RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Max HDD size using B120i or Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

TomP

What is the HDD size limit?

What is the max. sensible HDD power consumption?

Is there a difference between B120i RAID and Storage spaces?

..or should I consider using DrivePool?

Thanks in advance

Edited by TomP

The MS Gen8 does not have a UEFI BIOS so the only limit is a 2TB drive/partition for the OS. Technically there is no limit on drive size, although some have reported issues with 8TB WD drives only working with the B120i, not AHCI.

The B120i is a firmware based RAID using the Intel SATA controller on the motherboard. It supports RAID 0-1-10 for OS's that are supported on the MS G8. Storage Spaces is a drive pooling technology built into Windows. If you determine that drive pooling is the route you would like to take I would recommend using Drive Pool.

• Like 1

Thanks !!

Would I be right in understanding that DrivePool is the only one of the three that allows me to remove a drive and read it on a regular windows PC? For me, that is the clincher having lost array access on all my previous servers (Linux & WHS v1)

Also a question about partition size - I have managed to insert blank 4TB HDs into my N40L WHS2011 server (which I believe also has not got  an EFI BIOS) and it allowed me to format them as single 4TB partitions, so what would stop me doing so on the G8?

I have use both Storage Spaces and DrivePool (I currently use DrivePool)

Storage Spaces is an unmitigated disaster and I have no idea what on earth MS were thinking. It's not dynamic - if you have 4 drives in the pool and get low on space, when you add the 5th drive, it doesn't reallocate the data evenly across the drives. It's just pants.

You can't pull a drive and read it elsewhere.

Also, write performance is dreadful. Not such an issue if you are just storing something like media on it for playback.

DrivePool on the other hand is great. You can put redundancy just on particular folders if you like, or the whole drive. You can pull any drive and read it in another system. Performance is great. And in conjunction with StableBit Drive Scanner it's a great suite.

You can use 4Tb drives just fine (I have 4 x 4Tb in mine) but just use something in the ODD for your OS (I have a 250Gb SSD)

Thanks psykix,

How did you format the 4TB drives (given the 2TB limitation schoondoggy mentioned above) and what OS are you using?

I already have a 250GB SSD installed with the OS - Windows 10 in my case.

Edited by TomP

I have use both Storage Spaces and DrivePool (I currently use DrivePool)

Storage Spaces is an unmitigated disaster and I have no idea what on earth MS were thinking. It's not dynamic - if you have 4 drives in the pool and get low on space, when you add the 5th drive, it doesn't reallocate the data evenly across the drives. It's just pants.

You can't pull a drive and read it elsewhere.

Also, write performance is dreadful. Not such an issue if you are just storing something like media on it for playback.

DrivePool on the other hand is great. You can put redundancy just on particular folders if you like, or the whole drive. You can pull any drive and read it in another system. Performance is great. And in conjunction with StableBit Drive Scanner it's a great suite.

You can use 4Tb drives just fine (I have 4 x 4Tb in mine) but just use something in the ODD for your OS (I have a 250Gb SSD)

tnx for this complete information

o.png

Thanks psykix,

How did you format the 4TB drives (given the 2TB limitation schoondoggy mentioned above) and what OS are you using?

I already have a 250GB SSD installed with the OS - Windows 10 in my case.

The 2Tb limit is just for the OS partition. I just formatted them as individual RAID 0 arrays using the B120i raid array tool.

Thanks psykix !! Is there an upper limit to the B120i RAID 0 size, I will probably use 6 TB WD Red drives as the 8 TB version consumes more power and costs a lot more.

I only use 4TB drives at the moment, but am hoping to live within my storage means until 10TB drives become more mainstream and reasonably priced!

You should be fine with 6TB drives.

• 3 years later...
Hello everybody
Need your help
The B120i RAID controller for the Gen 8 microserver
tries the 4x8 TB or not that I have a total of 32 TB