RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Certificate Error

whsvet

No, I did not try that method because I was not familiar with it. Until now, I had no experience manipulating certificates. Most of my info was gathered from sites such as Here and Here. There are probably easier ways to do this, I just could not find them.

No, I did not try that method because I was not familiar with it. Until now, I had no experience manipulating certificates. Most of my info was gathered from sites such as Here and Here. There are probably easier ways to do this, I just could not find them.

It would be interesting to find out if it would work for you.

If you take a look at some of the Windows Small Business Server blogs, this process is a little more streamlined in that SBS creates a package for you to install these .509 certs. The only part they leave out is to install the certs in the Trusted Root Certificates store.

I am curious, that if you look under the advanced properties of the certs you imported and are still getting the warning, what properties are checked. Basically, everything except Secure E-Mail and Client Authentication should be checked.

The problem I found was that the automated processes did not install the correct cert. The "*server-name*-CA" cert is the one that had to be installed into the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities store. Having the "*server-name*" cert there by itself had no effect. In fact, I think it works without the "*server-name*" cert installed anywhere on the client machine.

I should have stated in the "blog post" above, that prior to the import procedure, I deleted all "*server-name*" certs from the client machine's Trusted Root Cert Authorities store that had been installed previously through other means.

This has been very confusing to me. I read enough websites to piece together this protocol that seems to work. Now maybe someone who really understands this cert stuff can explain why it works :rolleyes:

Great writeup; very thorough. What I find interesting is why it happens on some builds and not others. Should I believe that the home-brews that seem to have no issues with the valid certificates have done something "right" or have they not installed something and the certificate validation system is non-functioning? I.E. is no news necessarily good news?

Frustration!

On my XP computer at work double-clicking the cert file to install it worked like a charm. As I posted earlier it allowed me to get to the email server running on my WHS without a cert prompt. Beauty!

However, it didn't work on my win7 computer at home. When I followed whsvet's thorough description I found out that the cert had never been added to the Trusted Root store at all. So, I followed the instructions and added it. It installed and now I can see it. Problem solved, right? Wrong! I still get the cert prompt. Nuts!

Oh well. Maybe 1 day I'll get it fixed.

quick update. I found out that the double-click technique of installing a cert on win7 does add it to the Trusted Root, but not of Computer; rather, of My User. I tried adding the cert to the Trusted Root of each of the 3 options, My User, Service, & Computer, alone and in combination but none of them worked.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while since this thread was updated, but today at work we discovered that the issue seems to involve different versions of IE. Again, at work, when we go to 1 intranet site using IE6 (after installing the cert) it works fine. However, if we go to the same site using IE8 it still gives the security warning page. Stay tuned....