RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming VIDEO_TS based movies?

BigSpenderNOT

Hi guys,

It's funny that all my post topics are gripes of some sort or another (last one being how iTunes and Media Center music collections do not match up... which I still haven't figured out). Here's the latest gripe I'd like to see other users comments on...

OK, I've got a home-built WHS with a lot of storage for my DVD collection (which I like to keep at DVD quality). I did a bunch of research when first starting to convert my collection and decided upon using the VIDEO_TS folder structure (as opposed to ISO). That way I can have a perfect match to the original DVD and My Movies and Media Center seem to be perfectly fine with the format (no need for some other piece of software to mount the ISO image if I were to have gone down that path, you know?).

So, of course, now I have all these VIDEO_TS folders on my WHS, a computer running Media Center at every TV in my house (3) and would like to be able to maybe stream these to a mobile device... I've long since relegated myself to the fact that the XBox-360 COULD have been the PERFECT media center extender, but Microsoft neuters the VIDEO_TS capabilities from the XBox Media Center (Eff you MS for doing that, by the way). What an asinine thing to do. I know, I know... "DRM", "not supposed to copy DVDs", blah, blah, blah. Anyways, that's not the point of this post. :)

I'm not a developer, so I'd like to know, is it HARD to transcode a proper movie out of VIDEO_TS folders on the fly?! Handbrake seems to be able to do this fairly easily (of course, I know Handbrake just converts the video to another format, but it can find the MAIN video easily enough by looking at the VIDEO_TS folders). The guys were talking about AirVideo just the other podcast and I got a little excited, so I went out and looked... and of course, no effing support for VIDEO_TS folders. Every time I hear of something that may possibly FINALLY be what i am looking for, it's the same ol', same ol'. What is the deal? I'm not asking for full DVD functionality here. I'm fine with just being able to even play the movie. But that seems to be impossible! Why can't I find just ONE streaming video player app that can do this seemingly simple task? Am I just missing something? Is it really the "DRM", "not supposed to copy DVDs", blah, blah, blah thing? Really?! Does anyone else find this ENORMOUSLY frustrating? I don't want to redo my entire collection. I don't want two or three copies of EVERY movie on my server. Please, somebody tell me I am totally missing something here and there is an app out there that can do this for me. It doesn't even have to be free. I would GLADLY pay for a nice streaming app that could do this once and for all.

Thanks for bearing with me and reading this. I just couldn't contain it today!

In short, yes I do. The line between streaming to mobile is pretty destinctive. To the best of my knowlege, the only container that streams to almost every platform (and not flawlessly) is MKV. It will work on some media streamers, HTPC, Air Video and other devices. The container has been fairly problematic so I would not go convert your collection yet but I would give a shot on some test files. I have choosen not to go that have stuck with folder structures for a variety of reasons but since everyone is different and has different equipment, it does not hurt to give it a shot. ON e the upside, MKV supported by SD DVD as well as BD DVD. I feel your pain.

Just no native support for MKV in Media Center, or most popular portable players, or most game consoles, or most DLNA devices.

Have to agree with usacomp2k3, I have had a pretty bad time with MKV support, mostly with Win 7 Media Center with Xbox360 extenders. Of course they don't work on my Zune or the rest of the family's iPods either. Great for standalone play directly on the PC, but has not yet lived up to the formats' potential yet. It has a ton of features, and definitely seems to be the way to go when it has matured a bit and sees more device support. A great container that you can't use on much of anything turns out to be not so great. Just my 2 cents...

There is no native support in media center but if you are running TMT or other codec is at least supported. Don't get me wrong, I do not like MKV either but they are the closest thing to a univesal container that we have so far. Although it is much better now, I have been around the block with MKV whcih is why I opted to stick with folder structures, however if your requirement is mobile and local streaming of both SD and HD, the choice are very very slim...

Please, somebody tell me I am totally missing something here and there is an app out there that can do this for me. It doesn't even have to be free. I would GLADLY pay for a nice streaming app that could do this once and for all.

I feel your pain! My "solution" is far, far, far, far from perfect...but I connect a SlingBox to my Media Center and have the SlingPlayer app for my iPhone....I can stream anything that can be viewed in Media Center on my iPhone.

(my DVDs are stored in VIDEO_TS as well)

Thanks for the interesting replies guys... I decided a while ago to stay away from MKV and it looks like that is still a good decision. Until something becomes THE standard, I've gotta stick with VIDEO_TS at this point.

You know, a while back I saw a deal for a SlingBox and looked into it and thought to myself, "maybe this is what I've been looking for..."

If you have a few minutes, byronomo, here are a few questions that I have about that solution:

1. How does the SlingBox app play the movies within the VIDEO_TS folder structure? Like a DVD with menus and all? Or does it just figure out where the movie is and play that only?
  2. What about subtitles and different audio tracks?
  3. I would assume it plays recorded video from Win 7 Media Center without any converting on your part?
  4. Does the SlingBox connect to your WHS video files easily?

If I knew that the SlingBox would be a fully functional solution for this problem I would seriously consider ponying up the dough for one!

All slingbox does is capture the audio/video out of a device. In this case byronomo is just capturing the audio/video out of his Media Center, and thus slingbox will show anything that can be shown in WMC pixel-for-pixel. (w/ compression)

All slingbox does is capture the audio/video out of a device. In this case byronomo is just capturing the audio/video out of his Media Center, and thus slingbox will show anything that can be shown in WMC pixel-for-pixel. (w/ compression)

I think I must be missing something with this thread. I also store my DVDs in the VIDEO_TS folders on my server. The play fine on my Win7 machines with Media Center. I stream to my iPhone using OrbLive (connected to a PC at home with the software loaded that transcodes). Where is the issue here? Just XBOX 360?

Keith

I think I must be missing something with this thread. I also store my DVDs in the VIDEO_TS folders on my server. The play fine on my Win7 machines with Media Center. I stream to my iPhone using OrbLive (connected to a PC at home with the software loaded that transcodes). Where is the issue here? Just XBOX 360?

Keith

I've given up on XBOX 360, I just threw that in because I think it stinks that it's a neutered Media Center Extender... I guess that just muddied up the waters... sorry about that. I have 3 machines running Win 7 Media Center and that setup works fairly well.

I didn't know that the OrbLive app worked with VIDEO_TS folders... if it does, and you use it, can you answer the same questions for OrbLive that I originally posted above in regards to the SlingBox app? (thanks USAComp for the clarification in regards to what a SlingBox exactly does)