RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gibster

Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro upgrade experience

gibster

Hi All.

Just thought I'd pass on my upgrade experience in case anyone is sitting on the fence wondering what will happen to their computer if they upgrade with only 2 days to go before the free upgrade offer ends.

I upgraded a Dell Inspiron Laptop at the end of last year and had a bad experience with it. Most programs were broken. I ended up doing a clean install on it and things were great after that.

The two remaining computers I have were running Win 7 Pro. I cloned the OS Drives on both computers, updated their bios to the latest versions. I downloaded the latest Win 10 iso from Microsoft and created a bootable USB drive.

The first computer to be upgraded (my wife's) is a Dell Inspiron One 2320, all in one computer. 2 TB Seagate SSHD, 6 GB Ram, Core i3 processor, touch screen monitor. This upgrade went flawlessly and took about 90 minutes. The only issues with this computer were some of the Dell legacy programs didn't work, specifically Dell Stage (whatever that is :)

The second computer is my workstation. A homebuild with ASUS VI GENE motherboard, Core i7-4770 processor, 32 GB Ram, 256 GB Samsung 84 Pro SSD, 2 x 3 TB HGST NAS hard drives, and 1 Seagate 2 TB drive. This upgrade took just under 60 minutes and I did have a couple of issues with software this time. BitDefender 2016 quit working and had to be reinstalled. AnyDVDHD also had issues, it couldn't find my Pioneer BlueRay burner for some reason, but a reinstall solved this issue also.

The only thing I didn't like about the upgrade is Win Gadgets went away, and so did the Classic Windows Games. This was solved by downloading and installing 8GadgetPackSetup.msi and I now have my CPU and weather Gadgets back. I also downloaded and installed Win7Games4Win10 from winaero.com and now have the classic games back without all the advertising and weird look of the new win10 versions.

So, I would guess overall this was a very very good experience with two very different computers. I have to say that Microsoft really got their act together on this one.

I was very apprehensive about upgrading the Dell, but I realized that all the issues with the upgrades, and fresh installs that I found with Google Searches were all from before October last year. So I figured chances were good things would be OK. And I figured with Cloning both systems drives the worst that would happen would be a drive swap to get things back the way they were before the upgrade.

Cheers

gib

itGeeks

Hi All.

Just thought I'd pass on my upgrade experience in case anyone is sitting on the fence wondering what will happen to their computer if they upgrade with only 2 days to go before the free upgrade offer ends.

I upgraded a Dell Inspiron Laptop at the end of last year and had a bad experience with it. Most programs were broken. I ended up doing a clean install on it and things were great after that.

The two remaining computers I have were running Win 7 Pro. I cloned the OS Drives on both computers, updated their bios to the latest versions. I downloaded the latest Win 10 iso from Microsoft and created a bootable USB drive.

The first computer to be upgraded (my wife's) is a Dell Inspiron One 2320, all in one computer. 2 TB Seagate SSHD, 6 GB Ram, Core i3 processor, touch screen monitor. This upgrade went flawlessly and took about 90 minutes. The only issues with this computer were some of the Dell legacy programs didn't work, specifically Dell Stage (whatever that is :)

The second computer is my workstation. A homebuild with ASUS VI GENE motherboard, Core i7-4770 processor, 32 GB Ram, 256 GB Samsung 84 Pro SSD, 2 x 3 TB HGST NAS hard drives, and 1 Seagate 2 TB drive. This upgrade took just under 60 minutes and I did have a couple of issues with software this time. BitDefender 2016 quit working and had to be reinstalled. AnyDVDHD also had issues, it couldn't find my Pioneer BlueRay burner for some reason, but a reinstall solved this issue also.

The only thing I didn't like about the upgrade is Win Gadgets went away, and so did the Classic Windows Games. This was solved by downloading and installing 8GadgetPackSetup.msi and I now have my CPU and weather Gadgets back. I also downloaded and installed Win7Games4Win10 from winaero.com and now have the classic games back without all the advertising and weird look of the new win10 versions.

