RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tjstansell

OM2P-HS range/speed better than a Netgear AC1450?

tjstansell

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the OM2P-HS in comparison to some other routers/access points that are known for good coverage?  I currently have a Netgear AC1450 I got from Costco a year or two ago, which has beam forming and it seems to have pretty decent coverage across my whole house, but not on the edges where I have a couple of cheap amcrest webcams.  I saw reviews on thewirecutter about how great the Archer C7 coverage was, so I tried it and it was worse than my Netgear (I think the beam forming on the netgear was what helped).  I currently have an old Dlink DIR-855 I'm using to try to add extra coverage using the same SSID for the 2.4GHz band, but even though it's 50' closer to my webcam, it's only marginally better than the Netgear.

Anyway, after following all of the wifi threads here I've been looking at the Open-Mesh products.  They seem awesome and while I was a Luma pre-order, I cancelled it because of the way the company has handled everything.  Plus, I'm not really 100% comfortable with sending all of my internet usage "to the cloud" and relying on these new startups.  I want a product that will continue to work if/when they go under in a few years. ;)  So, back to looking at Open-Mesh.  I was looking at their products and it looks like the OM2P-HS should have the greatest coverage.  More even than the MR1750 or the OM5P-AC.  At this point I think I only care about 2.4GHz coverage (I only have a few 5Ghz devices I care about and they are handled fine by the Netgear) so the fact the OM2P-HS only does 2.4GHz is fine by me.  While it claims to support up to 300Mbps, it's unfortunate that it only includes 100Mbps ethernet.

I'm hoping that I can either replace the 2.4GHz band from the Netgear with this OM2P-HS and have full 2.4GHz coverage everywhere, or at the very least set it up with the same SSID, but then i run into the problem of devices not jumping to the best AP because it's not a true mesh with band steering and all that.  Maybe I could add two OM2P-HS devices in their own mesh for 2.4GHz and that would still be under $200.

I know it's very subjective because of my particular house, layout, etc to know whether or not the OM2P-HS would have better coverage than my Netgear, but I'm curious if folks have compared this to similar routers to what I have and can comment on increased coverage and such.

I'm also being a bit of a cheapskate... I don't want to fork over >$350 for an MR1750 ($220) + OM5P-AC ($140) to probably get similar coverage if a single OM2P-HS (<$100) can fix my 2.4GHz issues.

edit:

Oh, I forgot to mention that my house is about 3700 sq ft, two story.  I have my Netgear on a window valence (so about 9' up) right in the back middle of my house (first floor) where it can cover the entire backyard and most of the inside of my house pretty well.  It's out in the front yard where the webcams are that get marginal coverage.  So, about 50-60' away, through a few walls, one going through the garage, and likely through my stove in the kitchen... not great for a wireless signal to get through there.

Edited by tjstansell

pcdoc

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the OM2P-HS in comparison to some other routers/access points that are known for good coverage?  I currently have a Netgear AC1450 I got from Costco a year or two ago, which has beam forming and it seems to have pretty decent coverage across my whole house, but not on the edges where I have a couple of cheap amcrest webcams.  I saw reviews on thewirecutter about how great the Archer C7 coverage was, so I tried it and it was worse than my Netgear (I think the beam forming on the netgear was what helped).  I currently have an old Dlink DIR-855 I'm using to try to add extra coverage using the same SSID for the 2.4GHz band, but even though it's 50' closer to my webcam, it's only marginally better than the Netgear.

Anyway, after following all of the wifi threads here I've been looking at the Open-Mesh products.  They seem awesome and while I was a Luma pre-order, I cancelled it because of the way the company has handled everything.  Plus, I'm not really 100% comfortable with sending all of my internet usage "to the cloud" and relying on these new startups.  I want a product that will continue to work if/when they go under in a few years. ;)  So, back to looking at Open-Mesh.  I was looking at their products and it looks like the OM2P-HS should have the greatest coverage.  More even than the MR1750 or the OM5P-AC.  At this point I think I only care about 2.4GHz coverage (I only have a few 5Ghz devices I care about and they are handled fine by the Netgear) so the fact the OM2P-HS only does 2.4GHz is fine by me.  While it claims to support up to 300Mbps, it's unfortunate that it only includes 100Mbps ethernet.

