RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

restored win7 after win10 upgrade, cannot backup pc anymore

RobWu

Before anyone starts telling me "I told you so...."
I know.... I know.... but.... but.... ;-)

So.... I upgraded my Win7 pc to Win10 yesterday. All went fairly well this time (another story...), and within a hour I was looking at a Win10 desktop.
Did some new driver juggling, and all seem OK at first.
Than it started to degrade quite quickly. Apps were being uninstalled or rendered non-functional, drivers went AWOL, I couldn't create any accounts for online stuff, like a google/ms account etc.

Finally, after a couple of hours of bug hunting I gave up, and restored my old Win7 from the server. This all went like clockwork, and within another hour or so I was back running Win7.

The only thing is that on the server, the PC is now seen as a Win10 pc, and as such not connected to the network. This is also happening with the connector, it's grayed out.
I cannot change any of the settings for the pc backup, as it is 'offline or not connected to the network'.

Is there a way to fix this, or do I have to remove the pc from the devices list, and reinstall connector to get things running again? I do loose all my previous backups, which I feel is a bit 'tricky' atm...

cheers!

rob

To answer my own question... ;-)

It was as easy as to re-run the connector installer, and resetting the DNS settings for the NIC (I still have my DNS settings looking at the ISP, not the server)
I also had to reset the "SkipAutoDNSServerDetection" reg value back to 'true', the "SkipDomainJoin" was kept and properly set during the reinstall.

All is well, the pc is again showing up as as Win7 pc, and backup up again. :-)

cheers!

rob