RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

eero setup recommendations

t2clej

Eeros arriving tonight.

For those with eero, can you provide any advice on setup of the eero. I have ethernet in at least 4 rooms and was planning on using those connections. 

I would like to continue to use my router as DHCP, etc and have the eeros as AP unless others think differently. I've read about double NAT and don't know if that will be an issue.

Thanks to all.

If you use your current router for DHCP you can put your eero into bridge mode.  I believe you with lose a lot of the detail in the app though.  Things such as connected devices, family profiles, etc.  

Or you could bridge your current router and use the eero running everything off of that.  Or double NAT by creating a static IP address on your current router and locking your eero to that.  DMZ that port.  Then set-up the eero under a new DHCP address system such as 10.0.0.? etc.  Something different than your current router is using.  I'm double NAT'ing and everything I've read says it may give you a very minor decrease in speed.  

Hook as many eero as you can to your ethernet.  It should speed things up.  

Good luck.

Edited by jomobco

Thanks jomobco. Can you help me with the double NAT? If each eero is hardwired, do i need to assign each of them a static ip? 

Thanks jomobco. Can you help me with the double NAT? If each eero is hardwired, do i need to assign each of them a static ip? 

Explain to me your set-up.  Do you also have a modem?  Or is your first in line router also doing modem work?  And what modem / router mfg and part numbers do you have?

Edited by jomobco

If you use your current router for DHCP you can put your eero into bridge mode.  I believe you with lose a lot of the detail in the app though.  Things such as connected devices, family profiles, etc.  

Or you could bridge your current router and use the eero running everything off of that.  Or double NAT by creating a static IP address on your current router and locking your eero to that.  DMZ that port.  Then set-up the eero under a new DHCP address system such as 10.0.0.? etc.  Something different than your current router is using.  I'm double NAT'ing and everything I've read says it may give you a very minor decrease in speed.  

Hook as many eero as you can to your ethernet.  It should speed things up.  

Good luck.

Problem with separate LAN segments is other connected devices. For example, I have a NAS connected the I use for DLNA streaming as well as remote access for photos, etc. Depending on where you place it (LAN side or router side) you can't get to it internally or remote unless you do port forwarding.

Problem with separate LAN segments is other connected devices. For example, I have a NAS connected the I use for DLNA streaming as well as remote access for photos, etc. Depending on where you place it (LAN side or router side) you can't get to it internally or remote unless you do port forwarding.

True and I have the same issue - 2 NAS, home automation, etc.  My first router allows a DMZ which makes the second routers devices visible.  eero has port forwarding so you just forward what you need if required.  I put a switch behind my home eero and I'm running all items except my web server and my work network of 3 eero behind the home eero thus I can see and use the full functionality of the eero mobile app to set static IPs, see what's on the network etc.  All NAS and home automation are showing up fine both internally and remotely.  Basically my first router has 3 static IP's on it:  eero home, eero work, web server.  Then my eero home has 35 or so items connected to it including the NAS's, home automation, etc.  

And for clarity on the double NAT, my first router runs on 192.168....  my home eero on 10.0.... and my work eero on 172.16... and my web server falls under the first router of 192.168... as well as the outside facing ports of the eero both have static IP's set up in the first router and at addresses under the 192.168...

Edited by jomobco

True and I have the same issue - 2 NAS, home automation, etc.  My first router allows a DMZ which makes the second routers devices visible.  eero has port forwarding so you just forward what you need if required.  I put a switch behind my home eero and I'm running all items except my web server and my work network of 3 eero behind the home eero thus I can see and use the full functionality of the eero mobile app to set static IPs, see what's on the network etc.  All NAS and home automation are showing up fine both internally and remotely.  Basically my first router has 3 static IP's on it:  eero home, eero work, web server.  Then my eero home has 35 or so items connected to it including the NAS's, home automation, etc.  

And for clarity on the double NAT, my first router runs on 192.168....  my home eero on 10.0.... and my work eero on 172.16... and my web server falls under the first router of 192.168... as well as the outside facing ports of the eero both have static IP's set up in the first router and at addresses under the 192.168...

For devices you need remote internet access, do you port forward in the DMZ and eero?

I'm confused on a few eero setups. Here's what my network looks like now:

VZ FiOS TV & Internet -> ActionTec router (has to stay in router mode) -> 8port ethernet switch -> 2 NAS devices that require internet and remote access.

Looking at the port forwarding in the ActionTec the uPNP has the required ports for the NAS to gain remote access. 

I want to use eero and place it in a DMZ I can create on the ActionTec router. That gives me more options locally. But as I understand it a DMZ will not allow remote access to my NAS. I assume it would allow local access. Do I need to use just bridge mode in eero? No other option?

For devices you need remote internet access, do you port forward in the DMZ and eero?

For devices that I need to remote into must hang off the first router.  My Synology NAS cloud sync, DS File, etc work fine remotely.   To remote in behind 2 routers is prohibitive I believe.  

I'm confused on a few eero setups. Here's what my network looks like now:

VZ FiOS TV & Internet -> ActionTec router (has to stay in router mode) -> 8port ethernet switch -> 2 NAS devices that require internet and remote access.

Looking at the port forwarding in the ActionTec the uPNP has the required ports for the NAS to gain remote access. 

I want to use eero and place it in a DMZ I can create on the ActionTec router. That gives me more options locally. But as I understand it a DMZ will not allow remote access to my NAS. I assume it would allow local access. Do I need to use just bridge mode in eero? No other option?

I locked the main eero to a static IP and then pointed the DMZ to that since eero has a firewall.  For your NAS it would depend if you want to use it's apps or remote in via VPN.  Apps should work off the eero.  VPN may not, not sure.  Someone smarter than me may chime in.  Bridge would be easiest.  I just didn't want to lose the functions of the eero app which I think will happen if you bridge it.  

For devices that I need to remote into must hang off the first router.  My Synology NAS cloud sync, DS File, etc work fine remotely.   To remote in behind 2 routers is prohibitive I believe.  

I locked the main eero to a static IP and then pointed the DMZ to that since eero has a firewall.  For your NAS it would depend if you want to use it's apps or remote in via VPN.  Apps should work off the eero.  VPN may not, not sure.  Someone smarter than me may chime in.  Bridge would be easiest.  I just didn't want to lose the functions of the eero app which I think will happen if you bridge it.  

Thanks for that. EERO support responded back to me that they don't (yet) support DMZ. Amazing.