RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Must Have Apps for Synology NAS

mattd390

I recently bought a DS216J and wondered if anyone had recommendations of some must have apps for a Synology NAS?  Any recommendations of apps to stay away from?  

That is a "j" unit so you don't want to go overboard with the apps.  One that I find very useful is Cloud Sync. I have mine sync with Dropbox and OneDrive.  Also, use the backup apps.  I backup several PC's to mine.  I don't bother with bare metal anymore and simply backup the data folders.  Try some of the apps from Synology that have mobile and Roku apps.  DS Video, etc.

That is a "j" unit so you don't want to go overboard with the apps.  One that I find very useful is Cloud Sync. I have mine sync with Dropbox and OneDrive.  Also, use the backup apps.  I backup several PC's to mine.  I don't bother with bare metal anymore and simply backup the data folders.  Try some of the apps from Synology that have mobile and Roku apps.  DS Video, etc.

Thanks for the feedback, Dave!  I was also concerned about overloading the NAS due to it's baseline specs.  I have been toying with Cloud Sync to backup my newborn son's pics to Amazon's cloud (free and unlimited for Prime members) too.  I think that alone justifies the money I spent on the NAS.  I will definitely try DS Video, too.  I think it will work ok if trans coding of the video isn't needed. 

itGeeks

Grate advice Dave. Your not doing bare metal backup anymore? I understand the data is most important but what about the time it takes to reinstall and tweak applications? I only ask because maybe I can learn from your way of doing things. I use 'Veeam Endpoint backup free' to do bare metal backups all my computers to Synology and it works great and in the advent I get a total crash I can restore right back like it never happen. If the OP is interested in Veeam here is the link https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Question to mattd390 could you provide a link to the Amazon free service your using for backups?

Is Synology Cloud Sync working OK with the Amazon service?

Grate advice Dave. Your not doing bare metal backup anymore? I understand the data is most important but what about the time it takes to reinstall and tweak applications? I only ask because maybe I can learn from your way of doing things. I use 'Veeam Endpoint backup free' to do bare metal backups all my computers to Synology and it works great and in the advent I get a total crash I can restore right back like it never happen. If the OP is interested in Veeam here is the link https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Question to mattd390 could you provide a link to the Amazon free service your using for backups?

Is Synology Cloud Sync working OK with the Amazon service?

Thanks for the link for Veeam!  Here is the link you requested: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/primephotos

Yes, I synced it once to test it and my photos were uploaded ok.  I am currently organizing them before I do a full sync.  I believe there may be some stipulations to the photo type and video sizes with the unlimited backup (of course..).  

itGeeks

Thanks for the link for Veeam!  Here is the link you requested: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/primephotos

Yes, I synced it once to test it and my photos were uploaded ok.  I am currently organizing them before I do a full sync.  I believe there may be some stipulations to the photo type and video sizes with the unlimited backup (of course..).  

Thanks for the link and the info.