor would actually work for me. I've got two spots up high in the hallway with outlets and these

would be great for that.  More affordable than the others.

• Like 2

awraynor

Chatted with Ubiquiti. AmpliHD is what they suggested for me, of course. Additional Mesh Points shipping in September if needed.

I'm hoping for more reviews in the very near future.

schoondoggy

I think the mesh points are actually repeaters. Repeaters usually scare me off, but Ubiquiti is really good at repeaters. The other review I read on this was hung up on the aesthetics of the mesh points, but if they are plugged into a wall outlet in most cases they will be close to the wall. I think they will look fine.  

oj88

Ubiquiti doesn't say much about the actual technology they used for the base unit to talk to the remote mesh points, but I do believe that they're true-blue mesh. At least that was what one reviewer indicated in his write-up.

Amplifi works by creating a mesh network rather than by "extending" Wi-Fi. Traditional Wi-Fi extenders (along with repeaters) re-broadcast your existing Wi-Fi signal on a second SSID, effectively halving the available client bandwidth. In a mesh network, each network component uses some variable chunk of its bandwidth as "backhaul" to talk to other network components, and the rest to talk to clients...

jomobco

Good to know you can buy additional peers in September.  

\

awraynor

Good to know you can buy additional peers in September.  

\

Well. That's at least what they told me in the chat. 

Also HD version should ship "sometime" in late August although original literature said August 15th. 

jomobco

Did you get the rundown on the differences between the HD, Long Range and Regular were?

awraynor

Did you get the rundown on the differences between the HD, Long Range and Regular were?

It's here. I was going to go with AmpliFi HD, but qtopplings graciously shared an Eero discount code with me and

I ordered a 3-pack of Eero devices. While canceling all 6 of my Luma devices.

The difference they provided is here:

https://amplifi.com/docs/AmpliFi_Datasheet.pdf

• Like 1

awraynor

30-day return on Eero. Hopefully by then more reviews of Amplifi will be out.

• Like 1