I'm hoping that I can either replace the 2.4GHz band from the Netgear with this OM2P-HS and have full 2.4GHz coverage everywhere, or at the very least set it up with the same SSID, but then i run into the problem of devices not jumping to the best AP because it's not a true mesh with band steering and all that.  Maybe I could add two OM2P-HS devices in their own mesh for 2.4GHz and that would still be under $200.

I know it's very subjective because of my particular house, layout, etc to know whether or not the OM2P-HS would have better coverage than my Netgear, but I'm curious if folks have compared this to similar routers to what I have and can comment on increased coverage and such.

I'm also being a bit of a cheapskate... I don't want to fork over >$350 for an MR1750 ($220) + OM5P-AC ($140) to probably get similar coverage if a single OM2P-HS (<$100) can fix my 2.4GHz issues.

edit:

Oh, I forgot to mention that my house is about 3700 sq ft, two story.  I have my Netgear on a window valence (so about 9' up) right in the back middle of my house (first floor) where it can cover the entire backyard and most of the inside of my house pretty well.  It's out in the front yard where the webcams are that get marginal coverage.  So, about 50-60' away, through a few walls, one going through the garage, and likely through my stove in the kitchen... not great for a wireless signal to get through there.

Very hard to answer that question as there are so many variables.  For starters, I do not actually believe that the HS will out perform the MR1750 even at the 2.4 and it is my guess it would perform better than the Netgear but it is impossible to say by how much unless you try it.  The transmit power of the MR is extremely good.  My suggestion is to go disable all the wifi on your Netgear and deploy the the MR1750 as your primary wifi.  Granted you could go with just disabling the 2.4 in your netgear and using the HS as you 2.4 band but you would be missing on future growth and the future use of technologies like band steering.  It will be easier to add APs and create a mesh to get extra coverage should you need it if you use a good base platform.  Extending the Netgear is a bit tricky and is a manual process.  I know this is a bit more expensive but I believe you would be happier in the long run.

itGeeks

Very hard to answer that question as there are so many variables.  For starters, I do not actually believe that the HS will out perform the MR1750 even at the 2.4 and it is my guess it would perform better than the Netgear but it is impossible to say by how much unless you try it.  The transmit power of the MR is extremely good.  My suggestion is to go disable all the wifi on your Netgear and deploy the the MR1750 as your primary wifi.  Granted you could go with just disabling the 2.4 in your netgear and using the HS as you 2.4 band but you would be missing on future growth and the future use of technologies like band steering.  It will be easier to add APs and create a mesh to get extra coverage should you need it if you use a good base platform.  Extending the Netgear is a bit tricky and is a manual process.  I know this is a bit more expensive but I believe you would be happier in the long run.

I agree with pcdoc. Scrap all the wireless you have now and purchase one MR1750 to try from Amazon as they have a great 30 day no hassel return policy if you don't like it or it does not solve your problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Open-Mesh-MR1750-802-11ac-Access-Point/dp/B0153YP5RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469015785&sr=8-1&keywords=mr1750

I think you will be very surprised how well they perform and cover. I know 220.00 is a lot of coin but I think the return on investment your going to get will be worth it.

tjstansell

Well, I ordered an MR1750 and it arrived today. I'm sad to say that it seems to have worse coverage than my netgear. That's after I made sure to upgrade to the latest firmware (6.1.1) and set the antenna power to the highest setting (400 mW). The 2.4 ghz band seems to be only slightly worse for signal strength but 5 ghz is much worse. Just 15' away from both of them my MacBook sees the netgear signal as -37 and openmesh as -53. I'm going to have to do a bunch more tweaking and testing tomorrow, but it doesn't look good. I'm sad.

I'm also sad there doesn't seem to be a way to limit an ssid to a single band so I can easily split 2.4 and 5 so I can force devices on one or another.

So far I'm pretty disappointed.

