RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best way to migrate from dead Gen7 with HDDs to Gen 8 with SSDs

js_lon

Hello

Semi-noob questions:

My G7 N54L just died (probably power supply).  What's the best way to move to G8 - and keep the data? (The new server should arrive in the morning!)

G7 - MS Small Business Server 2011 on RAID1 pair of HDDs

Data on another RAID1 pair of 750GB HDDs - presume the data is OK on the drives - want to bring the data over to new server

G8 - Will install WS 2012 Essentials R2 on 1x 256GB SSD

Data will go on a single 1TB SSD

I have 2x 2.5"-3.5" caddy adaptors for the SSDs - so was planning on putting the SSDs into 2 of the 4 bays.

1.  Do I just go AHCI for both the system drive and the data drive as both are single drives?

2.  Or, do I set up RAID1 comprising one of the old 750GB HDDs and the new 1TB SSD so the SSD clones data from the old HDD?

2a.  And then once cloning complete, remove the HDD as this will slow down the SSD?  

2b  Do I then leave the solo SSD data drive as RAID1 with just one drive?  Or do I switch to AHCI?  (does this require conversion)?

3.  Or do I put the old 750GB HDD and the 1TB SSD in but not as a RAID1 but as separate drives and manually copy the contents from the old HDD to the new SSD - and not try to clone (is this better/quicker?)  Will the G8 read a solo HDD that was once part of a RAID1 mirror?  

3a Do I use AHCI or RAID mode?

3b If I have RAID1 for the data drive, and have the system SDD in one of the 4 bays, can I use AHCI for the system drive - or does it have to be all ACHI or all RAID?

4. Also can I salvage the memory from the Gen7 and use to upgrade the Gen8?

Apologies for the basic questions - not sure the right way to proceed.  

Thanks in advance.

What/how were the RAID1 arrays set up on th G7?

1. Need more info

2. That probably won't work. In most cases making a RAID1 array will erase data from both drives. What were you going to use to create the RAID1 array?

3. It depends on how the old RAID1 was created.

3b. It is either all AHCI or all RAID.

4. Maybe you will need to check the specs.

The N54l and the Gen8 share the name MicroServer. That is where the similarity ends.

What/how were the RAID1 arrays set up on th G7?

1. Need more info

2. That probably won't work. In most cases making a RAID1 array will erase data from both drives. What were you going to use to create the RAID1 array?

3. It depends on how the old RAID1 was created.

3b. It is either all AHCI or all RAID.

4. Maybe you will need to check the specs.

The N54l and the Gen8 share the name MicroServer. That is where the similarity ends.

Thanks.

Re 1 - not sure what info would help?

2. I planned to use the built-in RAID controller (B120i?) - and was hoping it would have some kind of 'detect' option and would simply pick up the existing mirrored pair of HDDs (if I put them in the same position?) - but from what you say, it sounds like the new RAID controller cannot detect/read an existing mirrored pair created by the old Microserver.

3.  I think the N54l RAID1s were created using the inbuilt HP tool - but I can't remember.

5. If I take one of the mirrored RAID1 data HDDs from the old Gen7 and put a SATA/USB connector on it, can I read it on another PC? I could then recover the data and start the Gen8 as a new-build.  The data is also in a cloud backup but would take ages to restore that way so prefer to copy locally.

The RAID in the N54l was AMD chipset RAID and is not compatible with the B120i. As you state above, use a USB to SATA adapter to see if you can read one of the drives.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

"Semi-noob questions:"

You are already 1 class up on me - after over 100 posts I have reached 'forum rank amateur' - and I'm a cheapskate to boot.

"My G7 N54L just died (probably power supply)."

Condolences on your loss. RIP another doughty G7. Don't cremate the box just yet - you may need to fit a new power supply to retrieve your data.

"(The new server should arrive in the morning!)"

There is an appropriate saying in chess: 'when you can see a good move, sit on your hands'.

"G7 - MS Small Business Server 2011 on RAID1 pair of HDDs

Data on another RAID1 pair of 750GB HDDs - presume the data is OK on the drives - want to bring the data over to new server

G8 - Will install WS 2012 Essentials R2 on 1x 256GB SSD

Data will go on a single 1TB SSD"

Did I mention I was a cheapskate yet?

Both your configurations strike me as a HIDEOUS overspend. Really.

Its like you put an 8 cylinder, fuel injected, turbo engine into a light 3 wheel car. OK, I exaggerate - you didn't add a turbo (unless you bought a fancy XEON CPU for the new G8?). I'm just guessing (lacking a specification), so I shouldn't say any more until you tell us how you intend to use the new G8: file server, VM test machine, DB server, ...? 

"Apologies for the basic questions - not sure the right way to proceed. "

There are no silly questions - only my silly answers.

Seriously ... I wouldn't want to offer suggestions until I knew what you intended to use the G8 for and which components you have already purchased/salvaged ... but I must say I find your configurations and questions ... strange.

Not to worry - you should have seen my first questions!

Edited by JackoUK

Reporting back in case it helps anyone else.

• Pulled one of the pair of RAID1-mirrored data drives from the dead Gen7 that was running Small Business Server 2011.
  • Attaching a SATA-USB cables and power supply I was able to read the full contents as a regular external hard drive when connected to a laptop.
  • When installed in the new Gen8 running 2012 Essentials R2, it not only read the contents of the old HDD without issue but recognised the drive as containing a ServerFolder.
  • (The new server is running AHCI as the drives are single SSDs this time not mirrored HDDs.)

The 2.5" SSD to 3.5" caddies I used are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Z2QDNE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and they fit perfectly re-using the HP screws (no scraping on insert).

And the old UPS (An APC BR550GI) worked fine over USB with Windows Server recognising it as a battery (with %age display in the system tray).  Setting Windows Power Settings to shut down on low battery = 80% when on battery seems to work without the need for PowerChute software.

Haven't explored ILO yet.