RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tjstansell

OM2P-HS range/speed better than a Netgear AC1450?

itGeeks

Well, unfortunately open-mesh support never got back to me.  I sent them my question on July 22nd, got the "we've received your request" auto-reply, but then never got a real response.  I did play with changing various channels, testing signal strength at different locations, etc.  At one point I had the Netgear set on channel 44, the MR1750 on channel 149, and i turned off the actiontec entirely.  The signal strength of the OM was barely what the Netgear was (and after the Netgear's beamforming kicked in, it edged ahead) and the speed tests were all consistently slower on the OM.  I don't have any real numbers anymore to share, unfortunately.  I got tired of testing and my family was getting upset with having the wireless all messed up all the time.  Essentially I didn't see enough performance out of the MR1750 to make it worthwhile.  To adequately cover my house, I think I'd need at least 2 MR1750s, if not 3.  It's simply not worth it for me.  I'll post a new topic on my thoughts of the MR1750 and Cloudtrax UI.

For proper testing you should turn off all other WAP's when testing, Having other WAP's on will only create more interference and god knows we already have enough of that in our environments. Then if you don't believe OM is working well give them a call and explain your situation and they will help get you sorted. I have talked with them several times and they are great. Phone # 503-616-2764 press 1 for pre sales tech support, Yes I know you own it already but they will help you.

tjstansell

For proper testing you should turn off all other WAP's when testing, Having other WAP's on will only create more interference and god knows we already have enough of that in our environments. Then if you don't believe OM is working well give them a call and explain your situation and they will help get you sorted. I have talked with them several times and they are great. Phone # 503-616-2764 press 1 for pre sales tech support, Yes I know you own it already but they will help you.

I disagree that I need all other WAPs off for "proper testing".  Side-by-side testing with two units running on entirely different channels should give "similar" results.  Especially when you're right next to them with line of sight.  And if anything, I would expect the device on the higher 5 Ghz channels to do better than the lower channels because of the higher max transmit power.  Unfortunately, the OM did worse than the Netgear even when it was on the higher channel with regard to transmit speeds.  The fact that I couldn't get the OM to get above about 120 Mbps max in all of my testing tells me a lot.  I saw the Netgear hit 450Mbps when doing download tests when I was right next to it.

Honestly, if the OM devices require this much fine-tuning and doesn't handle interference well also tells me I'd rather stick with my Netgear (sadly).  Again, it's a cost/performance/ease of configuration set of trade-offs and the OM didn't cut it for me.

itGeeks

I disagree that I need all other WAPs off for "proper testing".  Side-by-side testing with two units running on entirely different channels should give "similar" results.  Especially when you're right next to them with line of sight.  And if anything, I would expect the device on the higher 5 Ghz channels to do better than the lower channels because of the higher max transmit power.  Unfortunately, the OM did worse than the Netgear even when it was on the higher channel with regard to transmit speeds.  The fact that I couldn't get the OM to get above about 120 Mbps max in all of my testing tells me a lot.  I saw the Netgear hit 450Mbps when doing download tests when I was right next to it.

Honestly, if the OM devices require this much fine-tuning and doesn't handle interference well also tells me I'd rather stick with my Netgear (sadly).  Again, it's a cost/performance/ease of configuration set of trade-offs and the OM didn't cut it for me.

Netgear is a consumer product OM is not so there maybe some tuning to get the results your looking for. Sorry OM did not make the cut.

tjstansell

I finally got a response from OM support:

"Due to feature overhead, performance on the MR1750 currently tops out at 100 - 125 megabits/sec. We are getting close to starting beta testing on a new 6.2 firmware revision, which will allow you to turn off some of these features to improve speed, if desired."

So there you go. They didn't even comment on the fact the range was lower than the AC1450.