RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rgreenpc

Tivo to Plex

rgreenpc

This will seem backwards but this is driven by the wife so hear me out...

My wife would like to limit the number of boxes in each room.

She has decided we are getting AppleTvs for the living room and family room (and probably master bedroom) 

I was considering taking files from tivo via KMTTG ( cutting commercials and red coding as a MP4 to save space )

Has anyone here done anything like this?

My other thought was just hiding boxes and just using a Harmony on each TV to select appropriate HDMI (this would of course be a lot easier) but my wife is wanting a single ecosystem/interface scheme

cskenney

What content are you trying to watch? You still use a TiVo? I stopped when everything went to digital transmission and HD.

awraynor

We cut cable and use Amazon FireTV boxes. Plex, Netflix, Amazon Video and PlayStation Vue and she's happy. 

rgreenpc

I had considered a tablo but we still watch a few cable shows.

I found a program called archivo that will do what I want but it doesn't run as a service.

Awraynor - yeah I had actually looked at PlayStation Vue but data caps have kept me away.

awraynor

I had considered a tablo but we still watch a few cable shows.

I found a program called archivo that will do what I want but it doesn't run as a service.

Awraynor - yeah I had actually looked at PlayStation Vue but data caps have kept me away.

Sigh. Maybe I need to find a way to see how much data Vue actually pulls. The TV runs a reasonable amount with a stay at home wife and two kids out for summer.

Fortunately for now Charter has no caps.