RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Lightning struck my N40L

blaatschaap

So, this morning there was a massive lightning strike near my house which caused a power surge and blew some fuses. After replacing the fuses and powering up all my equipment, I noticed my N40L was no longer powering up (my Samsung television also bit the dust it seems, but that's a story for another forum somewhere). I disassembled the microserver, removing the motherboard and the power supply. Smelling a burn scent on the power supply, I'm reasonably certain that is where my issue is. I am now looking for some advice from the experts here on how to proceed. I'm assuming repairing the power supply is basically impossible, so I'd need a replacement. What's the best and/or most cost effective way to go about this? I'm based in continental Europe (Netherlands), if that's a relevant factor. Thanks in advance for your replies

I have a multimeter, can I diagnose the motherboard with that potentially or is that a long shot/impossible?

That's probably a long shot. The only thing you can do is to remove it from the case and do a detailed ocular inspection. If you see anything burnt, the board's probably done (no pun intended). Then again, the absence of a burnt component doesn't necessary guarantee that it's still ok.

In theory, you should be able to power it up with a standard ATX PSU (which is essentially what the PicoPSU is) to check if it will at least do POST.

That's interesting, I do have access to a disused PC which should have an adequate power supply (should have ATX PSU right?). Are there any specifications the power supply should conform to for compatibility and/or safety reasons?

It has a 24-pin ATX connector. Any 150W+ ATX PSU should suffice. I'd try it without the hard disks or any PCI cards installed first and see if it will POST. Then progress on to bring every component back one by one until it boots up to your OS. When everything appears normal, then it's safe to assume that the old PSU did its job well by taking the hit without damaging anything else.