So, I would guess overall this was a very very good experience with two very different computers. I have to say that Microsoft really got their act together on this one.

I was very apprehensive about upgrading the Dell, but I realized that all the issues with the upgrades, and fresh installs that I found with Google Searches were all from before October last year. So I figured chances were good things would be OK. And I figured with Cloning both systems drives the worst that would happen would be a drive swap to get things back the way they were before the upgrade.

Cheers

gib

Thanks for sharing. I am personally allergic to in-place upgrades I guess I am old school, I know Microsoft is getting much better at it but old habits are hard to break. I also agree with you about Microsoft having there act together on this one, Now we have to ask ourselfs is it because they are continuing there DNA by making every other version good or should we take our hats off to the new CEO and say this is the new Microsoft? Personally I am glad Steve B is gone, He should of been let go a long time ago in my opinion. Windows 10 is the very best that has come out of Redmond in a very long time. Ya for us!

schoondoggy

You can do a bare metal of Win 10 with a Win 7 or 8 key.

Big Worm

I have lost count on how many in place upgrades I have done.  Microsoft finally has this nailed!  It works amazing!

• Like 1

itGeeks

I have lost count on how many in place upgrades I have done.  Microsoft finally has this nailed!  It works amazing!

I can't agree with you enough, Yes they have it nailed and it only took many decades to get there. It's just old habits are hard to break ^_^ Hats off to the new CEO and the new Microsoft, They are now a consumer oriented/focused company once again and most of all they listen to the customer now and give us what we want not what they think we need. I have been on the Microsoft wave since DOS/windows 3.0 and I have to tell you I think this is the most exciting Windows that has come out of Redmond since Windows XP 

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

Correct 'now' you can but when Windows 10 was first out to us you could not use the Win 7/8/8.1 keys to install Windows 10 clean, We needed to do an in place upgrade then activate Windows 10 then we could blow away Windows 10 and do a clean install. Just to be clear when I was talking bare-metal I was talking backup/restore after all apps where installed and setup. I can't wait for the day when Windows supports this type of bare-metal restore much in the way Android does when you get a new phone then all we have to backup user documents/pictures/music/Ect. Now that would be amazing!

Edited by itGeeks

gibster

Hi Kevin.

I was aware of this, but a bare metal install of any OS is a pain when you have so many applications to reinstall. I lost a couple of things I use, mainly WMC which I knew was going to happen. 

I think I decided to try the upgrade to see if it would work, and if it would speed up the computer, which it has. I will probably do a fresh install down the road. This always helps to clear away all the clutter that has grown on the computer over time. But for now it's operating just how I like it. Only thing disappointing is loosing the Aero look, and WMC. 

schoondoggy

You are right, the upgrade is perfect when you have apps that you want to stay in place. I seem to be running into clean install opportunities and it is nice to be able to load 10 with a 7 or 8 license.

• Like 1

itGeeks

Hi Kevin.

I was aware of this, but a bare metal install of any OS is a pain when you have so many applications to reinstall. I lost a couple of things I use, mainly WMC which I knew was going to happen. 

I think I decided to try the upgrade to see if it would work, and if it would speed up the computer, which it has. I will probably do a fresh install down the road. This always helps to clear away all the clutter that has grown on the computer over time. But for now it's operating just how I like it. Only thing disappointing is loosing the Aero look, and WMC. 

gibster, I know it's hard to let old friends go so I want to try and help you out. Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself so make sure you have a backup/clone of your system including making a 'restore point' though I believe you will be fine as the info I am about to provide comes from a reputable source - How-To Geek. There seems to be a way to install 'Media Center' on Windows 10 though unsupported by Microsoft,  Have a look at this and let us know how it goes please http://www.howtogeek.com/258695/how-to-install-windows-media-center-on-windows-10/

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

You are right, the upgrade is perfect when you have apps that you want to stay in place. I seem to be running into clean install opportunities and it is nice to be able to load 10 with a 7 or 8 license.

Yes it was, I say was because the ability to use Windows 7/8/8.1 keys ends today with the free upgrade offer. :(