RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

Backblaze Cloud Storage

JackoUK

Backblaze's unlimited option is beginning to look attractive as I count up the number of HDD's I have.

Has anyone tried the consumer product recently?

How about a CloudDrive connector, is that on the cards yet?

itGeeks

Backblaze's unlimited option is beginning to look attractive as I count up the number of HDD's I have.

Has anyone tried the consumer product recently?

How about a CloudDrive connector, is that on the cards yet?

I have not looked at Backblaze but I am looking for a replacement for Crashplan. What CloudDrive connector are you talking about?

I am looking hard at Amazon CloudDrive becouse Synology supports it for Cloud Sync. https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive

Edited by itGeeks

Drashna Jaelre

What CloudDrive connector are you talking about?

Most likely, he meant StableBit CloudDrive.  At least, that's what i'm assuming. 

If so, supporting the client account stuff is not likely (not a proper API for it), but the B2 storage stuff can definitely be supported, and is "in the queue"

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1225-why-isnt-xyz-provider-available/

itGeeks

Most likely, he meant StableBit CloudDrive.  At least, that's what i'm assuming. 

If so, supporting the client account stuff is not likely (not a proper API for it), but the B2 storage stuff can definitely be supported, and is "in the queue"

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1225-why-isnt-xyz-provider-available/

Interesting, I did not know StableBit had a cloud offering. Any chance you could support NAS devices? Synology 1st please, I will be your first Synology customer if the price is rite  :) I did not see any pricing, Could you provide a link?

Edited by itGeeks

JackoUK

Of course I meant Stablebit CloudDrive ... what other is there ;-) ;-)

The connector is a Windows system driver which makes the cloud storage system look like a local disk, say drive letter S:\ for storage.

The price is already published - $34.95 - at http://stablebit.com/CloudDrive.

I'm expecting commission for my sales effort from DJ ;-)

Synology I think not (not Windows) ... and because amongst other things Backblaze is at the top of the Stablebit queue (in my dreams).

HOWEVER ... I didn't tell you this, misuse at the cost of your own conscience, ... CloudDrive can make a network share look like a cloud storage service = drive letter.

So if you use the client version of Backblaze it will see a drive letter mapped by CloudDrive as a normal disk ... and sync the data to B2.

In theory.

awraynor

I have not looked at Backblaze but I am looking for a replacement for Crashplan. What CloudDrive connector are you talking about?

I am looking hard at Amazon CloudDrive becouse Synology supports it for Cloud Sync. https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive

I bought the QNAP, because I thought it would connect easily with Amazon Cloud Drive. Amazon gave me a year of it for free with a UPS I bought.

I'm probably not smart enough to figure out how it works and don't use it on QNAP.

I do however use SyncBackPro to connect with Amazon Cloud Drive from my desktop PC and it works well.

NetDrive2 also makes an app that can mount Amazon Cloud Drive and others, but not BackBlaze as a local drive.

O-Drive has a connector option that can connect to B2 Drive that is in beta. doesn't appear to connect to the standard BackBlaze consumer product.

I used BackBlaze a few years ago on a discount offer. It is not a resource pig like CrashPlan. It is more set and forget than CrashPlan, so it is lacking

in the granular control, at least at that time. It is often ranked 1st or 2nd along with CrashPlan.  

I like CrashPlan, but when I see it used over 2GB of memory it just aggravates me when other syncing products are using 30-50 MB.

Drashna Jaelre

Interesting, I did not know StableBit had a cloud offering. Any chance you could support NAS devices? Synology 1st please, I will be your first Synology customer if the price is rite  :) I did not see any pricing, Could you provide a link?

Well, it uses other cloud providers to create a disk (not with the content on the provider, but to store the drive data on the provider). 

And it does have a "File Share" provider, so you can store the contents on the Synology at least. 

As for an app for Synology... it's linux based, and that would require essentially a complete rewrite of the product. Though, it's not a bad idea, and I'll flag that for a feature request, at least. 

itGeeks

Well, it uses other cloud providers to create a disk (not with the content on the provider, but to store the drive data on the provider). 

And it does have a "File Share" provider, so you can store the contents on the Synology at least. 

As for an app for Synology... it's linux based, and that would require essentially a complete rewrite of the product. Though, it's not a bad idea, and I'll flag that for a feature request, at least. 

I think I am confused :huh: So your not hosting the backup of our data like Crashplan?

schoondoggy

why are you replacing CrashPlan?

itGeeks

I bought the QNAP, because I thought it would connect easily with Amazon Cloud Drive. Amazon gave me a year of it for free with a UPS I bought.

I'm probably not smart enough to figure out how it works and don't use it on QNAP.

I do however use SyncBackPro to connect with Amazon Cloud Drive from my desktop PC and it works well.

NetDrive2 also makes an app that can mount Amazon Cloud Drive and others, but not BackBlaze as a local drive.

O-Drive has a connector option that can connect to B2 Drive that is in beta. doesn't appear to connect to the standard BackBlaze consumer product.

I used BackBlaze a few years ago on a discount offer. It is not a resource pig like CrashPlan. It is more set and forget than CrashPlan, so it is lacking

in the granular control, at least at that time. It is often ranked 1st or 2nd along with CrashPlan.  

I like CrashPlan, but when I see it used over 2GB of memory it just aggravates me when other syncing products are using 30-50 MB.

I am not sure about QNAP but Synology it's very easy to use Amazon Cloud Drive, For 60.00 a year unlimited I am definitely going to try it with there free trial. Like you I believe Crashplan is a hog on memory and I would further add there app is long in the tooth, I really have not seen any change in years and it's not supported on Synology. Looking forward to using a supported app so I don't have to jump threw hoops to get it working not to mention when Synology pushes updates it seems to break Crashplan because its not a supported app.