I'm hoping to do more extensive testing and I'll try to publish some results here for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itGeeks

Well, I ordered an MR1750 and it arrived today. I'm sad to say that it seems to have worse coverage than my netgear. That's after I made sure to upgrade to the latest firmware (6.1.1) and set the antenna power to the highest setting (400 mW). The 2.4 ghz band seems to be only slightly worse for signal strength but 5 ghz is much worse. Just 15' away from both of them my MacBook sees the netgear signal as -37 and openmesh as -53. I'm going to have to do a bunch more tweaking and testing tomorrow, but it doesn't look good. I'm sad.

I'm also sad there doesn't seem to be a way to limit an ssid to a single band so I can easily split 2.4 and 5 so I can force devices on one or another.

So far I'm pretty disappointed.

I'm hoping to do more extensive testing and I'll try to publish some results here for others.

How do you have the MR1750 mounted? More power does not win you better performance in fact setting the AP to the highest setting could be hurting you more then helping if you live in a dense neighborhood, FYI

Have you used a WiFi analyzer to see what channel your on for both 2.4 and 5GHz and make sure the recommended is the same?

dBm aside have you run any speed tests?

It takes OM a week or so to learn your surrounding and automatically make adjustments when maintenance is run once per day.

As for your disappointment on the lack of splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz band you never want to do that, The AP and device should agree on the best/correct band otherwise you could end up with disconnects. If your devices don't seem to be using the correct band then try enabling bandsteering and see what happens, Mileage will vary. The new 6.2 beta (not out yet) according to OM will allow you to limit bandsteering to certain devices because some devices such as Nest thermostat don't seem to like it. Right now bandsteering is an all or nothing for the entire wireless network.

Edited by itGeeks

tjstansell

The MR1750 is sitting on top of a cabinet next to my Netgear.  I tried flipping it upside down, standing it on it's side, etc.  It doesn't seem to change the fact that the signal is always a fair amount less than the Netgear.  I bought a TRENDnet PoE+ switch to use with it, so that's sitting there near them and what's powering the MR1750.  As for antenna power, I'm not sure how setting a higher power would give me less of a signal, if that's what you are suggesting.  Though this is one of the things I'm going to be playing with today while I do more extensive testing.

I've been using NetSpot on my Macbook Pro to look at the surrounding wireless networks.  The only 5Ghz signals I see are these two devices and an Actiontec wireless HDMI unit I have in my house and none of the bands are overlapping.  MR1750 is using band 44, Netgear 149, and Actiontec 157. On 2.4Ghz there's only about 6 I see from neighbors ... and all of the signals are below -75 RSSI, most below -82.

I'm not sure what to expect the OM to "learn" during the next week.  Is that just what channels to use, because they seem fine right now.  And actually, I've forced them to these specific channels to keep them from moving around as I do testing.

The comment about wanting different bands on different SSIDs is more for ease of testing or for forcing a single device to one band or another if it looks like it's not performing well.  I understand that in normal situations, it should be transparent and I shouldn't have to think about it.  I'd like to be able to easily test against 5Ghz when I want to, then separately for 2.4Ghz.  My Macbook Pro by far gets the best signal and shows the most consistent speed tests with my Netgear and sitting on my desk upstairs (where I work and I'm writing this) essentially 15' away and through a floor, it selects the 2.4 band from the OM and doing 30-second iperf3 speed tests I'm seeing the per-second rates with Min/Avg/Max of 53/80/96 Mbps.  Comparing that to the netgear on 2.4Ghz, I get speeds of 65/86/98.  Forcing my connection to 5Ghz on the netgear, I get 187/233/249.  I did try to enable band steering on the OM and it did eventually kick my laptop over to 5Ghz, but only after the network came and went about 3 times. Maybe that was the OM reconfiguring itself after the configuration change, rather than the band steering itself.  On 5Ghz on the OM I got 26/74/89.  BTW, these are all iperf3 upload tests to my desktop.  In other testing I've done, download speeds are generally faster, but to compare the OM against the Netgear this is sufficient.

tjstansell

Writing my previous post, I got curious about download tests (since they had all been upload so far).  So, I ran iperf3 on my desktop sending traffic to my Macbook Pro.  On the OM's 5Ghz (power was set to 200mW), I got 4/30/50 Mbps for min/avg/max over a 30 second test.  Flipping to the 5Ghz on the Netgear, I get 257/284/295.   Changing the OM back to 400mW power, I ran another test after I saw my wireless drop and reconnect (which seems to be the only way to know if the OM changes it's configuration) I got 33/43/55, marginally better than 200mW but still way below the Netgear.

