RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Whine noise at low CPU usage?

osarus

Hi,

Just purchased my MS8 and I'm getting a horrible high pitch noise when in Intelligent Provisioning or in linux using low CPU(most of the time) , if i load up the cpu to 25+% it goes away.

I can easily hear it 30 meters away. Sitting next to it makes me want to pull out my eyeballs.

I'm guessing mine is just "special" because I'm so lucky, has anyone else noticed something like this?

Nope, but the years of full volume heavy metal or hard rock music blasting against my eardrums, really made me a little insensitive to high pitched beeps. But the wife doesn't complain so I must be beep free.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Have any of you noticed that it's not the 120mm inlet fan, but the tiny fan in the PSU that's making the whiney high-pitched noise! At least for me it is. For long I used to think it was caused by 2 old harddrives I had in the 4-bay, but alas, after replacing them with new silent 6TB ones, it turns out it was the power supply all along! That's bad, since I'm good at ghetto-mods, but destroying the unit-specific PSU is not what I was aiming for. I run production material on the server (debian 8), and it can't be offline for more than a couple of hours late at night.