RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma - First update slated for July 26 2016

itGeeks

I've got circle so if you have any questions holler.

I have it too and so does Dave.

Ask questions in a new topic though.

I received an email from Luma support a few minutes ago that my devices have been updated.

I am not at home to test anything out, and when I open the iOS app, I don't see anything different, and I don't see any of the supposed "advanced" menu options. 

Anyone else get an update? Do you see any difference? Just curious.

On a side note, I have a weather station that feeds data to Weather Underground and I get email from them when my station goes offline. I was surprised to see that my station was offline yesterday for about 4 hours and did not come back online until 1AM PST. Could be that an update and reboot in the early AM hours brought it back online. Kind of strange though. I really don't like that there is ZERO logging on the Luma device to see what happened at a given time.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how many are still interested but I thought it would be worthy of posting, I have finally got the long awaited Luma update on my Android devices that unlocks the advanced settings for some of the features they promised though I have not played with any of the advanced settings because I am not as excited about Luma as I used to be so hence I have my sights on other products from some of the heavy weights that are coming out with competing products from the likes of Ubiquity AmpliFi top performer at this time https://www.amplifi.com/ and now the new Netgear Orbi that by spec may beat out AmpliFi in performance https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/orbi/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

A quick look at the advanced settings we can now setup static DHCP. Setup port forwarding, Use UPnP and IGMP, General stability improvements and bug fixes. There still is no viability into our networks and we can't rename our devices are change the sub-net from 192.168.55.x to our own or use Luma in 'bridge mode'

Edited by itGeeks

Hello all,

ITGeeks is correct, the firmware and device app updates have been released.  I'll admit I'm curious by the few additions we did receive though. The ability to assign a the fourth octet of the IP to connected device is... Nice, I guess?  I'd prefer to have complet control over the IP Scheme of my network, but that's just me. The port forwarding option is similarly limited; while you can specify ports or ranges, you cannot specify TCP or UDP.  Being able to toggle uPnP is nice, and I think it's a solid foundational addition but IGMP Snooping?  Really?  It's a curious addition to such a critical update, I wasn't aware a multicasting feature was in such demand.  I guess I was hoping for something more substantial from them.. 

I'm not sure if any of you have noticed but Luma is getting savaged in the reviews on Amazon ever since they opened it up to the public; the only thing buoying the rating are those early shill posts.

I'm curious about the opinion of those who have stuck around...

Edited by Jericho

Hello all,

ITGeeks is correct, the firmware and device app updates have been released.  I'll admit I'm curious by the few additions we did receive though. The ability to assign a the fourth octet of the IP to connected device is... Nice, I guess?  I'd prefer to have complet control over the IP Scheme of my network, but that's just me. The port forwarding option is similarly limited; while you can specify ports or ranges, you cannot specify TCP or UDP.  Being able to toggle uPnP is nice, and I think it's a solid foundational addition but IGMP Snooping?  Really?  It's a curious addition to such a critical update, I wasn't aware a multicasting feature was in such demand.  I guess I was hoping for something more substantial from them.. 

I'm not sure if any of you have noticed but Luma is getting savaged in the reviews on Amazon ever since they opened it up to the public; the only thing buoying the rating are those early shill posts.

I'm curious about the opinion of those who have stuck around...

Jericho nice to see you, You been awfully quiet around here. Did you every get any beta software from then that you could not talk about because you where under NDA? I got the same deal but never beta tested anything I did however agree to keep Luma a bit longer but can't talk about the details of that agreement under NDA. As for being under whelmed with the update I am with you, As for IGMP that will be important for people with IPTV and want to change there router out in favor of Luma.

Edited by itGeeks

Unfortunately the update came just a couple of days too late for me as I hit the end of my return window and didn't get to try it. My package is already on its way to Luma for a refund.

• Like 1