I might have to contact Open-mesh support and see what they say before I give up.

itGeeks

The MR1750 is sitting on top of a cabinet next to my Netgear.  I tried flipping it upside down, standing it on it's side, etc.  It doesn't seem to change the fact that the signal is always a fair amount less than the Netgear.  I bought a TRENDnet PoE+ switch to use with it, so that's sitting there near them and what's powering the MR1750.  As for antenna power, I'm not sure how setting a higher power would give me less of a signal, if that's what you are suggesting.  Though this is one of the things I'm going to be playing with today while I do more extensive testing.

I've been using NetSpot on my Macbook Pro to look at the surrounding wireless networks.  The only 5Ghz signals I see are these two devices and an Actiontec wireless HDMI unit I have in my house and none of the bands are overlapping.  MR1750 is using band 44, Netgear 149, and Actiontec 157. On 2.4Ghz there's only about 6 I see from neighbors ... and all of the signals are below -75 RSSI, most below -82.

I'm not sure what to expect the OM to "learn" during the next week.  Is that just what channels to use, because they seem fine right now.  And actually, I've forced them to these specific channels to keep them from moving around as I do testing.

The comment about wanting different bands on different SSIDs is more for ease of testing or for forcing a single device to one band or another if it looks like it's not performing well.  I understand that in normal situations, it should be transparent and I shouldn't have to think about it.  I'd like to be able to easily test against 5Ghz when I want to, then separately for 2.4Ghz.  My Macbook Pro by far gets the best signal and shows the most consistent speed tests with my Netgear and sitting on my desk upstairs (where I work and I'm writing this) essentially 15' away and through a floor, it selects the 2.4 band from the OM and doing 30-second iperf3 speed tests I'm seeing the per-second rates with Min/Avg/Max of 53/80/96 Mbps.  Comparing that to the netgear on 2.4Ghz, I get speeds of 65/86/98.  Forcing my connection to 5Ghz on the netgear, I get 187/233/249.  I did try to enable band steering on the OM and it did eventually kick my laptop over to 5Ghz, but only after the network came and went about 3 times. Maybe that was the OM reconfiguring itself after the configuration change, rather than the band steering itself.  On 5Ghz on the OM I got 26/74/89.  BTW, these are all iperf3 upload tests to my desktop.  In other testing I've done, download speeds are generally faster, but to compare the OM against the Netgear this is sufficient.

Thanks for the info. If you have not do so please turn off all other WAP's in the house and on OM set the transmit power back to auto and set the 5GHZ channel to 149 and retest. The lower channels use less power so your Netgear has the advantage at this point. https://w.wol.ph/2015/08/28/maximum-wifi-transmission-power-country/

Edited by itGeeks

pcdoc

Wow. Did not expect that result. Would definitely contact them.

tjstansell

Well, unfortunately open-mesh support never got back to me.  I sent them my question on July 22nd, got the "we've received your request" auto-reply, but then never got a real response.  I did play with changing various channels, testing signal strength at different locations, etc.  At one point I had the Netgear set on channel 44, the MR1750 on channel 149, and i turned off the actiontec entirely.  The signal strength of the OM was barely what the Netgear was (and after the Netgear's beamforming kicked in, it edged ahead) and the speed tests were all consistently slower on the OM.  I don't have any real numbers anymore to share, unfortunately.  I got tired of testing and my family was getting upset with having the wireless all messed up all the time.  Essentially I didn't see enough performance out of the MR1750 to make it worthwhile.  To adequately cover my house, I think I'd need at least 2 MR1750s, if not 3.  It's simply not worth it for me.  I'll post a new topic on my thoughts of the MR1750 and Cloudtrax UI.