RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma - First update slated for July 26 2016

itGeeks

Here is what we can expect with the first update According to forum member boats4chris post #4 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11415-luma-dhcp-issues-wtivo/#entry118902

"We have an application update coming by the end of the month which will allow you to set Proxy Servers, Static Ip, Port Forwarding and resolve some compatibility bugs involving more unique types of connected devices, such as TIVO devices. It is supposed to be available in just a week or so. This will be the update you need to set advanced configuration options"

This all sounds very exciting and will be the update that I am waiting for to see if I want to continue with Luma going forward.

Edited by HSS-Dave

Agreed.  I'm holding out for the update and if it doesn't show me something significant I'll be moving over to eero.  Unfortunately, since I have no way to view firmware versions I'll have to hope they release something acknowledging that it's taken place.

Agreed.  I'm holding out for the update and if it doesn't show me something significant I'll be moving over to eero.  Unfortunately, since I have no way to view firmware versions I'll have to hope they release something acknowledging that it's taken place.

If nothing else you will know by going into the Luma app on Android/iOS and if there is an advanced menu with port forwarding, Ect. then you have been updated. I am checking daily from now till the update hits and I will be sure to post as soon as I have it so stay tuned to this thread.

Edited by itGeeks

Maybe I'll hold of returning this piece of #@$#$     I ordered in early March....Amazon has not date for delivery, but that is another sore topic.

I work IT support in my daily job, I have 2 HD homerun primes, a Meraki VPN, a home server, and 20+ connected devices on my network (just trying give background that I'm not an average user, but who is on this forum).   Yet I have struggled to get the Luma's working.   I've worked with support a little, but they should be just plug and play.   Plug directly into your Modem and poof...nothing.   I have tried multiple setups, nothing.   I tried to work with support over email.  Best they could do was to have me log out and log back into the application on my iPhone.   After a week of not doing anything..... I tried again...it went fairly smooth.   Except that after it started the wifi, the app said it was the previously attempted network name and password.   So I logged out and back in, new network and old password were there.   So they have work to do on the backend still.   

I attempted to setup a 2nd luma, but after trying 4 times in various locations (standing 2 feet from it).  I gave up and started to pack up the Lums to return to Best Buy (since I have 45 days to return it).   

But this update gives me some hope.... that maybe, just maybe it might work better after the update

Has anyone else had a horrible time setting these simple things up?

• Like 1

Maybe I'll hold of returning this piece of #@$#$     I ordered in early March....Amazon has not date for delivery, but that is another sore topic.

I work IT support in my daily job, I have 2 HD homerun primes, a Meraki VPN, a home server, and 20+ connected devices on my network (just trying give background that I'm not an average user, but who is on this forum).   Yet I have struggled to get the Luma's working.   I've worked with support a little, but they should be just plug and play.   Plug directly into your Modem and poof...nothing.   I have tried multiple setups, nothing.   I tried to work with support over email.  Best they could do was to have me log out and log back into the application on my iPhone.   After a week of not doing anything..... I tried again...it went fairly smooth.   Except that after it started the wifi, the app said it was the previously attempted network name and password.   So I logged out and back in, new network and old password were there.   So they have work to do on the backend still.   

I attempted to setup a 2nd luma, but after trying 4 times in various locations (standing 2 feet from it).  I gave up and started to pack up the Lums to return to Best Buy (since I have 45 days to return it).   

But this update gives me some hope.... that maybe, just maybe it might work better after the update

Has anyone else had a horrible time setting these simple things up?

I did have a problem when first trying to setup Luma, Turned out they had a problem with the Samsung Note 4. After several attempts to get the first Luma setup I decided to try a Samsung tablet and it went very smooth, According to Luma they have fixed the problem with Samsung Note 4.

When you say you plugged the first one into you modem and poof nothing could you tell me what you mean by that?

What is the make and model of your modem?

Is it a router/modem combo or just a modem?

When you connected the first Luma to your modem's LAN port you did connect that to the "IN Port" on Luma and not the 'out port' correct?

Is the 'out port' on the first Luma you setup connected to anything?

Did the light ring in the center light up and if yes what color was it and was it steady of flashing?

Whats going on when you try to setup the 2nd Luma?

Are you trying to setup the 2nd Luma using 'wireless mesh' or using 'Ethernet backhaul'?

Edited by itGeeks

I did have a problem when first trying to setup Luma, Turned out they had a problem with the Samsung Note 4. After several attempts to get the first Luma setup I decided to try a Samsung tablet and it went very smooth, According to Luma they have fixed the problem with Samsung Note 4.

When you say you plugged the first one into you modem and poof nothing could you tell me what you mean by that?

What is the make and model of your modem?

Is it a router/modem combo or just a modem?

When you connected the first Luma to your modem's LAN port you did connect that to the "IN Port" on Luma and not the 'out port' correct?

Is the 'out port' on the first Luma you setup connected to anything?

Did the light ring in the center light up and if yes what color was it and was it steady of flashing?

Whats going on when you try to setup the 2nd Luma?

Are you trying to setup the 2nd Luma using 'wireless mesh' or using 'Ethernet backhaul'?

I did initially try with iOS 10 on an iPhone 6s+    Since that was in beta, I then and since then have used my iPad on iOS 9.3.3

First initial try was plugging the LUMA in the IN port to the modem... comcast Arris standard modem with NO wifi.   I had even unplugged my router so it was totally off to prevent any issues.  Luma spun blue....and kept spinning...then went dark.   Tried several more times and nothing worked.  I put my network back together.....and then went downstairs and plugged it into my switch in my entertainment center.....I was surprised when it went solid blue after a minute and the app gave me the START WIFI option, it flashed 11 times vs 8 times it is suppose to do.  I've heard that a lot in forums.   I was happy even though it was not the normal setup.

