RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

Backblaze Cloud Storage

itGeeks

why are you replacing CrashPlan?

two reasons, 1st its not a supported app by Synology so every time they push an OS update it seems to break it and we have to wait for the developer to push an update and 2nd its a memory hog. It works very well when it works but now I am looking for a service that Synology supports the package and the Amazon Cloud Drive just mite become the replacement. I have to test it still when I get a chance. 

Drashna Jaelre

I think I am confused :huh: So your not hosting the backup of our data like Crashplan?

No.  Specifically not. Though this is something that we've talked about extensively. 

StableBit CloudDrive is software you install on the (Windows) system.  You log into the accounts for whichever provider (or multiple accounts and/or providers), and then you "create a drive on that account".  

It's akin to iSCSI (if you're familiar with that), but using whichever cloud provider as the storage backend. 

The neat thing is that because we store the raw disk data on the provider (rather than the "actual files"), is that the software can fully encrypt the data.  Without the encryption key, you can't view the data, let alone the file names. 

awraynor

two reasons, 1st its not a supported app by Synology so every time they push an OS update it seems to break it and we have to wait for the developer to push an update and 2nd its a memory hog. It works very well when it works but now I am looking for a service that Synology supports the package and the Amazon Cloud Drive just mite become the replacement. I have to test it still when I get a chance. 

I tell SyncBack Pro to backup, not sync data. It's another option in my overly redundant schema. And it's accessible like a cloud drive, not oddly like CrashPlan.

itGeeks

No.  Specifically not. Though this is something that we've talked about extensively. 

StableBit CloudDrive is software you install on the (Windows) system.  You log into the accounts for whichever provider (or multiple accounts and/or providers), and then you "create a drive on that account".  

It's akin to iSCSI (if you're familiar with that), but using whichever cloud provider as the storage backend. 

The neat thing is that because we store the raw disk data on the provider (rather than the "actual files"), is that the software can fully encrypt the data.  Without the encryption key, you can't view the data, let alone the file names. 

Very interesting. Yes I am familiar and use iSCSI in-house. I think it would be great if you offer backup storage though I understand you would be up agents some big players in this space but I guess if you already have a large customer base with other products/services this could be a value add.

Al_Borges

Crashplan often gets a bad rap with regards to memory usage -      for most default settings its constantly backing up all changes and as a result, memory usage is high as it keeps track of all the changes on files its monitoring.

But that is what I am paying for -  continual, online backup of my data -    A similar program , Carbonite, also has a relatively high memory footprint.

You can reduce the memory footprint by reducing the backup frequency or even restricting times the backup service will run.   But if you have 8 or 16 gigs of memory, what does it matter ?

If your needs are for discreet, scheduled syncs or backups, then there are other programs that run off the scheduler, rather than all the time.

I won a years subscription to Crashplan at a Homeserver meetup several years ago , and I have been a very pleased customer since then. 

• Like 2

itGeeks

Crashplan often gets a bad rap with regards to memory usage -      for most default settings its constantly backing up all changes and as a result, memory usage is high as it keeps track of all the changes on files its monitoring.

But that is what I am paying for -  continual, online backup of my data -    A similar program , Carbonite, also has a relatively high memory footprint.

You can reduce the memory footprint by reducing the backup frequency or even restricting times the backup service will run.   But if you have 8 or 16 gigs of memory, what does it matter ?

If your needs are for discreet, scheduled syncs or backups, then there are other programs that run off the scheduler, rather than all the time.

I won a years subscription to Crashplan at a Homeserver meetup several years ago , and I have been a very pleased customer since then. 

Thanks for the info. When I started using Crashplan it was local to my computer but I have sense moved to a Synology NAS for all our files and using our computers as thin-clients (more or less) now so having a cloud backup program running on my NAS is a must. When I ran Crashplan local to my computer it ran great but the lack of supporting network shares for backups makes it a deal beaker. Crashplan is not supported by Synology but rather a 3rd party developer and I am tired of it getting broke when Synology pushes OS updates so the search begins for a Synology supported app to backup my files to a cloud service. I have reached out to both Synology and Crashplan and neither are interested in supporting each other (sadly)

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

I use Cloudberry as the software and AWS S3 for cloud storage.  As my TB's of data increased my monthly bill from amazon increased so last month I started using AWS glacier for most data.  This is supposed to to be way cheaper but can take up to 3 days to retrieve.  Awaiting for next bill from Amazon to see the result!

rgreenpc

I just came across this thread man it would stink to upload my Terabytes of movies but seems a lot cheaper than running a 2nd and/or 3rd backup locally

Poppapete

I use Cloudberry as the software and AWS S3 for cloud storage.  As my TB's of data increased my monthly bill from amazon increased so last month I started using AWS glacier for most data.  This is supposed to to be way cheaper but can take up to 3 days to retrieve.  Awaiting for next bill from Amazon to see the result!

So the next Bill arrived from Amazon AWS.

$5

Previous Bills

$25 May

$27 June

$32 July

So Amazon said glacier would reduce my bill buy at least a fifth and they seem to be correct.

Now I will try and retrieve a file from glacier and report back.

• Like 1

Poppapete

Reporting back. September account only $5 too.  I retrieved a small xls file from glacier.  I had 6 versions to choose from and cloudberry said it could take a few hours.  The file appeared on my desktop within 15 minutes.

• Like 1