RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving iTunes from Macbock to NAS

rgreenpc

Have any of you tried this... I am not worries about music outside the house since I also have Plex read my iTunes XML

Have any of you tried this... I am not worries about music outside the house since I also have Plex read my iTunes XML

Yes but not from Mac I moved everyone's music off there Windows computers to the NAS and it works great using Plex also. There should be no difference Windows vs Mac. Was there something you needed to know?

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

Yes but not from Mac I moved everyone's music off there Windows computers to the NAS and it works great using Plex also. There should be no difference Windows vs Mac. Was there something you needed to know?

I guess the issues are - 

Moving it is as simple as moving the directory and then repoint iTunes...

2.  How do I keep plex in sync.

3. I worry about iTunes movies clogging it up... is there a way to delete a cloud downloaded movie or setting a max size for number of movies?

I guess the issues are - 

Moving it is as simple as moving the directory and then repoint iTunes...

2.  How do I keep plex in sync.

3. I worry about iTunes movies clogging it up... is there a way to delete a cloud downloaded movie or setting a max size for number of movies?

I am sorry I don't know if I understand the question but I will give it a go.

1st you don't have to keep the iTunes structure when you move everything over to the NAS, What I did was go into the media folder of iTunes and copy all the music for instance and put it into a new folder I created on the NAS and I did that for everything I wanted to copy over from iTunes. For example you could create a folder on the NAS called Timmy music and copy all of the music out of Timmy computer stored in the iTunes media folder then copy the iTunes Libary.xml file to the new location and point iTunes to the new location. Don't stress about the iTunes folder structure, You can copy the media to any folder or folders you want on the NAS. Now that all the data is copy Plex will search and add all the artwork/metadata like any other media you have already on the NAS. Have a look at this http://www.macworld.com/article/2996002/streaming-media/how-to-set-up-an-itunes-library-on-a-network-attached-server.html

I am sorry I don't know if I understand the question but I will give it a go.

1st you don't have to keep the iTunes structure when you move everything over to the NAS, What I did was go into the media folder of iTunes and copy all the music for instance and put it into a new folder I created on the NAS and I did that for everything I wanted to copy over from iTunes. For example you could create a folder on the NAS called Timmy music and copy all of the music out of Timmy computer stored in the iTunes media folder then copy the iTunes Libary.xml file to the new location and point iTunes to the new location. Don't stress about the iTunes folder structure, You can copy the media to any folder or folders you want on the NAS. Now that all the data is copy Plex will search and add all the artwork/metadata like any other media you have already on the NAS. Have a look at this http://www.macworld.com/article/2996002/streaming-media/how-to-set-up-an-itunes-library-on-a-network-attached-server.html

SO point plex to iTunes or do I give plex the itunes XML file ( is Eem to recall that)

SO point plex to iTunes or do I give plex the itunes XML file ( is Eem to recall that)

Sorry for the delay. No you don't point Plex to iTunes and I don't setup the iTunes XML file in Plex either. There are many ways to set this up its all going to depend on if you iTunes media avalible for anything other then the iTunes app. If its only the iTunes app that you use and you don't have any other Apple devices that need access to the iTunes media then you can set this up anyway you want, You don't need to keep the iTunes file structure just make folders on the Plex server and copy the iTunes music, video, movies what ever into your newly created folders then create a Plex library for each folder and Plex will handle the rest downloading metadata, artwork, Ect. Now for the iTunes library you can either leave it on your computer if that's the only computer used with iTunes or move it to the NAS for 24 hour access.

Here is a set of instruction for moving everything over to your NAS threw iTunes and keeping the iTunes folder structure but keeping the metadata local to your computer-

Go to iTunes->Preferences->Advanced. At the top, you'll see the current consolidated location of your media. Click Change, and choose the location on your NAS where you want all of the media stored. Then go to File->Library->Organize Library, check Consolidate Files, and click Ok. This will move all of your media (including music, podcasts, apps, books, etc) to the NAS while keeping the iTunes metadata like playlists and play counts on your local hard drive. This is mostly from Apple:http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

Edited by itGeeks