RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
aknotsdeath

Whole home network

aknotsdeath

I am not sure sure where to post this but since my focus is video games seemed like a good spot. I am currently working on having a house built and plan on having a server room. I want to put all our computers on a rack in one room and only have monitors and peripheral outside of the room. Last time I did any networking was before 2000. So I have a lot of catch up. So I am looking for check lists and conversations around the idea. Also the network will be doing video security whole home automation and regular burglar security. Basically an everything under the sun set up. Budget is an issue. So looking at all aspects. Plus also looking for the little fun little extra touches stuff as well.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

jsox

If I was building a house from scratch I'd put at least one CAT6 home run from the server room into every room of the house. Maybe not the bathrooms. Two home runs if you could afford it. More than two if you are going to have things that you know will consume hardwired ports as part of the planning. Office with desktop (or laptop docking station). But at least two so you could home-run a wireless access point in any room and still have a hardwired port for things that won't move around. Keep the network as flat as possible. Only one main switch if you can manage it. Plan for at least two wireless networks, maybe three. One for your main network. One for your IOT things. One for a Guest network.

No PCs outside the server room? Quality remote KVM setups for desktops will be expensive, probably very expensive. I'd give up on that idea right away.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

If I was building a house from scratch I'd put at least one CAT6 home run from the server room into every room of the house. Maybe not the bathrooms. Two home runs if you could afford it. 

Actually, I'd say a minimum of 2 CAT6 outlets in each room. Specifically for the remote/network KVM setup. 

No PCs outside the server room? Quality remote KVM setups for desktops will be expensive, probably very expensive. I'd give up on that idea right away.

Yup, Just looking into it quickly, this is going to cost you $200+ PER system.  That's a low end ballpark too. Probably closer to $500 if you want good quality...

What I'd really recommend is small boxes (like the Kangaroo PC stuff, or Intel NUCs), use these as HTPC or the like.  And set up a single (or couple) of nigher end PCs and use Steam Streaming.

Otherwise, build a nice, small-ish gaming PC, and move that around as necessary. 

The *other* alternative is RemoteFX, which should allow gaming. But ... man, that's EXPENSIVE (requires Server Standard/Datacenter, RDP CALs, good hardware, and would be close to $5000 starting, between all the costs)

cskenney

I agree on the CAT6 home run  back to a central room.  I did this to my home when I moved in.  The basement was unfinished and I was able to run cables for most of the 1st floor.  Unfortunately I now know I needed more and I need some in different places.  I was unable to run anything to the 2nd floor because the house was already finished.  If you plan ahead during the construction process the builder can include the needed wire chases and provisions for all the wiring.  If you start doing 2 CAT6 for every room and home run them back to central location then you will end up with a pretty large bundle of wires.

Some other thoughts on wiring.  You may want to think about including boxes and CAT6 wiring to either some ceiling boxes or wall boxes that are near the ceiling.  These would be to mount a WAP to provide blanket coverage for that floor.  If you aren't sure if you would ever use it or don't want the ugly wall plate that would be in place until it was used you could always just leave the wire buried in the wall (ceiling) and only cut the opening if you go to use it.  Of course you have to know where the wire is located to find it later.

aknotsdeath

Let me toss a little more info real quick I currently have 2 desktops that I built I am a gamer and streamer. And when I say a budget I mean under 5k ish

aknotsdeath

And so far I follow on the 2 cat 6 per room. It will be a 1 story house at about 2225 square feet give or take 225. And I was thinking about a thunderbolt setup and run that at the same time. Again been a long time. I love the idea of a ceiling port in a few rooms as well. At least where media is and where the bedroom is. And for the desktop PCS I don't want any part of it wireless. Not for my type of use. And we have probably 10+ wireless devices on the network at least.

And time frame will be about a year so I know prices will come down some.

schoondoggy

I would use Cat 6a or Cat 7 to be capable of running 10GbE-T. As others have said, two per room. for a home theater area, I would run four to six cables. I agree with ceiling boxes for WAP's, but there are also wall boxes that give you a small WAP and switch ports:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-wall/

For home automation, I would look at installing smart switches and smart outlets during the build.

aknotsdeath

Outlets and switches are easy before or after the home is built but I was planning on upgrading them all to smart ones depending on cost. And sorry when I say a budget I mean 5 do 10k added to the cost of the house. Maybe more if I can get creative.

aknotsdeath

I would use Cat 6a or Cat 7 to be capable of running 10GbE-T. As others have said, two per room. for a home theater area, I would run four to six cables. I agree with ceiling boxes for WAP's, but there are also wall boxes that give you a small WAP and switch ports:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-wall/

For home automation, I would look at installing smart switches and smart outlets during the build.

Ohh I love that. Thank you for that link.

Poppapete

I paid for a guy to wire my house 18 months ago and asked for one Cat 6 in all living areas.  He suggested 3 in each room (and more in my office). He also explained that the extra cost was minimal (10%). In nearly all locations I am using all 3 connections.

• Like 1