I then attempted to setup a 2nd luma in the kitchen about 30 feet away (maybe less).   I could never get it to go solid blue.   After a few minutes I went back to the app, setup my user and my sons.  Associated devices to each user (it saw 3 devices).   Then I noticed that it said the network was offline.  So it would never update the information.   Yet the WIFI was working....very odd

I played with it for a few hours and finally gave up...  Tried the next night again and had the same results.  Then it was a busy week at work so I didn't touch Luma.   This last Friday I decided to give it another shot.  I really want this to work.   I have dropcam and nextcams that sometimes have issues with my current wifi.    I unplugged the router (power) and disconnected the WAN cable from the modem, I turned off the modem and connected the cable from the modem to Luma (in).    Since the Comcast modem also has voice, Luma times out (stops blue spinning) before the modem is fully up and running.

So I got the modem fully operational I logged back into the Luma app.    No network was configured, went through the network setup (network CheesePlease), plugged in the Luma and it started to spin blue, after a couple of minutes it went solid blue....so happy......and then it went dark, no green, no flashing green, nothing.   App said nothing new...just said it was looking for the luma still.

WIFI was working....new network name was live....but the password I setup was not working.  So I closed out of the app, opened it back up...it said CheesePlease  was live, but it has the password I had setup with the previous test (very odd).  I changed the password to the new password and it worked fine.  Hey it was working.    So I went down stairs....tried to add another Luma.... same as previous test....just stops spinning blue.   I've tried  Wired and not wired.   Same results.

So since only the main Luma was working.  I unpluged it....and started to pack the sucker up.  And then I thought I would check out this forum to see if there were any updates from others since the Podcast. 

it is so frustrating, hell if I can't set this sucker up, how is someone that has trouble turning on their computer going to handle this.   Like their website and eero's demonstrates it should be plug and play.

FYI I've tried all 3 Luma's in the testing.....just in case one was bad.

I can pug aside the shipping fiasco, if it worked as promised.

I did initially try with iOS 10 on an iPhone 6s+    Since that was in beta, I then and since then have used my iPad on iOS 9.3.3

First initial try was plugging the LUMA in the IN port to the modem... comcast Arris standard modem with NO wifi.   I had even unplugged my router so it was totally off to prevent any issues.  Luma spun blue....and kept spinning...then went dark.   Tried several more times and nothing worked.  I put my network back together.....and then went downstairs and plugged it into my switch in my entertainment center.....I was surprised when it went solid blue after a minute and the app gave me the START WIFI option, it flashed 11 times vs 8 times it is suppose to do.  I've heard that a lot in forums.   I was happy even though it was not the normal setup.

I then attempted to setup a 2nd luma in the kitchen about 30 feet away (maybe less).   I could never get it to go solid blue.   After a few minutes I went back to the app, setup my user and my sons.  Associated devices to each user (it saw 3 devices).   Then I noticed that it said the network was offline.  So it would never update the information.   Yet the WIFI was working....very odd

I played with it for a few hours and finally gave up...  Tried the next night again and had the same results.  Then it was a busy week at work so I didn't touch Luma.   This last Friday I decided to give it another shot.  I really want this to work.   I have dropcam and nextcams that sometimes have issues with my current wifi.    I unplugged the router (power) and disconnected the WAN cable from the modem, I turned off the modem and connected the cable from the modem to Luma (in).    Since the Comcast modem also has voice, Luma times out (stops blue spinning) before the modem is fully up and running.

So I got the modem fully operational I logged back into the Luma app.    No network was configured, went through the network setup (network CheesePlease), plugged in the Luma and it started to spin blue, after a couple of minutes it went solid blue....so happy......and then it went dark, no green, no flashing green, nothing.   App said nothing new...just said it was looking for the luma still.

WIFI was working....new network name was live....but the password I setup was not working.  So I closed out of the app, opened it back up...it said CheesePlease  was live, but it has the password I had setup with the previous test (very odd).  I changed the password to the new password and it worked fine.  Hey it was working.    So I went down stairs....tried to add another Luma.... same as previous test....just stops spinning blue.   I've tried  Wired and not wired.   Same results.

So since only the main Luma was working.  I unpluged it....and started to pack the sucker up.  And then I thought I would check out this forum to see if there were any updates from others since the Podcast. 

it is so frustrating, hell if I can't set this sucker up, how is someone that has trouble turning on their computer going to handle this.   Like their website and eero's demonstrates it should be plug and play.

FYI I've tried all 3 Luma's in the testing.....just in case one was bad.

I can pug aside the shipping fiasco, if it worked as promised.

I would give Luma a call and let them help get you sorted. When I could not get my Luma setup it ended up being the device I was using for setup, This could also be you trouble or something other. Luma is open today 9am-6pm EST. Please update us on how you made out.

1-800-684-LUMA

Update: Does your phone/tablet have internet at the time of setup? Your phone/tablet needs to have internet before you try setting up each Luma.

http://support.getluma.com/hc/en-us/articles/220933848-What-is-the-luma-setup-network-that-I-am-seeing-during-installation-

Edited by itGeeks

The app does not function without an internet connection.

The app will seem like its functioning and in my case the app went as far as telling me I am all set and showed me a green circle on the app but when I looked at Luma it was still solid blue just FYI, That's y I am bringing this up. Short of that if you know your device had internet when trying to setup Luma then give support a call and let them try to sort you out. Please keep us updated on the outcome.

Here's an update from tech support:

"According to our tier two technicians, the update to add port forwarding is still on track for being pushed out this week. We're not quite sure what day exactly, but it should be soon.

It should be coming as both an over-the-air firmware update to the Lumas and an application update. We have to add the functionality to the Lumas, and add the setting in the app."