RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Reinstall Advice

chrisoldroyd

I have a home built WHS V1 which has been solid for nearly a year but I have a serious hardware problem which by process of elimination have discovered is a bad motherboard.

I have decided to order a new motherboard, processor and RAM and intend to attempt a server re-install tomorrow, is there anything I need to know, I am worried that I may lose my data but a re-install should just wipe the C partition and rebuild the data share access.

Main question is do I re-install with all the drives plugged in or just the system drive?

Also are there any other problems that I may encounter

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Chris

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• dvn

• pcdoc

• chrisoldroyd

I have a home built WHS V1 which has been solid for nearly a year but I have a serious hardware problem which by process of elimination have discovered is a bad motherboard.

I have decided to order a new motherboard, processor and RAM and intend to attempt a server re-install tomorrow, is there anything I need to know, I am worried that I may lose my data but a re-install should just wipe the C partition and rebuild the data share access.

Main question is do I re-install with all the drives plugged in or just the system drive?

Also are there any other problems that I may encounter

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Chris

When you reinstall WHS, you should choose the 1st option to do a Server Recovery. You can leave all the drives in the server in the current configuration. The option will delete and reinstall the c partition only. You should start by uninstalling the connector software on the PC because the install will try and reinstall it. If the current connector is there, the install will stop and you will be lost.

Once the server reboots a couple times you should install the connector using http://servername:55000 that should pop up the web page to download the connector, once that's run, you should be back to normal. WHS will have all your shares. But you will have to recreate the Users.

Here is a how to from Andrew Edney http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2009/05/31/how-to-perform-a-server-reinstallation-of-windows-home-server/

If you have the space, it might be worth removing 1 drive from the pool, copy all data to that drive, then remove it from the system before doing the reinstall. That way if something goes wrong, you still have the data on the drive. If all goes good (as I'd expect it to) then you can just put that drive back in and add it back to the pool.

You will also have to re-install any add-ins you if you have any. Pretty easy process but just a diehard say, make sure you have the Server Recovery. If you do not, don't proceed and make sure the primary drive is the first boot device. The rest is easy.

So it's all gone pear shaped, reinstall failed after formatting the C: partition, I rebooted to try again and now as it has formatted the C: partition it only offers a new install........arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

So my question is, can I set up again as new with the server pool drives disconnected , then do a reinstall with them in, would that work or am I looking at adding my data back in one disc at a time???

What happens to the data that was on the D: partition of the system drive, do I lose this also??

Thanks

Chris

So it's all gone pear shaped, reinstall failed after formatting the C: partition, I rebooted to try again and now as it has formatted the C: partition it only offers a new install........arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

So my question is, can I set up again as new with the server pool drives disconnected , then do a reinstall with them in, would that work or am I looking at adding my data back in one disc at a time???

What happens to the data that was on the D: partition of the system drive, do I lose this also??

Thanks

Chris

wow, bad luck.

You can get the data off the primary drive 1st if you put the drive in a PC, unhide the DE folder on the D: partition and copy the files off. Do the same with the other drives. Start a new Factory Reset with the 1st system drive. Then start copying your files back.

For the original pooled drives, you can 1st add one at a time as a non pooled drive and don't format it, using RDC, through, my computer, use view hidden folders and go into the the DE folder on the drive, copy the contents to the new system drive shared folders, once they are copied then you can remove the drive through the console as a non pooled drive then add it as a pooled drive so you now have more storage. then repeat the process with the next drive that has data you want to copy to the new pool.

If this sounds confusing, let me know/

wow, bad luck.

You can get the data off the primary drive 1st if you put the drive in a PC, unhide the DE folder on the D: partition and copy the files off. Do the same with the other drives. Start a new Factory Reset with the 1st system drive. Then start copying your files back.

For the original pooled drives, you can 1st add one at a time as a non pooled drive and don't format it, using RDC, through, my computer, use view hidden folders and go into the the DE folder on the drive, copy the contents to the new system drive shared folders, once they are copied then you can remove the drive through the console as a non pooled drive then add it as a pooled drive so you now have more storage. then repeat the process with the next drive that has data you want to copy to the new pool.

If this sounds confusing, let me know/

I have become an expert at this method. My reinstalls always fail. Just replaced my mb/cpu to get ready for Vail. I keep duplication off until everything is copied over and all drives added. Then once it is all good I turn it back on for the folder I want duped.

I am surprised you had to even do a re-install for a MB/CPU change. I have upraded 3 times and still on the original install. Are you switching platforms such as AMD to Intel or vise versa?

I am surprised you had to even do a re-install for a MB/CPU change. I have upraded 3 times and still on the original install. Are you switching platforms such as AMD to Intel or vise versa?

Interesting. You don't remember the MB/CPU's involved in those upgrades, do you?